• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going in the water

Anybody else like taking a swimming break during a round?

When our nearby Vicksburg Recreation Area course first opened last year, I launched an upshot that nicked a tree, veered off course, and landed smack-dab onto a small island with a swampy moat surrounding it. (It's to the right of Hole #16, and directly next to #15's tee area).

It was an 8 or 10-year-old Aviar P & A that I had been conditioning to replace my trusty 1999 Soft Magnet, which I use for turnover/dogleg right putting magic, should it disintegrate into a pile of powder sooner or later. In other words, this DX putter means something to me, and I wasn't about to leave it on that island, which is maybe the size of a portable kiddie swimming pool.

Someone had thoughtfully laid three or four thick branches across the "moat" surrounding the island. Perfect. I'd just strut across the moat on this fine November aftern...

It only took a split second before my shoulders were even with my rear-end, but it seemed like it took ten minutes to fall into the water. And it wasn't just a foot or two deep. I was fully immersed, baptised by the murky waters in the name of my messiah and savior, Larry Labond...

The water is so darn dark and scanky down here you can't see more than a few inches below the surface. Then there are the Cotton mouths, snapping turtles, leeches, flesh eating bacteria, broken bottles.... yeah no. :sick: I'll eat the $15.

Never leave a man behind. I usually wait until the round is over, but always give it a go. Usually end up finding someone else's disc, as well. Yes, I have stepped on giant snapping turtles and I did my best Jesus impression; I walked on water, baby. The bacteria is the scariest thing.

Water trips are worth it

I once went into water in Wisconsin in late October after a new Sidewinder. Instead found three beater discs. One was a Cobra I got some good use out of. It was about 40 degrees and I definitely felt a little strange after 10-15 mins in the water up to my neck. Water is still beating me 7-3 on discs.

I play winthrop a few times a week, and I used to be all about going in. Now I have a sweet rake that lives in the bed of my truck. I loan it out more than I use it myself. My only rule that if you borrow it, I get any extra discs as long as they don't have ink!

just past the basket? that one's not too bad. i'd consider it

No, it was more like just across the bridge - playing with a bunch of noobs. My shot cleared, but 2-3 of our group threw in the quagmire..... everyone kind of hyzered right into the water...:doh:

If I can't get it with my Golden Retriever , its gone. I am not going in the water after any disc

Oh. Parkside. I had north in my head. Yeah that one I'd be less likely to go in. Nice work

I go in the water every time i or someone with me throws into the water. dont care what the water is or looks like. i get discs back.

went in the water 3 times over 4days the last DGCR VIP meetup/camp trip. once in a stream in ohio to get mjoyce's disc, swam to the middle of a lake at lincoln ridge for oldbassman's sidewinder, and the last time at idle wild for myself to get my 11x eagle back. The guys even got a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrMBUegjfy8

That's some unfriendly looking water.

do those things actually work? i just can't see how they would snag something if it were edge-down. do they penetrate down through the muck?

Yes, though not 100%. If you can see the disc, you have an excellent chance. If you can't, but the bottom is smooth and you have a general idea of where it is, you have a decent chance. You can even drag blindly, and occasionally come up with something.

Last week I put one in about 15-20' off shore, narrowed down to about a 30' length of shoreline. I recovered it with about 20 semi-blind throws.

I bought a $10 pair of water shoes for our trip to the Bahamas a couple years ago, and found they are great to wade into any water hazard with. I also use them to walk my dog down the river, where I've found about 30 discs in the last couple years.

I've pulled numerous discs out of the water, if I think there is a possibility of me finding my disc, I'm going after it. The problem is at my home course, the water is around 40 feet deep with steep banks, so more often than not, it's gone.

I've pulled numerous discs out of the water, if I think there is a possibility of me finding my disc, I'm going after it. The problem is at my home course, the water is around 40 feet deep with steep banks, so more often than not, it's gone.

40 feet? That's a deep body of water! Is it a lake or what?

I spend a good bit of time in the Stoney Hill pond, during the warmer months, feeling along the bottom with my feet for discs.

The appearance of snapping turtles in the pond this year made this a lot more exhilarating. Hoping my toes can distinguish a hard, round disc from a hard, round shell. Assurances that the turtles are timid in the water haven't quite convinced me.

Latest posts