• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to ALASKA on honeymoon.

njdevilsphan

Bogey Member
I'm going to Alaska on our honeymoon in about 15 days. We will be all over the place as we are taking a cruise tour. I know there are courses around Fairbanks and some other places we will be. Just wondering if anyone has been there before, where to buy some discs and where should I play if i can work it in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm going to Alaska on our honeymoon in about 15 days. We will be all over the place as we are taking a cruise tour. I know there are courses around Fairbanks and some other places we will be. Just wondering if anyone has been there before, where to buy some discs and where should I play if i can work it in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I went on a cruise last year in Alaska and I loved it. Everywhere you look is picturesque. I encourage you to go on some of the excursions like whale watching, taking a seaplane ride (AWESOME), etc. There are several to choose from. What ports of call are you going to? Sorry I am answering none of your questions but I just felt I had to tell you about the excursions that you should take that the cruiseline provides. BTW IMO, taking a cruise is the only way to vacation. My wife and I are going on an eastern caribbean cruise next Feb.

This is a small list of people who are registered to be living in Alaska. Doesn't guarantee they are active, hope it helps.

88weeks
Chainfinder
Djza
Double_eagle
leftybagger
MasterP97
mikko95
Sean40474
Spawned_Out
TerryC...
wikitsnowninja
Winkdude

We are going to be in Fairbanks 3 days, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Seward, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and end up in Vancouver. We are doing a plane ride around Mt. McKinley that's all i have booked so far, trying to scrap up some funds for other stuff but i just bought a new camera for the trip.

Thanks for the list of ppl i'll check them out.

There will be a lot to see and do with very little time. Playing disc golf will feel like a major waste of precious vacation time.

Anchorage has a nice collection of courses. They all have their own personality, which gives you a completely new experience each time you play a new one.

MUST PLAY!
Kincaid Park DGC Anchorage, AK . It's very close to the Anchorage airport, so cut your sightseeing three hours short to play it on your way home. It may be the most perfect disc golf course, but I only allocated two hours, so couldn't hit all the holes. Biggest regret of my trip.

Highly Recommended
Hilltop Ski Area Anchorage, AK. A lot of fun, on a ski hill. The quality of the design hits you in the face.

Fun enough to be worth the time to play if you are there (in order of fun-ness):
Peters Creek DGC Chugiak, AK So many trees you almost get claustrophobia, but the flight lines are all there for you to hit. Or not. A unique experience.
Kenai Eagle DGC Kenai, AK Play through the woods, interesting lines. Not long. Hook up with a local if you can, to get all the secret routes and tees.
Girdwood DGC Girdwood, AK Nothing special, but it's still disc golf.
Mountain DGC @ Alyeska Resort Girdwood, AK Another ski area, but kind of rough around the edges, which detracts from the experience, and only 9 holes. Play it if you stay there.
Russian Jack Springs Anchorage, AK Not the best example of adding disc golf to a golf course, and they charge too much.

We are going to be in Fairbanks 3 days, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Seward, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and end up in Vancouver. We are doing a plane ride around Mt. McKinley that's all i have booked so far, trying to scrap up some funds for other stuff but i just bought a new camera for the trip.

Thanks for the list of ppl i'll check them out.

Wow....sounds like your taking a long cruise!! My cruise only stopped at Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan with a few days out to sea. Ketchikan is where I took the seaplane ride. In Skagway we took a bus about an hour into Canada, and an old fashioned steam train back, they provided a hot lunch and it was really scenic. In juneau we went on the whale watching excursion. Once again, I highly recommend you go do these once in a lifetime experiences. I guarantee you will never forget them.

I'm not sure if i will be able to play but I want to cross the state off my list since I do not know when the next time I will be there. Thanks for all the info. If I can squeeze in a quick round that would be great just need to find a place to buy a couple of discs. I guess that's the biggest problem well besides trying to convince her to let me play.

I'm not sure if i will be able to play but I want to cross the state off my list since I do not know when the next time I will be there. Thanks for all the info. If I can squeeze in a quick round that would be great just need to find a place to buy a couple of discs. I guess that's the biggest problem well besides trying to convince her to let me play.

Just stick a couple of your own diva in the bottom Of a suitcase, just be sure they don't warp.

I highly recommend Kincaid Park. I played the course yesterday and its open. We had a record snowfall this year. Lots of snow still on the course. Xtra Tuffs (rubber boots) required at this time of year. Its warming up and the ground is VERY wet.

I would normally recommend Westchester Park for a quick/fun short course in the middle of town as well. However, the city just removed the baskets. So dont try that course.
Long story- (link if intrested)
http://www.adn.com/2012/04/23/2437055/westchester-disc-golf-course-to.html

Hilltop disc golf course will likely be closed still because its on a ski slope and people are still skiing.
Birchwood is open and provides a challenge because its very wooded. It is a short drive from Anchorage.
At this time of year I would just try and play Kincaid if you have the time.

Discs can be purchased in town.

Sports Authority
Play it Again Sports (overpriced)
The Female Athlete (best prices)

I'll drop you a PM as well. Have fun!

If she doesn't let you play ... there's still time to call off the wedding, right?

Anyone know if Aant'iyeik Park in Juneau is walkable or at least a quick taxi ride from where the cruise ships come in?

played 2 courses in Alaska last time I was out there

If your in Seward theres a course at the middle school that is a quick play but nothing special.

There is also a course on the campus of Univ Alaska Fairbanks. Hard to navigate but great views of the city.

Fairbanks is a blast by the way.

Latest posts