• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to Denver this winter, what courses are typically good to play?

KillerKoala777

Par Member
I am going to Colorado to go skiing this January but will have a couple days in Denver before I head to the mountains. I am looking for a course or two to play.

I don't know how much snow Denver usually has in late January. Is there usually enough snow to matter when choosing a course? I don't want to lose a disc or go to a course that is unplayable.

Also just looking for that "must play course" since I will likely only have time for one round

Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat it. Typically more than three or four inches of snow is rare and it usually melts off in a day or so.

I will be skiing at Vail. Are there any courses that are open in the winter near there? I have a week so I won't want to ski all day everyday. I see on the course search that there are a couple in the area, I just can't tell what is open in the winter

You should be fine in Denver proper, it's the mountain courses that you may lose a disc at. Unfortunately you're going to have to do a little driving to get to a decent course in the Denver area. I lived near there for a couple years and there's only Lakewood Dry Gulch that's in Denver-proper, and I never got around to actually playing it. Adam's Hollow in Brighton is a decent course, Fehringer Ranch (Littleton) was a personal fave. Johnny Roberts is a unique experience and pretty fun (Arvada). My personal advice though would be to skip Denver itself and get over to one of the great courses in Colorado like Beaver Ranch or Bucksnort. They're a decent drive from Denver but well worth it. If you have the time/ability to do so. There are also a fair few decent courses in the mountains themselves, depending on where you're going skiing.

The Frisco/Dillon area has a couple courses. I never made it to Frisco but Dillon's Lake Dillon DGC is a fun one for sure - it's a hike for sure though so be prepared. Lots of elevation. Bring lots of water if you go. It also has a killer top of the world shot. Since I've left there's apparently a whole other course next to it now too. Dillon is like a half hour from Vail (assuming good traffic), so not right next door but it might as well be.

You should be fine in Denver proper, it's the mountain courses that you may lose a disc at. Unfortunately you're going to have to do a little driving to get to a decent course in the Denver area. I lived near there for a couple years and there's only Lakewood Dry Gulch that's in Denver-proper, and I never got around to actually playing it. Adam's Hollow in Brighton is a decent course, Fehringer Ranch (Littleton) was a personal fave. Johnny Roberts is a unique experience and pretty fun (Arvada). My personal advice though would be to skip Denver itself and get over to one of the great courses in Colorado like Beaver Ranch or Bucksnort. They're a decent drive from Denver but well worth it. If you have the time/ability to do so. There are also a fair few decent courses in the mountains themselves, depending on where you're going skiing.

I would temper your expectations.... It is very likely that anywhere in the mountains will be unplayable without serious snow preparations including Beaver, Bailey, Bucksnort, Bear, Wondervu, Ghost Town and definitely anything out towards the ski resorts such as Dillon or Frisco or Cross Creek. If somehow we arent snowed out I would recommend Beaver Ranch. Best Denver-ish area course not in the mountains will be Prickly Pines but that is about an hour from town - and gets its own fair share of snow.

Unlike what other said, I would argue it is very common that we get dumped on in Denver well over 6 or 8 inches regularly in January and most courses are pretty tough to play on those days, and become mudpits thereafter. If you're dead set on playing - even if snowed out - I would stick to short courses like Johnny Roberts or Village Greens. Most courses in the Denver area are wide open plains type courses with few trees with the main variable between courses being length - so you will get a similar vibe no matter where you go here in town and should always at least be able to see the mountains from just about any course. Most folks in town head east to Optimist/Pessimist in Ft Morgan once the snow gets out of hand here in town.

The snow here is weird though - it can snow heavy one day and be totally melted and gone days later; or there may be a forecast for 1" and we get 10". Try to stay flexible with your plans since you really wont know what to expect until the week of your trip.

One last note: Denver is currently in the driest, warmest Fall of all time and we have gotten Zero Snow thus far, this late into the year. The Weather wizards are convinced that means we'll have an extra heavy winter....

Shadrach3 has a recent, very informative review of Lake Dillon, btw

Let's start with saying that weather is key, if the season continues like it is (dry dry dry) you will be fine in the Denver area. I saw recommendations for Johnny roberts putter course and unless there has been recent snow will be fine. Others to think about , prickley pines ( apox 1 hr south of town) needs to be dry it has trees to block the sun. I would not recommend beaver ranch they have very steep terrain and trees and higher elevation so more snow
IMO there is no course in the Denver area that is a must play other than Johnny's
In Summit co area- before the pass is lake Dillion and peak one. Frisco peak one pulls pins in the winter. Lake Dillion would only be playable if there is 0 snow and I doubt that will happen it is very steep and has added elevation that will be hard to navigate in snow
In eagle county west of vail
Your best bet might be single tree or hole in the sky
Single tree is not really worth playing 9 holes of nothing in a field. This is a bad course and IMO is not fun but only 15 min from vail
25 min from vail is hole in the sky in eagle it is a nice course with great views, the problem here will be conditions and the course has some areas that if you throw it in the eagle river She's gone! HITS could have the best shot at being playable if there is very little snow and if moderate snow is at least flatter and easier to navigate. Cross creek is my favorite course in eagle county but will not be playable!!! No chance, in winter.
I lived in edwards and let me tell you disc golf will be difficult if not impossible unless you get lucky and have no snow..
There is a good video on YouTube of K jones making an ace at HITS in the snow.. the first 3 holes are usually playable there even if there is feet of snow. Good luck and play disc down in town! While you are in vail stick to the slopes.

Camenish Park and Exposition park are both near Denver and fun as well if you're snowed out of the mountains. They get windy so keep that in mind. They're both free to play all year. Been awhile since I've been out there so I'd double check they're both in and open but I remember them being not far from Denver at all.

Adams hollow is decent.

Prickly pines is great but a drive.

Don't forget to hit FlyGreen DG shop.

Good suggestions all around. My main goal is to play a course, any course in Colorado to add it to my list of states played. My secondary goal is to play a fun course that I will enjoy. But I am more than willing to play the crappiest 9 hole, just to say I played in Colorado.
I am a beginner bagger whose goal is to play as many courses as possible. I am not yet to 100 but I hope to be by the end of next year.

Good suggestions all around. My main goal is to play a course, any course in Colorado to add it to my list of states played. My secondary goal is to play a fun course that I will enjoy. But I am more than willing to play the crappiest 9 hole, just to say I played in Colorado.
I am a beginner bagger whose goal is to play as many courses as possible. I am not yet to 100 but I hope to be by the end of next year.

I totally understand the feeling! Anytime I go anywhere my first goal is to figure out a way to squeeze a round in at a new course.

If looking for shorter/quicker courses:

Ken Karyl is a nice 9 holer

there is a big cluster of High school and elementary school courses on the south side of town, none very good but they're there

Jonny Roberts is your best bet for a decent short course on the north side of town, and has perhaps the longest history of any Denver area course, although I never understand the oft heard sentiment:
IMO there is no course in the Denver area that is a must play other than Johnny's
IMO Jonny is more of an Avoid-Play any time other than winter - when the course isnt totally overcrowded

Dry Dock is a decent 9 hole double loop at a brewery, good bet if youre on east side of town

Lakewood dry gulch is the worst course around in terms of run ins with disc thieves and is just not much fun and very hard

Village Greens, Expo or Centre Hills probably your best bet if your gonna be IN town but these are more like regular length par 3 courses. Expo just got baskets switched out and they may still be working on it - definitely check Udisc or Facebook to see if its open.

Adams Hollow is nice if youre way up north. It has also been closed for construction recently so make sure to check the status before making the drive out there.

Camenish is still around and is actually 2 courses - Badlands upper and Badlands Lower - both fun but can be hard to navigate and not very short/quick. might run across some strange folks over there also...

Honorable mention goes to Fehringer, Westfork and Westcreek - all a bit longer and pretty much wide open

I had a few work trips near Denver and had a chance to play a couple mountain courses and several courses actually around Denver. I would expect mountain courses won't be an option, but that Denver itself is a decent chance. Personally, Beaver Ranch was my favorite of the 6 I played, and of the ones actually in Denver either Johnny Roberts or Interlocken.

Also, just judging off your DGCR courses played it looks like this may be your first time playing at elevation? Just as a heads up, discs will be WAY more stable than you're used to in Alabama, even on the non-mountain courses (though not quite as much). Expect a 2 disc difference in Denver, 3 in the mountains. I was throwing DX discs I hadn't touched since I first started playing and they were still finishing left.

. . . But I am more than willing to play the crappiest 9 hole, just to say I played in Colorado.

If you are looking for a crappy 5-hole course, I can recommend the 1.36-rated Louisville DGC. You could bag Colorado in about 15 minutes. :p

If you are looking for a crappy 5-hole course, I can recommend the 1.36-rated Louisville DGC. You could bag Colorado in about 15 minutes. :p

If I was going to bag CO in the Denver area with minimum effort I'd have to go with Dry Dock. At least you can grab a pizza and a beer in the process.

Unlike what other said, I would argue it is very common that we get dumped on in Denver well over 6 or 8 inches regularly in January

Well, the weather people who track the statistics would probably disagree with you.

"The average sliding 31-day snowfall during January in Denver is essentially constant, remaining about 1.9 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 4.7 inches or falling to 0.0 inches."

I do agree that whatever they're forecasting is seldom correct.

Well, the weather people who track the statistics would probably disagree with you.

“The average sliding 31-day snowfall during January in Denver is essentially constant, remaining about 1.9 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 4.7 inches or falling to 0.0 inches.”

I do agree that whatever they’re forecasting is seldom correct.

yea youre right, january just Feels so snowy I guess
OP probably has a good chance of finding a dry course in Denver at least

Also, just an FYI for the OP.

With nice roads and light traffic the drive from Vail to Denver is probably just under two hours.

Sprinkle some winter weather and ski traffic in and you can likely add an hour to that trip or more. It's literally taken me four and a half hours to get from the tunnel to my house due to traffic and Vail is west of the tunnel.

And, as someone mentioned above, I don't necessarily think there are any "must play" courses in the Denver area.

The mountain courses can be unplayable or even closed in the winter months.

If I had to pick a few courses in the Denver (ish) area then I would suggest Birdsnest, upper or lower Badlands (I prefer lower myself), or maybe Fehringer.

Latest posts