• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Gold line plastic wear.

Spinney105

How long does it take to season/ break in a gold line plastic disc? I have almost all gold line discs. Got them for Christmas. And I love the way they feel.

Depends on how much you play and if you are playing in an area with lots of trees. Should season a little slower than star, but not by a whole lot.

Depends how much you play.GL can last year+ b4 really changing flight drastically with rec use. Playing daily on hard pack courses obviously will speed that process up.

Some molds also beat in different. Some will change flight while others really dont change much at all until very very beat up.

I throw Fuses and my first GL disc is still in rotation. I don't use this mold often (2-3 times per round perhaps). That being said, I haven't noticed a change in flight patterns over the three years it's been in the bag.

How long does it take to season/ break in a gold line plastic disc? I have almost all gold line discs. Got them for Christmas. And I love the way they feel.

I love the feel of GL plastic, even more than Star. I have a couple of Rivers, a Fury, a Flow and a Saint in GL plastic. The Saint is still new.

I've found that GL plastic seasons in a bit more quickly than Star plastic. My River went from stable/nearly-overstable to stable/nearly-understable within a month of everyday play (about 20 rounds of 18 hole play, throwing the River 3-5 times per round). I've played with the Fury for several months now, and it has become a reliably understable/turnover disc. The Flow has NOT seasoned into less overstable like I was hoping it would.

So it depends on use, but in my experience it does season in faster than Star (which can takes months of fairly heavy use to season in). And once it gets to its "sweet spot", it stays there pretty well for a good long time.

Edit to add: I have a Fuzion Renegade, also, which is the same plastic as Gold Line. It's still pretty new, but looks like it is going to season in over about a month. Updates to come...

I love the feel of GL plastic, even more than Star. I have a couple of Rivers, a Fury, a Flow and a Saint in GL plastic. The Saint is still new.

I've found that GL plastic seasons in a bit more quickly than Star plastic. My River went from stable/nearly-overstable to stable/nearly-understable within a month of everyday play (about 20 rounds of 18 hole play, throwing the River 3-5 times per round). I've played with the Fury for several months now, and it has become a reliably understable/turnover disc. The Flow has NOT seasoned into less overstable like I was hoping it would.

So it depends on use, but in my experience it does season in faster than Star (which can takes months of fairly heavy use to season in). And once it gets to its "sweet spot", it stays there pretty well for a good long time.

Edit to add: I have a Fuzion Renegade, also, which is the same plastic as Gold Line. It's still pretty new, but looks like it is going to season in over about a month. Updates to come...

I'd agree with the bolded above.

I regularly throw a GL River that is 2+ years old and it hasn't really changed in the last year and half.

I've got almost all GL/tourney/Fuzion, and after the initial wearing of the flashing which doesn't take long, and doesn't have a huge effect, there hasn't been any change in the discs in about a year and a half. Trees have been hit quite a bit playing in the Charlotte area too.

Like they said it truly depends on the mold. I'm on my third Saint in about 2 years, my Halo took just a month to be too understable and my scythe is still as beefy as ever (though it's the proto). For reference I play 4-5 rounds a week plus warmup on fairly heavily wooded courses.

You will continue to love them in my experience. Very nice fairly durable plastic. Just don't bang them up too much and they will last. As in no dead center into a tree right off the tee pad kind of thing.

I have various Gold Line discs. Most wear pretty quick and then stay the same for a while. However I have a gold line flow that was pretty beefy over stable and took like a year of heavy use and now its crazy understable, which happened all of the sudden. The one that wears really quick is the recycled plastic

Latest posts