• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golfers that don't keep score!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against someone not keeping track of their score in a casual round. 90% of the time I'm tracking mine, but sometimes...

What I hate is the guy that's "not keeping score" that suddenly is keeping score 2/3 of the way through the round, and is magically doing great.

Or when somebody takes two or three mulligans, but at the end of the round will talk smack about beating you by one stroke.:doh:

If I'm sucking out at the beginning of the round, sometimes I'll keep track of the back 9, but I won't pretend the front nine never happened.

Just wanting to get some opinions on the people out there that don't keep score when they play. I know a couple people like this and I just don't get it. They're only argument to me is, "I'm just out there to have fun." Then I say, "how do you track whether or not you're improving?" Who knows? Maybe they don't care. But I compare it to bowling. I think it would be pointless to bowl and not keep score. Just like I think its pointless to play dg and not keep score. Yeah, I'm out there to have fun too, but I wanna know how I shoot. I guess I just don't get it.

I do not keep score about half the time. I keep score enough to know if I am improving, but I do not think I would need to keep score. you can tell by your shots getting more accurate and being able to replicate lines that used to be inconsistent.

many times i just keep score for each hole so i know how i did there but i dont usually keep my entire round score

Sometimes I just like throwing good shots. It's not always about numbers; sometimes it's just fun watching it go, specifically when it does exactly what you want it to. I'll play the par on each hole, but I won't keep track of where I am with respect to the course as a whole.

Don't quite understand all the hate, but OK.

What I hate is the guy that's "not keeping score" that suddenly is keeping score 2/3 of the way through the round, and is magically doing great.

Or when somebody takes two or three mulligans, but at the end of the round will talk smack about beating you by one stroke.:doh:

If I'm sucking out at the beginning of the round, sometimes I'll keep track of the back 9, but I won't pretend the front nine never happened.

1) we are all guilty of at least one of these things on more than one occasion.
2) we have all be "beaten" by someone enacting one of these clauses.
3) suck it up and learn to play confidently. you don't need your score to make you feel okay. I know a local who shot a -18 on our hometown course, he has never come close since.

Just because you get a great score once does not a good golfer make.

I never keep score during casual rounds. It really defeats the purpose of being "casual."

If it is a course I only get a chance to play once in a while I will keep score. For local courses, I generally know how well I perform on each hole, so I just practice the shots. Then it only matters if I am playing league, or a tourney.

I dont ALWAYS keep score (90% of the time I do)
some days i'm just out to see if I can improve my accuracy or distance or just throw a specific hole better than normal but not keeping score at all is just crazy talk man

If you're not keeping score, then you aren't playing golf...you're just throwing discs. I prefer to play golf.

This is how I treat it. If other people don't want to keep score, I am totally cool with that as well, and cool with the idea. To each their own. I don't keep score when I practice. :)

I usually offer to keep score for anybody, anytime, and very few people say no.

I kept score for a very long time but I decided that it was keeping me from running up the shots that I want to be able to pull off, out of fear of having a crappy putt or 2nd look. So I stopped and my game got a little be better as a result. Now I only keep track on courses where I'm aiming for a score related goal or competing with others. That only amounts to about 5% of the time.

If you're not keeping score, then you aren't playing golf...you're just throwing discs. I prefer to play golf.

This is what I was getting at. OP here, and these two sentences summed up how I feel. You see, ALL of these courses that we all play on were designed with one goal in mind. To traverse the course in the lowest amount of throws! You wanna practice hitting lines or work on a new shot? Go hit up a field. You wanna play disc golf? Then go to a course, count your shots and see what your scrore is. THAT IS THE SPORT OF DISC GOLF!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.