• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golfing after it snows

Fntsygamr

Bogey Member
Since I don't get up to the snow very often, well...hardly ever...what advise do you have for me when it comes to playing a course after it snows? I will be in the Tahoe area this weekend playing and it is suppose to have snowed in the next few days prior to me going. Obviously, I will not want to throw a white disc, but what else would you suggest for a first timer in snow?

Bright discs... no white discs... even putters.

Watch your disc until you absolutely can't see it, or you know it stopped. If you can't find it, look for skip marks. Drag your feet when you're looking for discs, you might kick it up.

Hand warmers are helpful. Also an extra towel.

Source: Colorado/Wyoming year around DG'er.

Its worked well for me this winter. haven't lost a disc, no need for countless handwarmers, not wraping my discs with ribbon as if they are presents-- all in all its been a great winter of no DG.

don't drag your feet - you don't always see the entry mark and then you've gone and messed it up for yourself AND for the poor sap that throws into your little dragnet area after you've given up. disturbed snow swallows discs whole and you don't find them. take your time, look close, find the entry mark and you'll be fine. use landmarks, don't take your eyes off the disc, don't throw multiples, haha. you can kick around all you like in a 10 foot circle and never find the disc that landed in the middle of it.

don't walk around, just follow whatever path there is, less likelihood for you to make footprints that screw other people over. when you get to where you think your disc landed, branch off from the path and go directly there.

at least that's how it is here in MN.

of course if there's only been a couple inches of snow then whatever, go nuts, you'll never lose one. but if there's more, just take it easy.

don't drag your feet - you don't always see the entry mark and then you've gone and messed it up for yourself AND for the poor sap that throws into your little dragnet area after you've given up. disturbed snow swallows discs whole and you don't find them. take your time, look close, find the entry mark and you'll be fine. use landmarks, don't take your eyes off the disc, don't throw multiples, haha. you can kick around all you like in a 10 foot circle and never find the disc that landed in the middle of it.

don't walk around, just follow whatever path there is, less likelihood for you to make footprints that screw other people over. when you get to where you think your disc landed, branch off from the path and go directly there.

at least that's how it is here in MN.

of course if there's only been a couple inches of snow then whatever, go nuts, you'll never lose one. but if there's more, just take it easy.

This is pretty much it.

Its worked well for me this winter. haven't lost a disc, no need for countless handwarmers, not wraping my discs with ribbon as if they are presents-- all in all its been a great winter of no DG.

I don't always agree with you, but when I do...

I agree with you.

On that note-- would you say it sounds like Koda has had one of those bitter winters i just decided to avoid this year?!

MmmHmm... Lol @Koda- I feel you man everything you said is true I just chose this year not to deal with any of it. You make it sound like he should be out there tip toe'ing around let alone the damn powder that's going to be a headache enough if its fresh. I've lost so many discs in the snow that I've watched exactly where they went in or even 100' in front of me etc and the clothing gets so damn old.

Disc golf is fun.. but not in the winter' :D

yeah, it's been a rough winter - my first winter of DG. and yeah, i'm definitely bitter. :D

i've got about 10 discs out there, one of which was an approach with a bright pink wizard. i actually prefer the first rounds on top of fresh powder (unwalked on) for the most part since you can see the skip/cut trails easily, whereas if you get a 1" crust on top of softer snow you can skip or dive in and never see the sprayed snow.

right now though i'm not worried about losing anything though, thankfully. since everything started to melt and then froze again, the snow is frozen almost down to the ground; the discs aren't punching through anymore.

Yeah once the snow dragons start to appear thanks to the spring sun it keeps the discs from digging in. I threw SO much in previous winters it didn't even matter i seriously played 3-5 days a week.

After going to California this Xmas and coming home to this ****.. well it really helped make my decision i wasn't going out unless it was a REALLY nice day-- looks like that will be Sunday :D

If the snow's deep, duct tape a few feet of ribbon to the bottom of the disc so you can find them when they get buried. You'd think they'd leave tracks, but you'd be amazed how hard it can be to spot where it went in. Does it affect flight, probably, if your just out there for fun, then you don't want to spend hours searching for discs.

If the snow is going to stay a while or stay cold, don't play off the tee pads. To the side or behind. The traffic packs the snow to ice. Making a job and a half for someone or a longer melt time. Might not be an issue where you are though.

Ribbon duct taped to the bottom center of the flight plate works wonders for locating discs in powder snow... But ribbon can also easily snag in tree limbs, too.

Gaiters to keep snow out of your shoes/boots and crampons for traction can be awful handy, as well as snowshoes, all depending on just how much snow (and the condition of that snow) you're dealing with.

I loved my first winter DG season. I had most every local course to myself for the last 4 months.

Bring gloves - keep your hands warm and dry. take them off to throw

Bring at least 3 or 4 towels, your disc will get wet and/or snowy on every throw (besides draining putts :thmbup:).

Watch for icy areas on and around the teebox.

That't about it, try to keep hands and feet as dry as possible.

The one time it snowed here in Texas and i played out in the slush, it was awful. The snow devoured the discs like nobody's business and finding them was almost impossible, even the brightly colored plastic. Discs constantly got wet, a as soon as you dried it off, your towel froze. Combine all that with sub zero temps and a 10 mph wind, and we figured out real quick our time was better spend inside by the fire with a few beers.

Keep your discs cold and the snow won't stick as much. Throw your discs into the chains.when your done with a hole and this helps knock the snow off.

Most of the main points have been stated. It's been a super rough winter, and I haven't gotten out as much as I've wanted to. I lost 4 discs this winter and have found 3 of them so far.
Glow golf during wintertime is where it's at. Make sure you have bright lights (leds and watch batteries have worked amazing for me) so they can shine through the snow. I've found discs over a foot and a half under snow glowing red.

Latest posts