• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Good all around fairway?

Well, after today's round I've decided on a different plan to pare things down.

What I was carrying for fairway/control shots was the FD and the PD and I also bagged a lone FD3 that I mostly used for utility type shots (rollers, thumbers, etc.)

I've decided that rather than find a tweener type disc between the FD and PD that would replace both of them, I can actually eliminate the PD and use the FD3 in its place as they both have similar flights.

I took two PD's out of my bag and added another FD3 so basically I've eliminated one mold and am carrying one less disc.

Tomorrow I'll play a round or two with the FD and FD3 covering fairway duties and see how it goes.

theres no hope

Haha.. I got given an FD3 400 for Xmas from my buddy... it's not gyro but I've been working it in the bag. Nice plastic, good utility disc even at max weight which I'm not a big fan of. Interesting shape to the top and the front of the disc. Top is a weird forced dome and the lip is blunt but angled. Seems like a real mellow, auto correcting kind of disc. Goes straight well even at low power. Kind of throws like my heavy Relay but more stable LSS.

I think I see the appeal, I doubt if I will bag it because of my bias but I will give it a shot against my Craves and Relays and see.

I think for one mold, Eagle-X in a variety of plastics and weights is the way to go.

Teebirds might be better, but you would need to really beat in a DX to make it actually turn consistently.

Or one of the many, many knockoffs of the above lol.

I cannot believe we are 40+ posts into this and no one has postulated the Leopard in various plastics. I've got a CE Leopard in my home bag and my road bag. The originals have been there since they came out! The two CE spares are pristine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint is mine - I've rediscovered the Valk, and discovered the CD2, which also fit the bill.

I cannot believe we are 40+ posts into this and no one has postulated the Leopard in various plastics. I've got a CE Leopard in my home bag and my road bag. The originals have been there since they came out! The two CE spares are pristine.

I thought somebody said the Leopard 3?

Hm, what's the most OS Leopard in your experience? Barry 2x Champ?

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll interject with my answer that the Drew Gibson Luster Leopard3 and the regular Glow Champ Leo3 are the most OS amongst my Leo3s of every plastic (including Hannah Leatherman swirly Star and Glow Champ). Probably the Gibson Luster Leo3 is the final answer.

Haha.. I got given an FD3 400 for Xmas from my buddy... it's not gyro but I've been working it in the bag. Nice plastic, good utility disc even at max weight which I'm not a big fan of. Interesting shape to the top and the front of the disc. Top is a weird forced dome and the lip is blunt but angled. Seems like a real mellow, auto correcting kind of disc. Goes straight well even at low power. Kind of throws like my heavy Relay but more stable LSS.

I think I see the appeal, I doubt if I will bag it because of my bias but I will give it a shot against my Craves and Relays and see.

I'm guessing you're talking about a Prodigy F3 and not a Discmania FD3.

The FD3 doesn't go straight at low power. It pretty much makes a left turn.

Lat 64 Falchion is another underated stable fairway driver. No better or worse than any other options already given but I do like the opto plastic.

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll interject with my answer that the Drew Gibson Luster Leopard3 and the regular Glow Champ Leo3 are the most OS amongst my Leo3s of every plastic (including Hannah Leatherman swirly Star and Glow Champ). Probably the Gibson Luster Leo3 is the final answer.

What about Leopard Leopards?

The ones with the highest PLH ;)
I have some super beefy Leopards in Champ, Star, and DX. The distance potential of that high PLH DX Leo is absolutely UNREAL.

Because the Leopard is one of Innova's bigger sellers, they make tons of different runs. You just gotta find the run with the highest PLH in the plastic you like.

I don't often buy Leos because I have a near lifetime supply. But in the stash I have, Stars tend to be most OS out of the box for the average disc (50th percentile)... but my freaky-high PLH Champs (95th percentile) are the beefiest of all the Leopards I have.

Hope this helps!

What about Leopard Leopards?

I have an F2 Star Leopard and a DX Leopard, and both are more understable than my Leo3s. I never got into the Leopard, but the Leo3 has come into my 'sweet spot' as I've aged.

So by inference, I'm suggesting the Gibson Luster Leo3 as the relatively overstable mold in the Leo/Leo3 arena.

I have an F2 Star Leopard and a DX Leopard, and both are more understable than my Leo3s. I never got into the Leopard, but the Leo3 has come into my 'sweet spot' as I've aged.

So by inference, I'm suggesting the Gibson Luster Leo3 as the relatively overstable mold in the Leo/Leo3 arena.

Apparently my arm is more amenable to less stable. [emoji106][emoji41] Have always loved me some Leopards, plain and unfiltered and flat and CE, mid 150s. I remember a few very domey Leopards that were called "Pro" in a plastic very much like todays Star, not the CE'ish Pro's of the same time. Those were very stable to overstable. I'm pretty lucky I suppose. I can't throw far enough to lose one. [emoji1787]

Agree on the teebird. Other possibilities would be an Undertaker or a lighter Vulture if you want something closer to a PD's speed.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

So do you think a Vulture is a bit less over stable than a Thunderbird? I may try one...

So do you think a Vulture is a bit less over stable than a Thunderbird? I may try one...
It depends on the plastic and what Thunderbird you're comparing it too. Z and ESP will probably be less stable than a fresh Champ or Star, especially since the new champ ones supposedly are pretty beef. Big Z are the most stable and are probably 1:1 to a fresh Thunderbird. The exception would be the first run Z which had a lot of turn out of the box

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I wish I was pretty good all around the fairway.

I have struggled with this slot but have found the Volt to be extremely versatile and dependable.