• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good all purpose "float" disc?

crazyseany

Par Member
I've found that each course we've played (my 8y/o & me) have a couple of holes by the water...

we end up either fudging the hole bigtime (making our own tee spot) or skipping the hole entirely

what would be a couple beginner friendly discs that "float" that we could purchase? Probably a "mid"? Type disc?
and do they really float well? Lol

thanks,
sean

I have to recommend the hydra. It's a putter, but its the only remotely usable floating disc I've found on the market. The wahoo and dragon are crap imo.

And yes, it really does float.

I use my hydra as well on those shorter holes that have water to clear. Always nice to see a floating disc once you walk up to the hazard.

Some one mention the decent Lightning molds that do float.

I have no idea anything about them but I do know there are a few lightning discs that are decent and they float.

Float Disc

I personally own an Innova Dragon and have witnessed it floating a few times, fortunatley or unfortunatley. I really only use it around water, but when I am around water it comes in very handy.

It is a driver, so as far flexibility it won't perform well as a mid-range or putter. Athough I would call it strictly a driver, I would recommend the dragon to anyone looking for a floating disc.

I hope you guys you have a great time and go ahead and play the water holes!

My dad tossed a 150 R-bro boss, supposed floater that sunk like a rock, today.
The best floater for a kid is the dolphin, however they are very pricey ($30 each)
Hydra is your best bet for Innova, but as Dave pointed out, check out lightning, they make floaters
The Aerobie Arrow is a neat floater for a kid, they may like it's odd shape. The Epic is a floater, but it is not kid friendly.

I have found about a dozen wahoos in the water. 2 of them were actually floating. Problem is it will dive into the water and stick in the mud. Knowing that, I would rather throw a decent disc with good odds of making it around the water than throw a crappy disc that is more likely to land in the water and that might float when it lands in the water. And when it floats, you still might have to go get it anyway if stays in the middle of the lake.

I have only thrown the dragon and wasn't really a fan of it. Felt way too stiff for my liking. Also I think floaters can be more disappointing than regular disc if you are throwing over a large lake. You might still be able to see it, but when it is 70ft off the water all you can do is frown.

I have felt a Hydra in PIAS and it doesn't feel too bad.

Why you want a disc that floats? So you can see it out there out of reach? lol

No but seriously. Golden Retriever does not work well on floating discs.

I carry a Dragon. It works great for very, very, very easy turnover shots. Your 8 YO will be able to throw it all day. It would be a good first distance driver.

As for water shots... if you can easily throw it as far as it is over the water, the water "isn't there". Don't let the obstacles get in the way of your talent. A bad shot is an opportunity for recovery.

The Hydra is a good putter, even if you never get it near the water.

who else finds it strange they named a floating disc Dragon?

Why you want a disc that floats? So you can see it out there out of reach? lol

No but seriously. Golden Retriever does not work well on floating discs.

swim trunks do. I played lakeview with my dad, thrembo and another guy. My dad and I threw all floaters and I ended up playing barefoot for a long time because I was jumping in the water so much.

swim trunks do. I played lakeview with my dad, thrembo and another guy. My dad and I threw all floaters and I ended up playing barefoot for a long time because I was jumping in the water so much.

That could be fun if I actually was willing to get in the water. Seems like all the water hazards around here would make you stink to high heaven.

Best water disc ever made was a Z Buzzz.

Long enough to reach over most water hazards (300') may require layup
Easy to find at most disc golf stores
Same disc every time you buy one and doesn't require two years to beat in
Reliable and easy to throw consistently

I usually keep a newer Z Buzzz in the bag I don't care much about for holes where a disc may not come home safely. This works for me and gives me the confidence to go for it when given the chance.

Latest posts