• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good choice for first overstable driver

rdwyer

Hey all!

Going to be picking up my first overstable driver. I've been using mainly understable discs but as my arm speed/snap is increasing, I'd like to shoot for something a bit more overstable

One of my buddies said a Banshee would be a good place to start. Any thoughts? Thanks! :thmbup:

There are many choices so it would help to know how you throw, how far and the type of discs you are currently throwing.

There are many choices so it would help to know how you throw, how far and the type of discs you are currently throwing.

For sure! I top out around 300-350, and I've mainly been throwing a Avenger SS and a Nuke SS. For mids, just a Buzz!

I would recommend a Firebird. If you find that you're turning it over then there are issues with your form which should be addressed before you move to higher speed discs.

Firebird is a good choice. At your D you might find something like an MVP Shock, CPD or a Predator to give you a bit more D while still fighting headwinds like a champ than the super beefy drivers like a FB, XXX etc. There are a lot of good choices out there. Banshee is a good first OS disc too, slow and controllable.

images

I definitely think a Banshee is a good disc to start with because it won't meathook on you. They go out pretty straight but fade hard. There are some overstable discs that might just immediately meathook on you and you won't be able to get much feedback with them.

If you want a disc that will fade right out of your hand, a Firebird is a great choice. If you want one that will go straight with a hard fade at the end, the Predator is another great option that's still plenty overstable to handle whatever wind you're facing.

There's max weight Champ Tee Bird overstable (i.e. moderately OS) and then there's Predator/Firebird overstable (very OS). While I think they're both solid choices, IMHO they fill two different slots.

I carry a 175 Star Tee Bird as well as a beefy Z Pred as my next step up.
Just to round out my fairway slots, I have a 169 Star Leopard (neutral stability) and a 155 Moonshine Diamond (understable).

Last edited:
Other suggestions might be a Rival, sOLF or qOLF, and a 2013 ace race disc. Ask your friends if they have any of the suggested discs and try before you buy.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Other suggestions might be a Rival, sOLF or qOLF, and a 2013 ace race disc. Ask your friends if they have any of the suggested discs and try before you buy.

I've actually got an ace race coming up in October, so I'll be sure to give that a shot!

If a want a meat hook I'd say go with a Champ Firebird. If you want a disc with some good fade but not super overstable go with a Champ Banshee.

There's max weight Champ Tee Bird overstable (i.e. moderately OS) and then there's Predator/Firebird overstable (very OS). While I think they're both solid choices, IMHO they fill two different slots.

I carry a 175 Star Tee Bird as well as a beefy Z Pred as my next step up.
Just to round out my fairway slots, I have a 169 Star Leopard (neutral stability) and a 155 Moonshine Diamond (understable).

Hit the nail on the head. I have a firebird, new teebird, beat teebird, champ tl, and star tl to cover my fairway driver stabilities. As u play more and develop more arm speed (not that i have a ton) you will notice the differences, even ever so slight, and discover your own preferred differences in range of stabilities.