• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good for Forehand/Sidearm?

GabeEtzel

I have an Innova DX Archangel, and i can throw it sidearm (forehand whatever you want to call it) like you wouldn't believe, it's not worn down, it's practically new. I try throwing my Innova Champion Boss or Champion Beast and it goes roughly 20 feet. Throwing the Discraft Elite Z Flash goes around 10. I can kind of throw my FLX Buzz. Any ideas on discs that i could throw sidearm for those obstacle on the right throws?

I learned how to forehand with a Beast, still my go to disc most of the time.. I agree with basketcase, sh!tcan the boss, I found one on a course, threw it for a month and practiced some dyeing on it, it now sits on a shelf. It might sit on the marketplace soon. I've heard good things about the Monarch, I have a couple of friends that throw them and like them a lot. Depending on your obstacle and how far out it is, and that you can FH a buzzz, go for something a bit more overstable, if you just need a short meathook get a VP, longer you might try a Hornet, both are over stable. It's good you are working on both throws, you can never have too many skills. I play with people that can't throw FH and have to really crank their BH's to make an easy FH shot.

Try a gazelle. They only come in DX plastic (stock), but you can find champion glow gazelles on here and many other sites pretty easily.

I'll start by saying that there's no magic disc that's gonna make you throw 900' or whatever. Having said that, I'll add that doing the hammer pound drills (and not as much as I should, I'll add) combined with playing catch with a SuperHero and learning to feel the weight of the disc shift in my hand with that disc has helped my sidearm more than anything else. It's still not great, but it's way better than it once was. Check out the technique sticky for other useful tips and links.

I have an Innova DX Archangel, and i can throw it sidearm (forehand whatever you want to call it) like you wouldn't believe, it's not worn down, it's practically new. I try throwing my Innova Champion Boss or Champion Beast and it goes roughly 20 feet. Throwing the Discraft Elite Z Flash goes around 10. I can kind of throw my FLX Buzz. Any ideas on discs that i could throw sidearm for those obstacle on the right throws?

I don't know how to respond to this without looking like an ass, but I find this hard to believe... Those are short putts.

I'll start by saying that there's no magic disc that's gonna make you throw 900' or whatever. Having said that, I'll add that doing the hammer pound drills (and not as much as I should, I'll add) combined with playing catch with a SuperHero and learning to feel the weight of the disc shift in my hand with that disc has helped my sidearm more than anything else. It's still not great, but it's way better than it once was. Check out the technique sticky for other useful tips and links.

Pretty much this.

I find that the dx whippet is the most user friendly overstable sidearm disc. Assuming you want the disc to fade hard if thrown flat or s out when thrown for a flex shot, I'd try that disc.

The firebird is a step up in difficulty to use and not as comfortable to grip. I'd say it is the next severely overstable disc to move up to after a few months with the whippet, depending on your hand size and throwing distance. But the whippet is the disc that I find right-handed novices can really take to for throwing that sidearm shot that they need turn or flex right to navigate obstacles and hit flex lines. They do beat in fairly quickly, so you'll want to keep a few fresh ones on hand.