• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Good Recommendations

Philo Brathwaite is the one you, in particular, should watch. Smooth with superb disc angle control.

I don't know if you were able to glean this from the four pages of comments that you've received, but your first main issue is disc nose angle. It relates to your grip, your reach back, and your pull mechanics. Nose angle. That's where you should be focusing.

Minimize your discs and focus on repeatable practice. Also, you won't need anything faster than speed 6 or so for a while. Once you can get a Champ Leopard to turn for a full flight S-curve, you'll be on your way.

I was a long time ultimate player and pretty good, if aged, athlete and I had to face the fact that my well-ingrained Frisbee mechanics were $#!T for disc golf.

Playing multiple sports well is a good thing, as this hones your athletic mind as well as control of your body. Be adaptable, be ready to learn, become a student of your own mechanics. I recommend that you video record a few of your throws and watch the results "stop action" at key points. That'll teach you a lot.

Good luck. Focus.

DAAAANG. Philo is a straight smoooooove operator man! It looks like he's barely trying and yet it goes so far and straight. Maybe not crazy far, but man.... so smooth and nice form. I need to watch a lot of him. Never even heard of him, but he seems to be incredible! Super chill guy as well! I'd love to play some rds with him

And yeah, I'm realizing that the nose angle is where I'm having the most issues for sure. I'm throwing almost everything with a nose up angel and hyzer wrist angle. So of course it's not going to go straight and far :doh: :wall:

And all great tips and ideas to think about and work on! Thanks so much. You guys are so helpful and I appreciate that. One of my life motto's is PAY IT BACK. I always help others just out of the goodness of my heart, because it's the right thing to do, so I appreciate all the help from everyone and yourself.

Philo's Albatross is still my favorite disc golf shot.

I've been reading this thread since it started. My advice is to post up a video of yourself in the techniques section. All the disc recommendations are great, but letting others see your throw will get you started on the right foot.

Good luck...your enthusiasm is contagious!

Philo is one of my favorite players and one that comes to mind for smooth form. Another smooth thrower is Manabu Kajiyama.

Definitely get video of your form; what you think/feel you are doing and what you see on video can be very different.

Also something I recommend always is to work on increasing the distance from which you can consistently get up and down. Start at 100 feet or so, then 150, then 200 (or even smaller gaps.) Eventually you will be getting up and down from the teebox; congrats, you birdied that hole!

Also do field work; there are videos out there (Paul McBeth, Seppo Paju come to mind.) You'll see they work on shots 300 feet and in.

As for discs, the stickied How to Build a Bag post in the discs section of the forum is something to read and revisit multiple times. Personally I would suggest learning to maximize your putter abilities. Find a putter you like for putting and a putter for throwing (these can be the same mold) and get good with them.

Once you have a decent start on a lineup of discs, stick with them. If you find the urge to buy more discs, just get putters (or backups of anything you find to be tried and true.) You can always use them for practice, whether that is putting, field work, or even practice rounds with just putters.

Any thoughts or ideas on those two guys and their technique and how it could help or hurt me trying to learn?

You are starting to go down the Swedish style rabbit hole. It is the smoothest form, but not very often used... I spent months tracking down videos and tutorials when I went down this rabbit hole.

Blake also wrote about this on DGR, but I don't have the link handy.

Dave Feldberg uses a hybrid Swedish/ closed shoulder reach back and has a bunch of good tutorials.

Garret Guthrie has a hybrid Swedish/ bent arm form. Garret has a tutorial as well, not like the dozen or so that Feldberg has done.

Garrets style has a longer kinetic chain and is a little harder to nail, but more power potential from a short run up.

You are starting to go down the Swedish style rabbit hole. It is the smoothest form, but not very often used... I spent months tracking down videos and tutorials when I went down this rabbit hole.

Blake also wrote about this on DGR, but I don't have the link handy.

Dave Feldberg uses a hybrid Swedish/ closed shoulder reach back and has a bunch of good tutorials.

Garret Guthrie has a hybrid Swedish/ bent arm form. Garret has a tutorial as well, not like the dozen or so that Feldberg has done.

Garrets style has a longer kinetic chain and is a little harder to nail, but more power potential from a short run up.

What's the Swedish style rabbit hole? I have no idea what you're talking about, haha? I'm guessing it's a way of throwing??? I'll have to look it all up. But if it's really hard to learn and not much instructional help, I might be tempted to stay away from it, as help will be hard to come by.

I'll look up those few people you mentioned and google Swedish Disc throwing style and see what comes up. Thanks

What's the Swedish style rabbit hole? I have no idea what you're talking about, haha? I'm guessing it's a way of throwing??? I'll have to look it all up. But if it's really hard to learn and not much instructional help, I might be tempted to stay away from it, as help will be hard to come by.

I'll look up those few people you mentioned and google Swedish Disc throwing style and see what comes up. Thanks

Yes, it's a way of throwing. Easy on joints in that it uses leverage instead of brute force to create speed.

Feldberg has lots of tutorials, but his is a hybrid form. Super smooth though and easy to learn.

Garret is a beast, but with your long levers, you should be able to generate plenty of power Feldberg style.

Either way, watch their footwork. Even if you don't use the Swedish style, you can learn tons from Feldburgs footwork...Garret's as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts