• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Google My Maps

Pierparknut

Gold level trusted reviewer
I just discovered this new thing today called Google My Maps. It is on your Google Drive, just hit New, then More, then My Maps. It's really cool if you're making a course map. You can go anywhere on Google Maps and make lines and things on the map. You can even measure distances! Man, I wish I had known about this before. I've spent long hours trying to make course maps using Paint and Google Drawings, when this great tool was right under my nose! Highly recommended to anyone creating or revising a course map.

If your course has elevation you might take a look at Google Earth too. GE has the same basic features as Google Maps but also includes some great elevation tools. Place your mouse over a tee pad and you can see its height above sea level. Do the same at the basket and take the difference between the two for the hole's net elevation change. Or turn on the elevation profile tool to see a graphical cross section of the hole's topography. My favorite is the elevation exaggeration tool which magnifies elevation differences so the topographical features of a property can be highlighted. GE also provides historical aerial images so you could, for example, watch how the trees have grown on your course over the last five years. We made our course maps and tee signs using GE and it works great for that too.

I didn't think about Google Earth! I haven't messed around with it in a while. Can you draw lines and other things on it?

I didn't think about Google Earth! I haven't messed around with it in a while. Can you draw lines and other things on it?

Yep, here's an example with lines used to designate flight paths. The green circles are green locations and text overlays can be easily added. The small squares and circles are tee pad and basket locations. You can also make objects 3D by extruding them upward as you can see in the buildings in the center.

d50389241078a71912d6b6c3b871cb16_zpsmy0bkbkm.jpg

And Google Earth Pro is now free also, which will let you calculate acreage, among other things. Just use code "GEPFREE"