• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GPS apps for iPhone or Android

Jeterdawg

What GPS apps does everyone use that help for navigating to new courses when out of town? I have an iPhone and an Android phone that a friend gave me that I turned off the phone and just use for apps and stuff that I can't use the iPhone for, so I'm open for either.

The Maps app on iPhone is decent for finding things, but definitely not for navigating. Since it uses Google's maps, it's just basic. Google doesn't want to share all the bells and whistles with their competition I suppose! The Maps app on Android is much better since it's more navigating-friendly but still not perfect.

For iPhone, I've heard that MotionX Drive ($3) is pretty good. Others I've read about but get mixed reviews given the wide range of features and price points:
TomTom ($50)
Magellan Roadmate ($50)
Mapquest (free)
CoPilot Live ($5)
MobileNavigator ($50)
Mobile Maps ($30)

I haven't looked into Android yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones, probably matching the ones for iPhone in features and price.

The PDGA iPhone app allows you to find courses within a radius of your current location then will use the Google navigation system to get you there.

Motion X Drive is my favorite. When you get the app you get 30 free voice guidance, but right now they are offering a year of voice for $10 normally $20.

I just use the "Navigate" application that come included with most android devices. It works well.

What could you possibly need that Google Maps (native to Android, and free) doesn't offer?

I went back and tried Google Maps again on Android, and it seems much better than before. I must have updated it along with the OS without knowing.

I guess I was looking to find the best GPS app for both. Android isn't the primary device I use since it's older and I can only use it when I have wifi available. Some apps can cache all the maps for a given route (I don't think Google maps does this).

After using both iPhone and Android, I'm not as big a fan of Android since it's just not as smooth, especially the browser. But it's open-source, so it can run a slew of apps that iPhone can't with or without jailbreaking.

What could you possibly need that Google Maps (native to Android, and free) doesn't offer?

Google Maps on the iPhone does not have live turn-by-turn nor does it have voice guidance. You can navigate a route, but you have to manually scroll through the various waypoints.

I tend to use Motion X on my iPhone. It's feature-rich, as good as my old Garmin, but I'm not overly thrilled with it's navigation; it often suggests the most nonsensical routes.

it often suggests the most nonsensical routes.

Don't they all do that a little bit?!? At least the iPhone Google Maps started showing alternative routes, just like on the Google Maps website. They should all do that - give 3 separate routes unless there's only one blatantly obvious way to go. I always review the route as a gut-check if I can before I take off. I suppose anything is better than having to print out the maps!

For a while I used Trapster to know when there were speed traps, red light cameras, etc., but it was just like Google Maps - no true navigation built-in, plus it wasn't very reliable.

Don't they all do that a little bit?!? At least the iPhone Google Maps started showing alternative routes, just like on the Google Maps website. They should all do that - give 3 separate routes unless there's only one blatantly obvious way to go. I always review the route as a gut-check if I can before I take off. I suppose anything is better than having to print out the maps!

For a while I used Trapster to know when there were speed traps, red light cameras, etc., but it was just like Google Maps - no true navigation built-in, plus it wasn't very reliable.

Alternate routes is one thing; routes that make little sense is another. Motion X once had me exit a freeway and then immediately get back on it -- as in take exit ramp, then take entrance ramp. It also seems to hate the freeways even though I've told it not to avoid them. It might just be my location though. I've heard other people say they have had no problems with it where they are.

One thing with Motion X is to make sure to turn off "reroute to avoid traffic". I have had it try and take me way out of the way to avoid a mile of traffic....turned that function off while in the slow traffic and I was back on track. I tries to do anything to avoid a small amount of traffic.

Latest posts