• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Graffiti at courses

Some get it....some don't

It's good to know that most people get it. It's not about allowing individual expression or getting back to caveman roots, or taking aways one's rights, it's about respect for the course and the hours of hard work that were put into the course. If the course manager or designer doesn't want that, then don't do it, that is a real simple concept. I would gather that a majority of the pro-signers do not put volunteer time in at their local courses. When you actually do, you have more of a feeling of ownership and respect for the place and may look at it a little differently. I guess we just carry on and keep a supply of spray paint and graffiti remover handy. Thanks for the comments all. :D

It's good to know that most people get it. It's not about allowing individual expression or getting back to caveman roots, or taking aways one's rights, it's about respect for the course and the hours of hard work that were put into the course. If the course manager or designer doesn't want that, then don't do it, that is a real simple concept. I would gather that a majority of the pro-signers do not put volunteer time in at their local courses. When you actually do, you have more of a feeling of ownership and respect for the place and may look at it a little differently. I guess we just carry on and keep a supply of spray paint and graffiti remover handy. Thanks for the comments all. :D

public course. PUBLIC. not the designer's. not the volunteer's. everyone's. doesnt seem like the designer or anyone else has any standing to bitch and complain about grafitti. :\

unless youre adam caudle. hes not allowed to sign. :p

I guess...

So thinking along those lines.

Public course= Decisions and budget made by public officials, (not disc golfers or public), therefore, Public officials can cut funding, close course, charge fee to play, ticket for littering and graffiti, patrol with public law enforcement....or really just make any rules they feel necessary that are in the best interest of all people using the facility. (and yes, that is for them to determine)

There is a big misconception as to what a public course is from an organizational standpoint. There is still management and decision making that goes on, the course is not just some willy nilly thing that appeared all of the sudden one day and was offered to the public with no rules or regulations.. yikes Why bite the hand that feeds ya?

Last edited:
Oh, and guess what, the designer, builder, and "volunteer" also happens to be a "Public Official", so I guess I do have a standing to bitch and complain about graffiti. Thanks

"What you cannot enforce, do not command" as one wise man put it. you can bitch and complain all you want. you can set up stings to catch the "vandals." i dont think thats a: a good use of resources and b: going to slow anyone down. :thmbdown:

Hate to break to it some of our more communistic minded here, but in many cases, although the land the baskets sit on may be public, some, if not all of the infrastructure costs of building a course are not funded from the public coffers. In many cases, its the local DG club paying the baskets, so when you deface the baskets, you're only pissing on your own, not sticking it to "the man".

I can assure most anyone here that the people who put forth the effort to get a course built, generally don't want idiots defacing the fruit of their labor, even in nondestructive ways that some Magic Eraser and elbow grease can fix.

I can also assure most people who tag baskets or tee signs, aren't all that detached from the people who will break or steal the same, and are likely responsible for a good degree of the littering.

But I mean hey, who cares, its just "public" property right? I guess the only solution is for people who give a damn to just move to private property and charge admission. And not waste another dollar or man hour on any more public courses, and just let the existing ones rot until there's nothing to aim at but trees.

Yeah, that'll help our sport along won't it? :\

Hate to break to it some of our more communistic minded here, but in many cases, although the land the baskets sit on may be public, some, if not all of the infrastructure costs of building a course are not funded from the public coffers. In many cases, its the local DG club paying the baskets, so when you deface the baskets, you're only pissing on your own, not sticking it to "the man".

I can assure most anyone here that the people who put forth the effort to get a course built, generally don't want idiots defacing the fruit of their labor, even in nondestructive ways that some Magic Eraser and elbow grease can fix.

I can also assure most people who tag baskets or tee signs, aren't all that detached from the people who will break or steal the same, and are likely responsible for a good degree of the littering.

But I mean hey, who cares, its just "public" property right? I guess the only solution is for people who give a damn to just move to private property and charge admission. And not waste another dollar or man hour on any more public courses, and just let the existing ones rot until there's nothing to aim at but trees.

Yeah, that'll help our sport along won't it? :\

save the drama for your mama. :\

i dont see a correlation between people who sign baskets when they get an ace and people who litter and break course equipment. they arent one in the same. courses arent going to rot because people sign baskets. people will sign baskets if thats the culture of the course. course designers and anyone who gets miffed when they see a signed basket or some street art or whatever need to realize that they cant control everything and will probably die early from hypertension if they keep up those levels of analosioty.:\

Graffiti on the course is not part of the game. It is part of the mindset of the individual in certain geographic areas. :wall:

The courses around here are mostly graffiti free. Two teepads out of 7 courses. The tradition of signing a "basket" when you get an ace is foreign to me and kinda a little too self-serving. I've yet to see any graffiti on a course that is "art worthy" with a majority of the graffiti being gang signs and "Joanny Loves Chachi" stuff.

And, thanks to these "vandals" or graffiti "artists" that burnt down a concession stand in a baseball park with a DG course, we now have undercovers in the parks and on the courses.

Graffiti = diarrhea of the hand

I am going to go play Shoaff park. I throw ace runs on holes 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,12,17, and 18. And if I hit any numer of those holes I plan on writing my name on the post.

Its what locals around here do.
Ever heard of the term "Different Strokes for different folks" or "To each his own"

If you truly want to fix this problem then goTEFLON coat everything at your course.
The rain will wash any and all sharpie away.

I am going to go play Shoaff park. I throw ace runs on holes 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,12,17, and 18. And if I hit any numer of those holes I plan on writing my name on the post.

Its what locals around here do.
Ever heard of the term "Different Strokes for different folks" or "To each his own"

If you truly want to fix this problem then goTEFLON coat everything at your course.
The rain will wash any and all sharpie away.

We don't have that problem in the first place. People signing baskets.

If it is what the locals do, then fine do it, conform.

I think the point here, is that signing the baskets for aces, birdies and pars or whatever sends a signal to other players/park goers that it is fine to mark up the baskets as well as anything else which results in more and more tags. That is the association.

NITEGOLFER WUZ HERE

so the association is between people who tag and other people who tag down the road...not between ace-signers and litter/damage-causers.:\

so the association is between people who tag and other people who tag down the road...not between ace-signers and litter/damage-causers.:\

I think that is the association others are alluding to in their posts.

Not saying it happens with everybody, but the seed is there. When someone sees a basket or entire course all marked up then, maybe they think the course looks trashy. So, why should a person throw away an empty can in the trash when the course looks like trash in the first place?

Sure it is a local tradition, but do ALL locals know of the tradition? Is there some elementary school program that burns this local tradition in their brains before they are old enough to strat slinging discs?

There's a reason why, when you go into a "Public" museum owned by the people (state) that you do not find graffiti on the sculptures, paintings and the like. Those objects are there for everyone to enjoy. If you enjoy writing on baskets then do it, but for "Every action there is a reaction."

Not trying to make waves, trying to explain from a different point of view and from an area where we have little to no graffiti problems on the DG courses.

Those objects are there for everyone to enjoy. If you enjoy writing on baskets then do it, but for "Every action there is a reaction."
Are you quoting Newton?
If so, you mean "...there is an equal and opposite reaction"
That would be, if you enjoy writing on baskets, don't do it. They're there for everyone to enjoy. Get your own and deface all you want.

Latest posts