• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon Lawsuit

biscoe

* Ace Member *
McBeth and Cease getting sued by Trevor Toenjes over getting hit by a disc at Throw Down the Mountain. Course closed for the time being.

When I saw Sun King's post this morning, I thought someone must have fallen off a cliff.

Hit by a disc from another fairway?

No clue. Would carry zippo weight under Assumption of Risk doctrine in my state- no idea on Florida.

I have that from an unreliable source....the comments section of Sun King's Facebook post.

Also, that he' s played tournaments on that course before, and that he owns a disc golf store in town.

Obviously, there's a lot I don't know, but my preliminary guess is that he may be on the way to being the most unpopular person in disc golf. Or out of it.

Hope this loser Plaintiff loses his store and his friends quickly. What an a-hole.

Any good articles on both sides of the story or are we still in the "everybody's overreacting to rumors" phase?

Any good articles on both sides of the story or are we still in the "everybody's overreacting to rumors" phase?

I would like to know more myself. I just heard about this yesterday on Iceberg TV.

Regardless, a lawsuit for getting hit by a disc at a disc golf tournament? In the most extreme circumstance, I could see and understand asking for medical bills to be paid. To seek blanket compensation of 50k sounds like greed.

I have that from an unreliable source....the comments section of Sun King's Facebook post.

Also, that he' s played tournaments on that course before, and that he owns a disc golf store in town.

Obviously, there's a lot I don't know, but my preliminary guess is that he may be on the way to being the most unpopular person in disc golf. Or out of it.

He tends to play every division he is eligible for at Throw Down. Also is the owner of OTB discs (people cite big problems with his company as well.). If anyone understood the risk of playing disc golf and being on a disc golf course it was Trevor. He has also likely signed the waiver 20-30 times in his life. This will get dropped as soon as it gets in front of a judge IMO. That said if the course is to reopen and stay open, some actions should be taken for safety (pads and safer walking trails).

He tends to play every division he is eligible for at Throw Down. Also is the owner of OTB discs (people cite big problems with his company as well.). If anyone understood the risk of playing disc golf and being on a disc golf course it was Trevor. He has also likely signed the waiver 20-30 times in his life. This will get dropped as soon as it gets in front of a judge IMO. That said if the course is to reopen and stay open, some actions should be taken for safety (pads and safer walking trails).

Local Route discs maybe? Pretty sure not OTB.

Or at least a sign on #18 to "keep your eyes on the skies" as you walk the fairway. I don't think that's where he was hit, but it is a bit like walking a missile proving ground. Not that I think it should be re-configured, but it is an area for particular diligence.

I hedged my post with the fact that I don't know the whole story. But it'll have to be an excellent one, for me to think that a disc golf familiar with a course, getting hit by a disc from another fairway, hasn't assumed that risk.

Local Route discs maybe? Pretty sure not OTB.

I met Trevor back in 2016 and threw with him a couple times. He does indeed own Local Route. His store has moved locations a couple times since I moved out of the area, but I believe his store is still in the city of Clearwater. He is getting a lot of heat in the Tampa Bay area on social media. There are a lot of people that do not like him. I've heard a lot of bad stories regarding interactions with him to the point where I question his authenticity. I've never had a poor interaction myself.

Last edited:
If you go to the reviews on Google for Local Route where Trevor is the owner, you'll find this gem from none other than DGCR fan favorite Nikko Locastro: (sorry I am unable to post the link or screenshot directly to this antiquated forum)

"I would highly recommend staying away from this store location. The owner of the company Trevor is notorious for ripping people off in the disc golf community. He stole 58,000 worth of discs from Clash Discs and refused to pay his bill for 5,800 products sent to the store location. This business owner and Mason Bailey sold these discs at wholesale and retail and kept the money for theirselves. Local Route also directly ripped me off of a sponsorship deal still owes me over $2,500. Trevor the owner also stole discs from Kastaplast and refused to pay his bill with this company as well for over $30,000. These are known facts not accusations. The owner of this business is truly a thief and I wouldn't support anything he's involved in ever again. The truth needs to be known to the disc golf world. Trevor Toenjes is a thief and a liar, He's currently getting sued by multiple companies right now for stealing products without paying his dept then using that stolen money to reinvest in other products."

I have no first hand knowledge but I've seen a lot of Facebook posts from many different sources and they all seem to have the exact same story:

It's Trevor Toenjes, the owner of Local Route Disc Golf, and he was hit in the lower leg by a throw and is suing for $50,000 in an apparent cash grab.

Additionally, everyone seems to be boycotting/cancelling his disc golf store-- which seems to be valid justice.

I met Trevor back in 2016 and threw with him a couple times. He does indeed own Local Route. His store has moved locations a couple times since I moved out of the area, but I believe his store is still in the city of Clearwater. He is getting a lot of heat in the Tampa Bay area on social media. There are a lot of people that do not like him. I've heard a lot of bad stories regarding interactions with him to the point where I question his authenticity. I've never had a poor interaction myself.

Huh, I met him once too when he was expanding the store. It wasn't busy and he seemed friendly enough. If I remember correctly his store was what came out of the aftermath of Clearwater Disc Golf Store.....collapse. So he had decent inventory for a new'ish store.

But you never can tell about people.

If true, I don't know how that store will stay in business.

Let me get this straight...a guy who has played DG for years, including competently in tournaments, is suing Paul for getting hit by a disc in the leg? This is the same state that lets you shoot someone and get off scot-free?