• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grass height

IcebergSlimD

What do you consider to be acceptable grass height for a fairway? I played a course on Sunday and in some cases the grass was nearly knee high. I could not see my disc until I was literally standing right on top of it! It really makes me appreciate my home course where they cut grass what seems like twice a week.

That is a huge negative for me. I cant stand it and our new course isnt taken care of real yet. I dont know if thats cause it is new or because the city is cutting back. I would think anything taller then the grass in your yard is bad

Anything tall enough that it makes finding a disc hard to find, is too tall. It's as simple as that for me.

Grass can be different...some grasses can be tall yet sparse and finding a disc is easy. On the other hand medium length thick grass can be impossible. The worst is when grass gets long and then lays flat/curls over so that a disc gets tuck underneath and hidden. You can be directly on top of the disc and not even see it at that point.

One important thing is making sure that the fairway is mowed wide enough. I've played courses where the fairway was mowed short, yet it was EXTREMELY narrow, so it didn't matter much because you were going to have to search for that disc anyways.

I think that grass can be a great challenge to the course. There should at the very least be a walking path and fairway/putting area that is cut to no more than 4" in height. But outside of that, I think that high grass can make for a really annoying obstacle. For example, on Falling Creek Park in Bedford, VA, hole 3 is 525' in the short (550' in the long). About 340-350' out there is grass that is rarely cut. There is a 15' wide part of the grass right where your roller would go if you throw it correctly (either a long low roller or a sky roller). It's a pretty cool design, forcing you to hit the gap if you're going to roll it. There are also other parts of the course that have high grass off the sides of the fairway. It adds a good obstacle. It's not too bad of punishment, but it's just enough. It's sort of like the fringe on the green or the light rough along the fairway in ball golf. I like it.

I guess it is relevant whenever the grass is high enough that you can't see where you are stepping.
I am not a fan of stepping on snakes, especially when they are poisonous!

I guess it is relevant whenever the grass is high enough that you can't see where you are stepping.
I am not a fan of stepping on snakes, especially when they are poisonous!

AMEN

I love tall grass. Thumbers stick right where they landed.

I dont care as long as it doesnt get as long as the OP said. If it is that long in parts, I dont care but I have seen a hole before, where it wasnt just grass, but weeds and everything else, a foot high. You could see the cement tee and the basket and if you threw anywhere but an ace, you would be looking for your disc so that is the only time I didnt play a hole.

Hind site, I should have atleast trotted through there to see if someone might have thrown some plastic for me to find.

Ellison park is a great example of that...sometimes it's freaking perfect. Others it's so long that on a couple holes you're searching like CRAZY for half of your discs.

Then when they DO mow it the grass left behind is so long it's even worse!

Then it blows away and gets carried off by birds and then they keep it mowed for a while and it's great!

(the tees are still the worst in the sport)

\/\/

Count me in the-shorter-the-better camp. I like to roll too but my main reason is wasting time trying to find your disc even when you saw right where it went in. I'd much rather fish it out of a large thornless bush than hunting under tall grass (being red-green color blind doesn't help).

I like the short stuff but a fairway should at least be cut out to penalize bad throws, and to aid nice tosses

Thats what trees are for! long grass doesnt punish your score or require a tougher shot to recover as in ball golf....it just makes it hard to find your disc and ruins your day...

I prefer fresh cut grass. Rollers and skips baby.

I would have to agree, grass in the fairway should be short enough that a drive or fairway shot can get at least a small skip.

Staying in the fairways should mean you're safe: discs should be easy to find and you can see if you are stepping on anything. If you can't do those, then it's too long.