• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greensboro NC to Asheville NC to Johnson City TN

hoppedup

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My brief thoughts on the seven new courses I played in the last few days.

Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park - Hickory NC: Wow. This was a great disc golf course. Lots of shot variety. Big ups and downs. Lots of roll away potential at most baskets. Mostly wooded with a few open holes. The finishing hole is a valley shot over a lot of kudzu. I parked it and made a rare birdie. Only hiccup was the navigation from 3 to 4 was not marked and even with a map, it took a while to get our bearings.

Creek Wise Park - Marion NC: This one needs some work but it seems to be a work in progress. The first seven holes are in the open and the navigation is a little wonky but we worked it out. 5-7 are in an area that has been cut down recently and there are lots of small stumps. 8-18 are in the woods and was the best part of the course. Pretty tight in general, but there are often multiple paths to the basket. Natural tee pads are logs laid down on three sides. This will never be a destination course, but it is not far off the highway and is worth it if you are passing through.

Black Mountain DGC - Black Mountain NC: This one was not far off the highway and is good enough for one play if you are passing through. The front nine provides a little variety and a few trees, with water in play on a few holes. The back nine, reached by walking under I-40, is 9 baskets in a field. There is water in play on 10 and enough elevation to keep it somewhat interesting, though.

Sandhill DGC - Asheville NC: This is probably the only WNPA (Would Not Play Again) from this trip. The first three holes are in the open and over and around the road and a sports field. 4,5,6 were pretty decent holes. Then you go into the woods. Which is usually what I like. Somehow this design manages to make most of these holes uphill shots. An errant shot on 9 could end up in the road. Walking from the basket on 13, we could see the tee pad for 14 at the bottom of the hill and moved on to 15. The shot over the road on 15 was made, even by my noodle arm, but still could be problematic if you have a bad release. Hole 17 was a surprise. It was a steep downhill shot, but sadly not long enough to throw a bomb. The natural tee pads did not bother me, but I did not care for the layout at all.

Richmond Hill - Asheville NC: Wow and double wow. This is my kind of course. Mostly wooded with fair fairways. Downhill bombs, limited long uphills, valley shots. Lefts, rights, down the middle. We saw more people here on a Friday morning than all the other courses we played combined. Easily navigated even with minimal signage. This is a must stop when in Asheville.

Kiwanis DGC - Jonesborough TN: I enjoyed this one. 3-7 were just throwing back and forth across a field, but there is some elevation and rock formations to keep it slightly interesting. I was able to flick a distance driver on 7 and make par. Another rarity on a 450'+ hole. Most holes are 200' and under so beginners will enjoy this course. Advanced players will most likely be bored. This course plays like three different courses. 16-18 are a bit separated from the other holes and have different feel from the wooded 1-2,9-15 and the wide open 3-8. Not a destination course, but worthwhile if you're in the area and ticking off courses.

Highland Hills - N. Wilkesboro NC: Possibly more strenuous than Glenn C. Hilton and Richmond Hill, this course has some serious elevation changes. We played a mix of red, white and blue tees. The reds were often really short. Water is in play on many holes. Uphill, downhill, valley shots. It's all here. Mostly wooded with open holes on 15-17. We had a little confusion after #13. There is a goat path through the weeds to the left of the basket that leads to 14. I lost two discs to some pretty dense rough on tee shots on #17. We only had time for one course on the way home and chose this one because it was less likely to be crowded with the other recent additions to the Wilkesboro DG scene.

I am sorry to say you missed the best course in East TN- Harmon Hills

My friend owns a music venue in JC. I make it up there about twice a year for shows. Harmon Hills is on the hit list for the next trip. This time the course in Jonesborough (short, on the way) worked better with our itinerary.

Glenn C, Richmond Hill and Highland Hills are also some of my favorites whenever in N.C. I also loved Rolling Pines for the next time you are in the Wilkesboro area. Rolling Pines is also just minutes from Highland Hills. Now that is a one two punch.

Latest posts