• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greenville for work August 18th

MNThrower

Birdie Member
I will be in Greenville the week of August 18th. Not sure how much time I'll have for disc golf but I can likely get out that first night for a quick round otherwise that Wednesday night more than likely.

Timmons Park looked like the closest one to the Embassay Suites I'll be staying at. Anyone around that week that wouldn't mind throwing with me or grabbing a beer maybe? I guess I have some other questions about the area as well so anyone around that part of town shoot me a PM!

Thanks guys!

If you do facebook, the upstate club would be your widest audience. Timmons has been temporarily closed due to the amount of rain last week. A couple bridges were washed out. Century Park would be the next course choice, imo.

I just looked at the facebook feed. Looks like timmons will be closed for 1-2 months. The collapsed bridges caused the course to be closed. FWIW You can play the course without using the bridges.

I guess not in this part of the forum. I think TLion and Voice of Reason are in the area, or at least have been.

I'm an hour-and-a-half away, but will say that Timmons Park is a very fun, short course. It's well up on my list of favorite places to play. (One navigation tip, unless it has changed, is finding hole 12. #13 tee is very close to the #11 basket, so it's easy to miss it. You cross the road to play 12, then back across to play 13).

The other tip, if no Greenvilleans speak up here, is that the local disc golf club is called the Upstate Disc Golf Club. You can check out their website, or their Facebook group page.

EDIT - typing too slow....or if I'd just waited 10 minutes for jdawgl to post, I could have saved myself the trouble of the entire post.

You can still get to Timmons pretty easily if the park is closed. There is a cul-de-sac that has lots of parking with a path around the abandoned neighborhood pool directly to hole 5's teepad - take Lullwater to the end and a left on Primrose, go around the pool to the left.
If you have more time, the new-ish park in Central has some fun and challenging holes but is a 30-40 minute drive, plus takes significantly longer to play.

I'm over in Clemson, about an hour's drive away, but it sounds like you won't have time to get out that far; Greenville has been absolutely flooded with rain this summer, so it doesn't surprise me that Timmons is closed, although it is a good course. I like both of the nine-holers, but if you really want to work on your short game but also have some tough drives, Holmes Park would be your best bet. Another great course is VanDuMar Park in Boiling Springs, but that's also decently far from Greenville. Definitely spend a night downtown though, it's a pretty vibrant place.

If you can make it out to Clemson PM me; classes start the 20th so I have no idea what I'll be doing this weekend and early week though.

Also, as TheOtherBill said, Central is 30-40 minutes from Greenville (it's right by Clemson) and is pretty challenging; I'm not that good yet so I find the pro tees to be especially challenging, I haven't played the Am tees yet though.

Last edited:
I played Timmons, Va Du Mar, and Grand Central in the area last year and had a blast at all three. It's too bad Timmons is temporarily closed. For being short, it was a ton of fun.

For being a short course extremely close to the center of the city, Timmons is as good as you'll find. Unfortunately, we had a nice flood last week (2-3" in an hour) that washed out the bridges on the course. The entire park was closed for a couple of days due to dangerous conditions from weakened trees, but those got taken care of. The park is reopened, but the city has declared the course to be closed. The club has had to move our weekly doubles up to a 9-hole course a couple of miles up the road, and we'll have to do something with our match-play monthly tournament next weekend. The Parks and Rec department has clearly indicated that the course is closed, so I won't be playing out there until it's officially reopened.

If you only have time for a quick round after working hours, Century Park in Greer is only about 15 minutes away from your hotel (plus rush-hour traffic). It's a solid course, but it'd definitely be behind Central, Shoally/Va-Du-Mar, and Easley (all might be prohibitively far away or long for your purposes).

The Greer club hosts Monday night doubles at Century.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/336357176483361/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UpstateDiscGolfClub/

What other questions do you have about the area?

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone else knew where he was talking about. My company has sites in 2 different towns called Greenville, and neither of them is in SC :|

sadly after some Flooding last weekend Timmons is closed for the moment.. bridges are damaged etc. .. looks like it wont be open for at least a month or so .. sorry buddy :( .. Va Du Mar in Boiling Springs isnt far away from timmons and is an amazing course though

[edit] looks like jdawg has already posted about this [edit]

Doubles @ Century is a lot of fun. I do miss the upstate sometimes...

Va-Du-Mar is worth the trip from what I remember. I don't know how much the course has changed though.

about Timmons, I thought there were only like two bridges in that course. and the crick they were crossing isn't anything substantial. wtf?

about Timmons, I thought there were only like two bridges in that course. and the crick they were crossing isn't anything substantial. wtf?

Mondays at Century is tons of fun-- average 17 players.

You are correct-- only three bridges that cross a very small creek. The rainstorm last week was a freak event. The storm system hovered over greenville for hours-- nearby cities barely saw any rainfall. There were numerous reports of rain creating sinkholes. I-85 near Pelham exit was closed. I was traveling back home from Charlotte during the storm and was able to do 35mph max because of the risk of hydroplaning on the interstate near Greenville.

Last edited:
Yeah, my aunt still lives there and said the authorities were calling and leaving messages on people's phones to stay put either at homes or businesses because the roads were absolutely flooded; that's the second time this summer Greenville has been dumped on this summer too; one of my friends there put a picture up of some Honda or Chrysler sedan on Laurens Rd with water up to nearly the lugnuts on the wheels. Than there's Clemson; we've had maybe one significant rain event that did flood some of the lower buildings on campus, especially by the construction, but other than that it's been pretty dry the whole summer except for the occasional shower/cloudburst.

If you have a car go to Va-Du-Mar or the course in Easley. They are both pretty varied and fun. Century is decent, but more of a 'short' course.

Oh yeah I forgot about Easley. That is a fun one as well. Be careful with the swamp on the back nine.

Latest posts