• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greeting from South Texas

C_Dub

Bogey Member
Hey there everybody!

Great forum you all have going here. I participate in a couple of forums on other topics, and I know a well-run forum with positive participants when I see it. There is a wealth of information here.

I played disc golf for the first time back in the late 80s at YMCA camp in Southern California back when it was hitting a certain tree with a legit Frisbee, and didn't experience the real thing until a few years ago. I enjoyed it, but given my work schedule I wasn't able to give it any attention. That situation has changed and a week ago I was at a friend's birthday BBQ and everybody there plays regularly. I found this out while playing "Polish Horseshoes", which if you haven't played, involves knocking a bottle off of a PVC pipe with a Frisbee.

At any rate, one of the cats at this party invited me out to play the next day, and I played. I suck bigtime, but I guess that is expected since I really had zero idea what I was doing, how the discs work, etc. Had a great time though.

I spent a grip of time doing research, watching videos, and ended up buying a few discs that seem to be more suitable for a 40 year old beginner who is just learning basic throwing technique. Needless to say, Youtube has a lot of information to go through, some of which is rather helpful for a noob such as myself.

In an effort to make my rounds less painful (e.g. digging through the thorns for discs that have skewed out in the middle of nowhere, I have spent around 2 hours a day all week working on my forehand, backhand, and putt throws. I have a local course that is difficult as far as thickets and high grass goes, but well traveled and maintained by the golfers. It's a great place to learn and I have met many other disc golfers, almost all of whom are WAY better than I am at this point, but then again, I have been playing for a week.

I am looking forward to gaining more confidence and playing more courses. The course I play here in Ingleside has a constant 15-20 mph wind that I am trying to get control in, but which I am sure will make me a better player in the long run.

Thanks in advance for the advice I am sure to receive here! Have a great weekend.

©

Welcome to the site! I know definitely know the TX winds you are experiencing out on the course. They sure make disc golf much more....interesting! What discs did you end up buying yourself?

Welcome to the site! I know definitely know the TX winds you are experiencing out on the course. They sure make disc golf much more....interesting! What discs did you end up buying yourself?

Thanks!

Well several of the videos I watched suggested getting decent with midranges and putters first before going to a driver of any sort. I got a Discraft Buzz and an Innova Shark for mids and a couple o Aviars for putting. Later this week I ordered a Teebird, a Valkyrie, and a Leopard. I am still focusing on the mids and the putters, but as I am learning some forehand and overhand throws, the drivers tend to cut through the air better.

I played a round today and did remarkably better than I did even yesterday. Got my first birdie and hit around a 120' putt for par with a forehand. It was beautiful, and even more satisfying because because I was behind a bunch of trees and in some really deep brush.

Of course, I also shanked a bunch of drives as well, but overall, I am seeing improvement.