• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Griffin Park - Norman, OK

Sports_Fan_Stan

Bogey Member
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1329

As many Okie's know, the DGC at Griffin Park has undergone a bunch of change over the past 2-3 years. For those that don't; the city has put in a lake, plans to upgrade the dog park, and intends to extend their tree farm. The disc golf course has been revised many times in order to make room for all the work and changes. So, I wanted to start a thread here to keep everyone updated on the current course layout. Also, as I learn of new plans I can share them with everyone.

Naturally, the "course map" has become out of date. Many of the holes depicted are still the same but the numbers change and many improvements are still planned. Thus, here is a description of the deviations from the course map:

1. The first is back to where it has been in the past (as depicted on course map), the basket is a little closer but down the hillside a bit... Also, the am tee is not currently marked...
  2. Now the pro tee is in the SE corner of the fenced area... The basket is ~660-feet to the NNW in a new position
  3. The grass tee is on the hillside shooting to the old #2 basket (note that this target will probably move to a more difficult location)
  4. Unchanged, but marked as #3 on course map
  5. Unchanged, but marked as #4 on course map
  6. Unchanged, but marked as #5 on course map... However, the tree branch that hangs in front of the tee box is in bad shape and will not last much longer...
  7. Unchanged, but marked as #6 on course map
  8. Unchanged, but marked as #7 on course map
  9. Unchanged, but marked as #8 on course map
  10. Unchanged, but marked as #9 on course map
  11. Unchanged, but marked as #10 on course map
  12. Unchanged, but marked as #11 on course map
  13. Unchanged, but marked as #12 on course map
  14. Unchanged, but marked as #13 on course map
  15. Still the same as old #14 except that a much longer pro-tee is marked with blue flags near the walkway
  16. Unchanged, but marked as #15 on course map
  17. The old #16 tee box is still used, but the basket is ~500-feet to the SSE along the creek South of the new dirt mountain... BTW: The creek is the new OB boundary...
  18. The (dirt) tee is marked on the top of the new dirt mountain... The line goes over the spillway for the new lake with the basket to the South of the dam... The new lake is very much in play behind the target!!!

Again, I am not in-the-loop on all the plans. However, I have become active in the Sooner Disc Golf club and will be learning more as I help out. I'll keep everyone updated.

Finally, this year's Norman Pro/Am will be played at Lions and Griffin.

I spoke with Dig last night to figure out what I needed to bring for the workday on Saturday. Apparently, I need to bring my chain saw and help remove that tree branch in front of #6's tee. I was surprised at the priority. Apparently, he has gotten a bunch of feedback about that tree branch...

So, it looks like ya better get out there and play Griffin b4 Saturday if you are nostalgic about that tee shot on "old #5..."

Also: If you are wanting to play in the 2nd Annual TFC tourny at Mitch Park in Edmond, you probably better show up at Dolese's mini tonight and register w/ Joe Rotan. There are about a dozen spots left and they might be gone by midnight...

Just wanted to pass on a few pieces of news from Griffin Park:

1) The course is in great shape after all the work for the Norman Pro/Am... Someone measured the new distances and signs were posted during the tourny. I will figure out what all these new measurements are and update this website.

2) Forms have been built for new concrete tee boxes on (new) #2 and #3. It should only be a matter of time until these new tee boxes are finished.

3) In my list of changes above, I forgot to mention: The #8 (old #7) basket is 30-40 feet longer than had been in previous years. It was placed in the new location after the city replaced the stolen basket last Fall...

4) Coda Hatfield shot a 46 (unofficially rated 1070) on the new Griffin layout... Impressive!!!

Last edited:
A couple of updates on Griffin:

1) Several concrete tees have been installed

2) Several shorter tees have been implemented and they are locally called "the red course." However, it is certainly much more difficult than the PDGA expects for the color "red."

3) The city engineer ruled the #18 had to move away from the dam. So, the tee box will continue to be on top of the new hill but the basket will be to the North about 500ft near the tree-line and tree farm...

Have added a new course map showing Griffin after all of the changes. I would imagine that more changes are to be expected into the future. However, I will just upload new course maps to keep everyone informed (and let this thread go away).

BTW: Rumor has it that the city is interested in installing concrete tees for the "red course."