• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Mini

I don't think I have room to complain about prices, considering I own four of their bags. (even if I only paid full price for one)

You can buy the new rustolem never wet for patio furniture for $12 :D

I think its what I am going to try on my bags, shoes etc for next season. Its not aerosol but just a pump spray which is said to not discolor fabrics and really rainflys are annoying to deal with anyway!

It was a little expensive, but I felt it would be worth it and I really wanted it. I absolutely love it.

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_214647.jpg
    IMG_20141109_214647.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 86
You can buy the new rustolem never wet for patio furniture for $12 :D

I think its what I am going to try on my bags, shoes etc for next season. Its not aerosol but just a pump spray which is said to not discolor fabrics and really rainflys are annoying to deal with anyway!

for reference the rainfly/backpack rain covers for most major camping backpacks run in the $30-$50 range. http://www.rei.com/search?query=backpack+covers

I complained a ton beforehand about the price of the grip mini and its rainfly, but have ordered a [rainfly] because its a great thing to have. Also I like to complain about prices for stuff in general.. hell I complained about the $9 increase in price or the $30 Magellan bag (which I also own).

^ I shop REI allot, today infact. But I think your message is lost if you're comparing pricing guidelines with REI... #justsayin

^ I shop REI allot, today infact. But I think your message is lost if you're comparing pricing guidelines with REI... #justsayin

I was just clarifying that the rainfly at $30 falls in line with pricing of normal camping backpack rain covers (which range $30-$50) at places like REI.

I complained that the grip mini one was expensive, but in the context of other camping backpacks rain covers purchased separately its not.

I just like to complain about pricing even after the fact. :p

I was just clarifying that the rainfly at $30 falls in line with pricing of normal camping backpack rain covers (which range $30-$50) at places like REI.

I complained that the grip mini one was expensive, but in the context of other camping backpacks rain covers purchased separately its not.

I just like to complain about pricing even after the fact. :p

No, I agree. I DONT feel that a thin rain fly should cost $30 nor should a rain jacket from REI cost $300 but they do... And, I'll probably succumb to both. At least REI will cut me a dividends check at the end of the year! Where you at Grip, huh?

(However, I do believe in paying for quality, so there ya have it)

No, I agree. I DONT feel that a thin rain fly should cost $30 nor should a rain jacket from REI cost $300 but they do... And, I'll probably succumb to both. At least REI will cut me a dividends check at the end of the year! Where you at Grip, huh?

(However, I do believe in paying for quality, so there ya have it)

^lol we're agree-arguing! hopefully my rainfly comes in before Friday (its supposed to rain/snow).

Played a round this morning in the fresh snow with the A14. The rain fly is very effective compared to the A or L series. It is easier to get discs in and out while keeping everything dry.
20141110_131123_zpsbe16cc68.jpg

I realize most of this has been covered, but this is a long thread so its worth repeating.

I just got mine this weekend and put 4 rounds on it. From someone who has been using the old school bag and quad straps for the last 8 years this bag was a DREAM. For one, I didn't realize just how many unnecessary discs I was carrying, and how much extra weight that was, until I had to slim the lineup down. I went from carrying 22 to throwing all over town with 14 and never missed a disc. My back hasn't felt this good after a long weekend of golf since I was still a teenager. I knew I was going to be surprised when I started using a backpack, but I didn't realize just what I had been missing out on.

I had plenty of room to spare with the following lineup
3 putters up top (1 judge, 1 KCP avair, 1 DX aviar)
3 mids (Roc3, KCP flat top, KCP 12x)
2 fairways (do it all teebird, firebird)
1 tweener driver (thunderbird)
4 big drivers (3x destroyers, 1 Xcal)
1 utility disc (monster)

That's 14 total. There is more room in this bag, I just didn't have any more discs I needed to carry right now. I'd like to add 1 more putter and 2 more drivers and I'm pretty confidant the bag will cooperate. As has been said repeatedly in this thread the putter pocket is huge when the drawstring is all the way down. I fit 3 putters in there easily with room to spare. I doubt you could do a 4th putter, but a driver fits great in there. I think that'd be a cool spot for your utility OS disc.

Storage is minimal, duh. I like the design of the side pockets a lot, I found them quite useful. my Saturday morning round was chilly so I was wearing a sweatshirt. When I needed to ditch it I used the stool/umbrella holding straps to strap it on and that worked great. I didn't think it looked goofy at all. I used 2 Camelbak Eddy bottles (750 ml) which are a perfect fit for the bottle holders. That was a good amount of water for 18, but I drank it all. I'd like to find a higher capacity bottle that fits well, so something that is the same diameter of the Eddy but taller. Open to suggestions here.

The bag sits up perfectly. It sits up so well that I started slinging it around intentionally just to see what it took to tip it over. It takes a LOT to tip it over, and nothing ever spilled out (even keys/wallet cigs ect in the valuables pocket) with all the zippers open and non of the compartments at full capacity.

I'm in love with this bag. Its awesome.

My only, extremely minor gripe, it the lack of pencil holders. I looked everywhere, and unless I'm an idiot (certainly possible) there are none. No big deal, I just switched from my small PDGA pencils to a full sized mechanical pencil and a double ended sharpie and hooked them into the open side pockets, where they fit perfectly. No prob, I was just irritated about it when I was loading the bag up for the first time.

I don't have the rain fly yet. I'm going back and forth on if I should get it or not. On the one hand my old bag got dumped on all the time without a rainfly and it still held up for 8 years. On the other hand the colors are really pretty and I'd hate to trash such nice investment because I was too cheap to pony up.

It was a great day to to work in the new bag.

Attachments

• disc golf pic.jpg
    disc golf pic.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 71
It was a great day to to work in the new bag.

Great review. I'm gonna get one soon too and am pretty excited. I think I'll keep my ranger bag, for the large storage compartment on top (it's awesome)

I don't like that pic a couple up of that Gatorade bottle upside down because it doesn't fit, but oh well... Still makes me sad. :doh:

Everything else points to this bags gonna be the t!ts!

I don't like that pic a couple up of that Gatorade bottle upside down because it doesn't fit, but oh well... Still makes me sad. :doh:
I bought a Gatorade bottle Saturday that fit perfectly in the holder, but it definitely wasn't the standard 24 oz like in that picture. I'm pretty sure it was the 20oz. I meant to save for reference but forgot to. I know some guys are planning on stretching their holders out to accommodate bigger bottles, but I feel like in the long run that is a horrible idea. I'll stick to appropriate diameter bottles.

My only, extremely minor gripe, it the lack of pencil holders. I looked everywhere, and unless I'm an idiot (certainly possible) there are none.

Hopefully this picture is some help, this is where I put pencils/pens/markers. (there are pockets on the outside of the drink holders on both sides) I hope that helps.

20141110_181713_zpstw6uejdy.jpg

Last edited:
^ Ha! Bender beat me to it.

That purple looks sweet by the way Pbmercil

Here's my initial thoughts:

I wanted firstly to confirm that you can easily fit the 1 liter Camelback chute bottles. Its actually perfectly snug (the one liter camelback) where they easily slip in, but are snug and won't come out even if the bag is upside down. So come summertime you can load this bag up with 2 liters of hydration.

So the option is to just have a 1liter camelback chute bottle ready and maybe transfer your gatorade to the camelback before you start the round (better yet just buy gatorade powder and save money).

I also can confirm you can fit three putters easily inside the putter quiver.

The only place you can possibly store a light sweater/thin jacket is in the putter quiver pocket. For me I could easily sacrifice three discs in the quiver to get that compact down sweater or vest in there. I tested my nano puff patagonia hooded jacket and it easily fit, also my down sweater vest too.

15575583977_060bb10f1b_c.jpg

in the quiver: two novas and one KC Pro Aviar

14 discs in the main compartment is doable but snug:

15575583487_c6afa94efe_c.jpg

- Aviar P&A
- Comet
- Champ Roc3
- McPro Roc3
- Gator
- Echo Star Teebird
- G-Star Teebird
- Brinster Bird
- Firechicken
- C-PD
- C-PD
- Starlite Wraith
- Echostar Wraith
- Champ Tern

So is possible to cram 17 discs as max capacity. You also have the option to move your most used mid into the quiver with your upshot putter and putting putter to have instant access to those frequently used discs.

Also scaled weight of an empty Grip C14 was 2 lbs 15.3 oz... so just under 3 lbs.

15762588682_b14406da58_c.jpg

Latest posts