• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Question - Index Finger Blister

Jpuder

Hey Guys,

In the past few months I've decided to take my DGing seriously and I watched a boat-load of youtube videos and read a bunch of articles to help improve my RHBH throw. I've come across conflicting advice with regards to grip either saying "grip it as hard as you can" or "It should be loose and comfortable". I've changed my grip to the power grip because there seemed to be somewhat of a consensus as to this being the best grip for maximum distance (previously I had a control grip that I learned from years of throwing a frisbee). However, since I started using this grip I've developed a nasty blister just above my top knuckle on my index finger. It doesn't bother me terribly, but I'm wondering if this rubbing against my index finger is messing up the spin of the disc. I can definitely feel it catch each time I let it go on a long drive.

Am I gripping too hard? Not hard enough? or Is it the fact I have freakishly small hands for someone who is 5'11?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Welcome to the sport and this site.

First of all for now try to avoid discs with beads=Roc etc. that have the band under the disc and if your discs have molding imperfections called flash underneath sand it away. I think you heard two pieces of correct advice just not when to use a loose grip and when to grip hard as hell. For most of the throw the grip should be loose so that your arm muscles won't tighten up and slow down the throw. After the elbow starts to unbend you should send the command to tighten up the grip from the brain because it takes a while for the message to arrive in the fingers and the arm has moved a lot closer to the rip point. Just when to send the command depends on how quickly the nervous system works. The grip should be hard pinching the index finger and thumb together so you have the disc in the proper place since your blister is where the lowest part of the disc should be. You should also squeeze the rim (vertical part) of the disc with the index finger against the base of the finger in the palm. Having a loose grip means the disc won't pop the fingers straight but unbends them more slowly and scrapes along the index finger creating additional friction against the skin on the index finger. So i would squeeze and pinch harder when the wrist is unbending. Using thinner discs may help too considering you have small hands and orienting the fingers differently may help too.

Thanks for the welcome and advice!

I was out on the course today and worked on squeezing the rim at the hit point and I didn't feel my finger rubbing nearly as much. I will also have to look into thinner discs. Are there any drivers that come to mind that have the thin rim or is it just go to the store and try them on for size?

I have a lot to work on still with my backhand. I have video that I will post in a few days for more advice.

Thanks again!

The wider the wing and the sharper the bottom of the disc is the harder it will rub the skin. Discraft Flick is overstable at 400' calm conditions but flips in headwinds and is the flattest driver i can think of. Unfortuntaely the bottom is quite sharp almost as bad as the worst offender i've met the very overstable Gateway Spirit that is thin also. Thin wings can help with ease of gripping and releasing cleanly even when the disc is not the flattest possible so Leopard (XL but not in FLX plastic that is overstable is the Discraft equivalent), Cheetah, Gazelle, Valkyrie but not in Star (domey compared to other plastics and DX breaks in with one throw to flippy) are some examples of thinner discs and some of them are not that thick in any direction and have different stabilities and speeds.

Thumb position and thumb down pressure matters too. The weaker the thumb push down and the closer to the outer edge of the disc the thumb lies the easier and earlier it is for the disc to slip out. It is ok to move the thumb closer toward the center of the disc than the rim to flight plate connection. As long as the arm does not get stiff and slow down the arm swing.

Jutty121 said:
Hey Guys,

In the past few months I've decided to take my DGing seriously and I watched a boat-load of youtube videos and read a bunch of articles to help improve my RHBH throw. I've come across conflicting advice with regards to grip either saying "grip it as hard as you can" or "It should be loose and comfortable". I've changed my grip to the power grip because there seemed to be somewhat of a consensus as to this being the best grip for maximum distance (previously I had a control grip that I learned from years of throwing a frisbee). However, since I started using this grip I've developed a nasty blister just above my top knuckle on my index finger. It doesn't bother me terribly, but I'm wondering if this rubbing against my index finger is messing up the spin of the disc. I can definitely feel it catch each time I let it go on a long drive.

Am I gripping too hard? Not hard enough? or Is it the fact I have freakishly small hands for someone who is 5'11?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

I recall when I started I developed blisters on several fingers and taped them all. I looked like the loser of a 5 finger fillet tournament.

Grips are unique to each player and you need to figure out what works for you. I tend to view things in simpler terms than JR and try never to argue with him as I only understand some small part of what he writes anyway. Never argue with anyone smarter than you are.

In my mind you grip hard when you throw hard and grip soft when you throw soft and for medium throws, well, you can figure that out. The finer the task the lighter the touch. Imagine if I asked you to try to draw, freehand, a perfect 12 inch circle. Pretty tough task. Now imagine trying to do it while gripping a pencil as hard as you can.

On full drives I grip as hard as I can. This way it tears out of my hand with great velocity. At least great velocity for an old guy. :D If you don't grip hard it slips out and you lose power and direction. On softer throws the disc won't slip out unless your hand and/or disc are wet or cold (but those are different issues).

Tape works too. I like paper tape which you can find it in any drug store.

Only a few discs have sharp rims, which is obvious by holding them. A disc with a bead on the rim, by itself, doesn't bother me. Of course, we are all different. A high shoulder combined with a bead (like a Predator) does.

Thanks Mark and JR!

The advice has really helped. I've been gripping tighter on the release and my index finger has not gotten nearly as irritated. However, my mechanics need a lot of help. My drives have been maxing out in the 250-275 range.

Below is a video of a couple throws... again, any advice is appreciated!

You can look back farther so that the shoulders can turn farther back in the reach back. If you stop the right leg in place relative to the ground in the plant step when the heel drops to the ground and the ball of the foot rises up you can twist the hips more easily also turning the shoulders. From passive transition of momentum in the kinetic chain from the left toe to the disc. But before all that is accomplished you should move the arm from the shoulder and bending the elbow to get the elbow well closer to the target than the rest of your body when the disc is at the right pec. From there you should push fast with the left leg and also actively twist the hips and turn the shoulder. You pull slowly with the arm which is fine for approach throws=your current D. The arm will move faster from the elbow forward form change but it can be improved on with a faster arm whip. Check your balance after the disc has left until the follow through ends. You might benefit from slight changes in where you place the steps in the x, plant and follow through steps. Not bad form at all but you need to power it too so quicker muscle movements=trying harder but staying loose at least until the right pec position with the right arm should help.

Cliff note: The pause is missing so searching for that should provide tips.

Latest posts