• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grow the Sport

I don't know what to do. On the one hand, the thread was started by a brand-new account with only one post, and in that post they're asking for Facebook "likes," so my reaction is a negative and skeptical one.

On the other hand, it's for disc golf in Kenya, which is a great cause.

What to do?

Yeah, I wonder how many "likes" it will take for the sport to be officially grown. I'd hate to come up just one short.

I don't do FB, but my wife does, and I understand the skepticism.

If this is for real, welcome to the site and good luck. Otherwise, PM me and I'll help you move your family fortune out of Kenya.

Yeah, I wonder how many "likes" it will take for the sport to be officially grown. I'd hate to come up just one short.

I don't do FB, but my wife does, and I understand the skepticism.

I'll bet you also make little kids die of cancer because they only got 999,999 likes instead of 1,000,000. :D

After looking at the page, I am lead to believe that this is a person in the USA whose son "the ambassador" has started a group to donate discs to Kenya, and is also maybe trying to start up "full blown disc golf?"

I'll bet you also make little kids die of cancer because they only got 999,999 likes instead of 1,000,000. :D

If you agree with this post, type "amen". ;)

I really wish the OP luck, if I was going to Kenya I would want to do the same thing.

If you "like" his page and share it on your timeline you will get an ace by the end of the week! :hfive:However, if you ignore his post and move on you will loose your favorite disc in Davy Jones's locker by the end of the week. :eek:

Bahahaha!! Clearly this is what has been holding "the sport" back all these years :D

Just my $.02, and in saying this I confess that I know very little about life in Kenya, or Africa in general for that matter. It just seems to me that there are far more pressing matters in that part of the world to deal with before introducing disc golf to it.

Assuming real journalism isn't quite dead yet, the local news makes me think the kid and his dad are legit.

I get Scarp's point that 3rd world countries have more important things to deal with... DG is probably buried pretty far down on your typical Kenyan's "To Do" list. Nonetheless, kids need an outlet. My bet is the worse a kid's situation is, the more they really need some sort of diversion to occupy their time.

That said, a bunch of golf discs and a single basket do not a course make. I suppose kids could make up their own object courses, and if it catches on, the game could evolve somewhat organically from that (as it did here). I'm just trying to picture what their reaction's going to be to receiving a bunch of discs with nothing to throw at except the Kenyan National Basket.

*freely admits his post is only worth half as much as the post preceeding it.*
-Reduced to just my $0.01 worth -

Last edited:
I took a missions trip to Kenya and I can at least speak to the fact that the kids I encountered loved throwing a frisbee around. Some parts of the country are modernized (Nairobi) and could afford hobbies like disc golf. The more rural areas however would likely prefer to eat than purchase plastic.

Matt

Just my $.02, and in saying this I confess that I know very little about life in Kenya, or Africa in general for that matter. It just seems to me that there are far more pressing matters in that part of the world to deal with before introducing disc golf to it.

4 real. I dont even see the point to something like this. It wont grow DG nor really help anyone who needs it there.

I'm guessing if given a chance to decide, they would rather have the money (from a used or new disc sold) to buy food.

I don't know what to do. On the one hand, the thread was started by a brand-new account with only one post, and in that post they're asking for Facebook "likes," so my reaction is a negative and skeptical one.

On the other hand, it's for disc golf in Kenya, which is a great cause.

What to do?

Sean is a local that's been playing disc golf around here for a long time. This is legit.
There are plenty of disc golfers that don't use this forum, that doesn't make them bad people. I just wonder if any of my old unmarked discs that I might have lost at the Twin Rivers course are now in Africa ? :)

Wow, so much...
My son and I are only trying to provide children with the chance to play a game and have some fun.
The Facebook page is legit and if you would go and see the pictures of these kids with discs and the smiles that are on their faces is the only thing that matters to us!
Yes there is only one basket there, but it is our long time goal to bring more baskets and discs to grow the sport we love.
I will not post anything else about this.
Thank you to all the people who have helped us with this project and who knows maybe one day,:The next champion could be from Kenya.

Latest posts