• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Grow the sport"

I don't see any confusion in "growing the sport" because I live in Chicago proper where Illinois Institute of Technology has the only course within the city and which is no longer worth visiting because it is a six hole due to campus construction. The other one that is near the city is a par 3 9 hole.
The best courses for play are about 30 minutes outside of the city, and the hands down best is Dellwood which is pretty close to an hours drive from where I live.
i.e. Growing the sport for a city locked person such as myself and where we have the park space in several of our cities historic and massive parks is pretty much a no brainer. Especially where some of them could use the influx of traffic to put eyes on them so as to reduce crime in much the same way that Dellwood did for Lockport.

dude, I'll meet you at IIT for three rounds of 6 hole DG! it's five minutes from me.

The thread could've ended here.

It depends on the region if the community is open to feedback. I've previously lived in a region where feedback was welcomed (and I loved the feedback for what I was working on). The region I live now, I've noticed feedback is not welcome at all.

Made the drive and threw Cedars a few weeks ago. The course is still great fun. It's a shame it's bit of a hike from Cincy.

I would love to see the sport grow to where we have more private courses. I am happy to pay for a better maintained and cleaner course.

Remember to leave your share in the donation box. A little extra won't hurt either.

I really don't understand this one. I love disc golf but I also love what it is....right now. To that end I ask you who exactly benefits from growing the sport? I can see how the manufacturers will benefit most of all. I can see how a HANDFUL of ELITE TOURING PROS will benefit. How does grow the sport benefit the average disc golfer? Average casual player?

Is "grow the sport" just a veiled way of saying "pay players more?" I find myself confused by this "movement" and would like to try to understand why people feel this way.

Grow the sport? Too late. This sites already done it.

I feel like grow the sport means to make more people aware,get more people involved,let people know how great the disc golf community is

Since I started playing (~6 years ago) there have been 30 new courses opened within 100 miles of me. Several existing courses within 100 miles have been revised/expanded in that same time frame.

Of the 30 new courses. I won't be going back to roughly half, unless they redesign them.

More courses can be a bad thing, unless they are properly designed. Ideally, multiple tees for different skill sets. I'm not interested in a pitch and putt 9 holer anymore than I am interested in a Gold level pro course. Although, if I had to choose, I would play the Gold level course.

Reasons to grow the sport (in no particular order):

More players means the demand for more courses

More players gives the impression to park and rec departments that this is not a fringe sport

More money for pay to play courses which usually is not a bad thing

More likely smaller companies can stay in business

Add-ons and secondary markets have more business

Leagues feel like events, not a small social gathering of friends

Tournaments become cannot-miss events with vendors and sponsors making it worth your while

Now for the cons:
More casual players who think it is acceptable to tag benches, tee signs, and baskets

Longer waits and back-ups

More likelihood of someone getting hit

More confrontations that lead to altercations

Financial sustainability is in growing the game, not so much the sport. More playing the game ultimately supports the viability of the sport.

Financial sustainability is in growing the game, not so much the sport. More playing the game ultimately supports the viability of the sport.

How are you distinguishing the "sport" from the "game"? organized vs casual?

Ya know, this thread (or this current iteration of the same thread) is making me realize I've never heard the term "grow the sport" except on DGCR -- always disparaged. Now I don't use Facebook or reddit, so maybe I'm missing the mentions.

The fact is, the sport or game of disc golf is growing. And not everyone likes change. And not all change is necessarily for the better. But hey, that's going to happen without anyone saying #growthesport. Meanwhile, I'll be happy to try some new courses. And yes, DG companies, I'll be using your products in the process.

I saw "grow the sport" used several times recently, locally, and positively, saluting the guy who negotiated to get a new course installed on a (ball) golf course.

As for sport vs. game, whether there's a distinction or not, I don't think those using the phrase are making one.

But armiller's right---whether anyone uses the phrase or opposes the phrase, and whatever facets of disc golf anyone considers "the sport", it's growing, and looks to continue to grow for the foreseeable future. #stopgrowingthesport would be a vastly greater challenge.

Ya know, this thread (or this current iteration of the same thread) is making me realize I've never heard the term "grow the sport" except on DGCR -- always disparaged. Now I don't use Facebook or reddit, so maybe I'm missing the mentions.

Naked Olympics, #grow the sport.

I got 2/3 of the way through a Gordie Howe "grow the sport" hat trick yesterday. I introduced disc golf to a completely new player and bought some sweet merch from a dg retailer. Unfortunately, I don't own a dog to take off leash to complete the cycle

I got 2/3 of the way through a Gordie Howe "grow the sport" hat trick yesterday. I introduced disc golf to a completely new player and bought some sweet merch from a dg retailer. Unfortunately, I don't own a dog to take off leash to complete the cycle

did you buy a dime at least?

As for sport vs. game, whether there's a distinction or not, I don't think those using the phrase are making one.

I was refering to Chuck's quote where he definitely makes a distinction. I was just wondering what that distinction is. No big deal, just curiousity so I can follow the discussion.

"Financial sustainability is in growing the game, not so much the sport. More playing the game ultimately supports the viability of the sport."

Latest posts