• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Grow the sport"

I was refering to Chuck's quote where he definitely makes a distinction. I was just wondering what that distinction is. No big deal, just curiousity so I can follow the discussion.

"Financial sustainability is in growing the game, not so much the sport. More playing the game ultimately supports the viability of the sport."

I was, too. Though probably not clearly.

I got 2/3 of the way through a Gordie Howe "grow the sport" hat trick yesterday. I introduced disc golf to a completely new player and bought some sweet merch from a dg retailer. Unfortunately, I don't own a dog to take off leash to complete the cycle

Seems to me you need to sign a lease. I can get you 36 months at $420.00/month with $666.00 due at signing.

Go outside and "grow the sport" sure beats sit inside and "grow the waistline"

Years ago, when I started playing (2003) my friends and I would use the PDGA site to find courses. When a new course got put in we were so excited. When DGCR launched, we were pumped because we could actually plan elaborate road trips and get solid info from locals through the reviews. In short, during that discovery phase for me, I got so excited when new courses or websites came out where I could experience different aspects of disc golf. More recently, it's the advent of professionally edited tournament footage. My sons wait for Jomez and CCDG to pump out content and they watch it all. They don't care who's playing; they want to see the courses.

In short, I've seen a ton of growth over 16 years. More discs and companies, more media, more players, etc. To me, I love the growth because it results in more courses. Many of you guys/gals have come into the sport within the last 7 years when it was already pretty big and is still growing. That makes it easy to want to keep the community small. Growing pains, I get it. But for those of us who used to have to plan weekend excursions and drive 35-45 minutes between courses...well, we love the number of new courses.

As a side note, because I saw it mentioned...please don't complain when a town puts in a "pitch and putt" course unless it's in a wide open field or something. Every area needs a course like that to introduce kids and new players. Also, it provides some of us with an opportunity for a very quick casual round. As a newlywed with no kids in 2003 (and now I have 3 kids) it was easy to go play when I liked for as long as I liked. Now, being able to sneak out a play a round in a little over an hour is a great thing.