• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Growing a DG community?

DiscNutt123

Double Eagle Member
I just moved to Midland, TX from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Basically from a huge, respected disc golf scene (respected by the cities) to an almost non-serious scene of basically rec players. I'm shocked at how many people actually play in Midland, and how many are actually good golfers. That being said, there is no respect for disc golf as a sport and the people who play it and want to grow it in Midland. So my question is how have some of you, in smaller cities, gained respect from the city for disc golf and gain help like grants for teepads and such??

I'm starting a mini and the one course here that will hopefully build some interest, then eventually start a club etc., etc...

Any advice would be awesome!

Charity tournaments, especially for popular local causes are always a great way to increase the visibility of the local disc golf scene and build some good will with players and the community.

Charity tournaments, especially for popular local causes are always a great way to increase the visibility of the local disc golf scene and build some good will with players and the community.

Agreed. I have never built up a disc golf community but I have built a reputation for some local small companies. Charity events and especially events that directly influence the area do wonders in popularity growth.

My area isnt in the same position yours sounds like, we had seen a club or two try to start up and eventually fail due to a few issues that i wont get into, but i started the latest incarnation of our local club, and after these last few months its been going well. We have about 50 people who participate in league (not on the same day) some are more regular than others, but we have great turnouts for weekday and weekend leagues, 5 leagues in all, 4 doubles, 1 singles. I started utilizing facebook and its really helped a to, made a group page thats private and a fan page, attendance is up and the crowd has improved a lot. We had a lot of guys, mostly an older crowd thats been playing for awhile, cant play without being stoned or drunk, hate any kind of change or innovation, just generally negative. But there is also a crowd of people in late teens to late 20's who are really positive and love to play and compete and could care less about all the bs. Together weve made it clear that their drama isnt welcome and the scene here is growing faster than it has ever before. So my advice would be surround yourself with a good group of like minded people and go from there, gather input from them, do things for the community and your local courses and try and establish a good relationship with area parks people

Is the course in Midland still located at the college? I remember it being only 9 holes, and not really all that attractive as far as a challenge (unless you count the ever-present wind).

I don't want to sound completely negative because any course is better than no course, but some layouts just will not keep folks interested long term. If you can find another location for the course (or possibly work to get a new 9 holes installed elsewhere) that keeps golfers away from other community activities (playgrounds, school buildings, walking trails, popular fishing holes, etc.), you may have better retention rates. Also, with a different location, you may be able to install a course that has more diverse challenges than I remember from the college course.

Above all, try to stay positive when dealing with the Parks Dept. (or other entities that own properties for your courses). If at all possible find an experienced designer to evaluate your present course for faults or possible re-design, or to lay-out a course on a different piece of property. Also, charity events certainly help getting the community support.

Have an Ice Bowl. You may still be able to get one registered for this winter if you're quick. Let it benefit a local charity that will give the dg scene a good reputation. Invite the local press to do a story on the event.