• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Growth of DG?

To grow or not to grow?

• Total voters
Sure, I'd like the sport to grow, if it means more and better courses.
But when I show up at my home course at 11am on a weekday and can't get on the first tee or the 10th tee without waiting, I have second thoughts about whether growth of the sport is positive or negative.

The thing about courses getting crowded is that it shows park districts that disc golf is a viable inclusion in park planning that will bring a lot of people out to use the facilities. If you live in an area with crowded courses, make friends with a parks employee and take them out to the course on a busy saturday afternoon. Show them how many people you can reach with a course and use it as a positive for adding courses in your area.

I'm going to go with whatever eventually happens, because its not like I have any choice in the matter.

Well, except to quit playing. And I don't see that happening.

I'm fine with where it's at right now; the availability of courses, variety of products out there, division between Pro/AM and the availability of tournaments and leagues. IMO there has already been an explosion in DG's popularity and this is something I've noticed in the dozen years I've been active in the sport. I say enjoy where it's at now because if it ever becomes mainstream it will lose a lot of the flavor it currents enjoys.

Grow baby grow~

My local area is constantly adding courses as of late and I am loving it. I am hearing about another course coming in San Jose and possibly Martinez as well.

I'm believe the sport will GROW the way some would wish for, namely national TV coverage. Acceptance as a true and legitimate "sport." Perhaps even inclusion in the Olympics, but that's probably a stretch. That is I believe its possible. But in any event I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Several things have to happen for this type of growth. Major Sponsorship, better PDGA focus, courses designed for optimal television exposure as well as challenging, more professional attitude towards the sport by the players... This aint happening overnight.

The sport IS growing, no matter who you are or where you live, the sport is definitely growing. In the short 6 1/2 years that I have been playing I've witnessed this growth.
- The Western NY area has seen the installation of at least 8 new courses including 1 private course.
- This same private course has plans for expansion to include another 18.
- The State has plans or proposals for another.
- The state has hired a disc golf "consultant" for Western NY.
- The City of Buffalo now has a proposal as well.
- At least 2 more retail outlets have started carrying discs
- And although I have no direct evidence to support this other than the above, there sure seems to be a lot more folks using these courses.
- And how many new disc golf manufacturers has there been in the past 6 years? And this growth isn't just in the USA.

As for me I like things the way they are. Yes its growing, sometimes a little faster than it should, but continue to grow it does. So if you are among those who don't want growth maybe its time to find a different counter culture thing to spend your time on.

Aside from more courses near where you (anyone) live, what does growth actually get us?

I can play pro division, and do well in it, but I can't beat the Pro Pros. So what does that get me aside from less holes per hour on my practice/casual rounds? I understand if you're good enough to make a living from DG then by all means push for growth...but if this is just a hobby of yours I'm beyond confused.

I've read so many of these threads over the past four years and I still don't get it:(

This poll could be refined even further:

#1---I wish disc golf would stay where it is, not adding any more players or courses.

#2---I think disc golf will continue to grow as a participation sport, in the direction it has, and I don't care whether it grows as a spectator sport.

#3---I'd like to see disc golf grow as a spectator sport, and it would if only we followed a different path.

#4---I'd like to see disc golf grow as a spectator sport, but I know it won't, no matter what we do.

#5---Disc golf is destined to grow into a spectator sport, and I can't wait.

Aside from more courses near where you (anyone) live, what does growth actually get us?

I can play pro division, and do well in it, but I can't beat the Pro Pros. So what does that get me aside from less holes per hour on my practice/casual rounds? I understand if you're good enough to make a living from DG then by all means push for growth...but if this is just a hobby of yours I'm beyond confused.

More courses is reason in itself.

Among other things, more tournaments, more tournaments closer by, more people in those tournaments---all have appeal to me, as a semi-regular tournament player. Up to the point that the calendar is overbooked.

More players may mean more people I know and meet, with whom I can share my hobby.

I have been playing disc golf for almost 20 years, and it's grown vastly over that time. I much prefer the current state of affairs to the one when I started. I'm inclined to believe that future growth, in the manner of the past, will also be a benefit.

Grow the game, we will all benefit. Ok, the cynics who want to keep it to themselves for selfish reasons will disagree. The growth of disc golf, especially if driven by those who play it, will result in more and better courses, more amenities for players at courses, increased purses at both Am and Pro tournaments, increased sponsorship levels and major sponsors, and a greater diversity of course options for all levels of play. Grow the game.

I would love for the game to grow in the direction of private, expensive, pay to play courses. I want tee times and guaranteed expertly groomed grounds. I would pay twenty five dollars a round for that experience. Or maybe a yearly membership fee of up to a thousand dollars for nearly unlimited use. I don't need amenities. I don't need leagues or tournaments. I don't need a course pro. I just want to pay to be separated from the unwashed masses.

When that happens, disc golf will have arrived.

I would love for the game to grow in the direction of private, expensive, pay to play courses. I want tee times and guaranteed expertly groomed grounds. I would pay twenty five dollars a round for that experience. Or maybe a yearly membership fee of up to a thousand dollars for nearly unlimited use. I don't need amenities. I don't need leagues or tournaments. I don't need a course pro. I just want to pay to be separated from the unwashed masses.

When that happens, disc golf will have arrived.

:clap:

Didn't know how to answer...

I want more high caliber courses and dg destinations.
More media coverage and worldwide sport recognition.

I don't want more people on the course (that I'm playing at the moment).

As to the growth on the manufacturing side of things, there's a very simple reason for this. Innova's patent on the beveled edge design expired. New/ other companies don't have to pay royalties to Innova on every disc they make. It's that simple.

Growth is good for people in rural areas without many courses near them. We need more places to play. Living in the suburbs of Chicago I hated waiting to play.

The quality of courses where I live is pretty weak. Growing the game, I believe, will improve the quality and quantity of courses in my area.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I would hope that a stricter standard for course construction would be out there, so you'd have less courses going in where the designers don't have a clue of what they're doing.

And yes, I understand Hammer. It seems the number of courses I go to with screwed up teepads, extremely short holes, poor layout, overlap in holes, etc. far outweighs those courses that actually do a decent job in my state. I still play them and have fun, but deep down inside I'm thinking "Really?!"

It seems that the consensus is the rich folks want the poor folks out of the game. Unwashed masses....wtf.

Latest posts