• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gummy star plastic?

blur

Par Member
I just came across a F2 Star TL the other day that was just as gummy and soft as the Pro TL.. In fact I though it was a pro TL until I saw the *TL marking..

Every other star plastic I have handled is hard and slick. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this..

I have a gummy Echo Star Excaliber and a gummy Star Orc. The other few star discs I own have that more firm feeling.

I've run across some good runs of gummy star plastic. I've found that a good majoritiy of the red star plastic is tacky and gummy. It seems like some of the orange plastic is softer too. Star plastic is anything from hard and slick to soft and tacky/gummy, you have to shop around to find what you like.

I've run across some good runs of gummy star plastic. I've found that a good majoritiy of the red star plastic is tacky and gummy. It seems like some of the orange plastic is softer too. Star plastic is anything from hard and slick to soft and tacky/gummy, you have to shop around to find what you like.

So right... I have a Star Teebird that is hard as a rock and now this Star TL which is gummy.. I usually throw champ and there are very little variances in grip, but recently got some beat up star plastic that I have been enjoying and figured I'd give the plastic a go.

Is the gummy stuff as durable?

Gummy stuff, if it is "true" gummy goodness, should be even more durable due to the fact that it can absorb impacts better. But I don't know if the Star plastic fits the bill. If you can't fold it in half, it's not a "true" gummy disc. But the "true" factor doesn't really matter as long as it hits and sticks!

Yep, I've found this to be the case as well. Luckily Disc Golf World here in KC is great and will let you search through their stacks in the warehouse to find what you want. But you gotta search for the odd gummy ones. I don't think it's any particular runs, but just kind of hit and miss as to when you find a gummy one.

I found a bubblegum pink leopard w/ blueish and white streaks that was the gummiest, grippiest plastic ever. Grip feels more like X-link or soft Vibram than any star plastic, but the disc itself is quite rigid. It feels great, but unfortunately for me flies like no leopard I've ever thrown. It's not a meathook, but it's more overstable than a champ teebird. Obviously not what I was looking for in a leopard, so unfortunately it never gets thrown.

On a related note, I've asked this in other threads but never saw an answer. I know that mids like the mako and roc are all in a softer grippier blend of star than normal. They're not gummy, but much softer than what I've felt in any other star plastic. Does anyone know if other molds are being molded with this plastic as well? I could really get down with a teebird or leopard in that blend, but I don't know if it's exclusive to the mids. Any info is much appreciated.

I have a star firebird that is quite gummy. It's blue but has a marble swirly thing going on with it. It's not as meaty as most firebirds either. It does have healthy fade but not a biting fade.

Innova's plastic is getting weird lately. I've got a newer champion eagle and the plastic is identical to my S-line gremlin, same exact color(wine colored), flexibility, opacity, grip and all.

I have two Star plastic discs that I carry (red Teebird and blue Destroyer) the Teebird has a tourney stamp from 2010 and the Destroyer is pre Avery so they both have some age. That being said I will not buy Star plastic unless I get to feel it first to make sure it feels like these two discs.

So right... I have a Star Teebird that is hard as a rock and now this Star TL which is gummy.. I usually throw champ and there are very little variances in grip, but recently got some beat up star plastic that I have been enjoying and figured I'd give the plastic a go.

Is the gummy stuff as durable?

IME, gumminess increases durability due to the fact that it can absorb and kind of deflect the energy when a disc hits something hard. Some gummy discs are too soft and gouge easily though. Gummy star plastic is generally good, but gummy champ plastic is straight $$$ and highly sought after. Gummy champ is pretty much equal to the old CE plastic. I've had some discs in gummy champ that literally never changed their flight characteristics over time. One of those was a spider that I recently lost. That thing had hit a LOT of tree trunks at full power, point blank range and it always flew the same way. I was REALLY upset when I threw that thing into the drink a couple weeks back. I've got a replacement on the way, I'm hoping it's the same consistency as that one...

Last edited:

Latest posts