• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guy stands in field to try and throw plastic to 400.

I have one of those nets. It works great so far. Fast and easy setup/takedown. Sets up in my garage or basement and can have some practice when the weather isn't so good.

Hi guys.

So after my mini meltdown of confidence (in part due to working full time + getting my business off the ground) I took some time off to re-evaluate my swing thoughts completely. Something wasn't right.

I re-watched a lot of material and it came to me during the slash thru video (.thanks machete22)

I believe I had been thinking about the throw in terms of a pull motion and I was way off, I still thought that you could create leverage this way but I was very very wrong. I thought about re-directing the weight and what I would need to do for that, I also thought about SP's comments on my blasting from the shoulder problem. I combined the two and some takeaways from Olympic hammer throw and started rotating on the spot. Then with a disc in my hand. I finally felt what I believe is "the hit". I guess I never felt it before because I tried my old style and nothing was there (well, barely).

I then combined this new motion into what I've learned so far, shifting my weight onto my plant from behind to start the pressing of momentum into "rotation". The disc felt heavy and laggy as it ripped out of my hand. I'm thinking holy sh** that was awesome. Ok, let's try it with a loose arm. Even more power! Sweet!

So I could be totally wrong but I think I at least figured something major out, the floppy arm swing though revelation. I took it to the course and threw an eMac truth further than I've thrown a fairway driver on my first drive.

My balance is out of whack and my set up is a little wonky but hopefully I'm on the right track now. Thanks guys!

When I figured it out; 50% power

https://youtu.be/CW4N5jTtJwk

Today, trying to get to the pocket better; 70%

https://youtu.be/k8RmL5QZxoQ

Nice, that looks way better! I can see in your pre-swings that you're feeling that arc where the disc wants to continue out, and then you're getting to the same spot in those throws.

That's awesome when you see a mid crush on a line that looks like a fairway driver. Definitely shows you're throwing way more efficiently like this.

Today, trying to get to the pocket better; 70%

https://youtu.be/k8RmL5QZxoQ

Some seriously great progress!

So getting to the "power pocket" is not going to be a conscious thing. It's a thing that simply "happens" when you allow lag to happen and that's probably going to be through loosening up the arm muscles.

Here's me from yesterday getting my hand to the outside of the disc. I can tell you I was thinking nothing about where my hand was on the disc or even about where my arm was. I simply kept the arm loose and powered with the body (in my case, just the upper body basically).

V9r0Ap5.png

Here's nikko doing things better than I ever will
1bJraZ7.png

Looks like you are activating the arm a little too early still. Once you delay that a little longer you'll get deeper into the "power pocket".

Thanks fellas it feels REALLLY good haha.

Looking forward to implementing just about everything we've previously discussed to get results! I feel like this was really holding me back from almost all the concepts.

UN; gotcha on the pocket, so it's literally just that lag? Now I have to figure out the turbo encabulator. My strong arming willl take some time to kill off but now I feel on the right path. So stoked!

I'm really not a fan of the power pocket term either. Just try to keep that heavy pulling feeling of the disc during the whole throw, while being aware that it's ok for your forearm to get lagged back. On video after you'll see that "power pocket" position. It's something that's easy to see in footage from any good thrower, but it's just that lagged position. I like to think of trying to get to a "launch position" instead, to then pull out of. This launch position is like 6-12" farther forward than the classic power pocket picture we think of, and much easier to feel when it's right.

I really think that getting to or creating the power pocket is a very destructive thing that most players are trying to emulate. At least for me it has been.

Yeah it looks like a really weak position too so its confusing. It's only a strong position because of is happening before with the transfer of energy. Can't see acceleration in an image.

I'm really not a fan of the power pocket term either. Just try to keep that heavy pulling feeling of the disc during the whole throw, while being aware that it's ok for your forearm to get lagged back. On video after you'll see that "power pocket" position. It's something that's easy to see in footage from any good thrower, but it's just that lagged position. I like to think of trying to get to a "launch position" instead, to then pull out of. This launch position is like 6-12" farther forward than the classic power pocket picture we think of, and much easier to feel when it's right.

I really think that getting to or creating the power pocket is a very destructive thing that most players are trying to emulate. At least for me it has been.

No word of a lie it's been holding me back for over two years. Like you all said to me in the past it's not about trying to get into these positions (forcibly) it's doing the right feeling thing to get there. I'm excited to show my friends this too.

Yeah like in this image, number 6 is the important one to feel that you can really swing from.

The power pocket is 5, and it's just kind of the next stage of 4 if you've kept that weighted swing feel. You'll go through some variation of 5 but I don't think it's that important to think of. You have to do it, but it shouldn't be a goal.

attachment.php

Looks like you are activating the arm a little too early still. Once you delay that a little longer you'll get deeper into the "power pocket".
Yeah that is looking much better.

I think it's a matter of delaying the start of the backswing more after landing on left foot. He hits the top of the backswing too early before planting so everything starts going forward early or dragging into the plant.

I'm really not a fan of the power pocket term either.

Yeah it looks like a really weak position too so its confusing. It's only a strong position because of is happening before with the transfer of energy. Can't see acceleration in an image.

No word of a lie it's been holding me back for over two years. Like you all said to me in the past it's not about trying to get into these positions (forcibly) it's doing the right feeling thing to get there. I'm excited to show my friends this too.
Wide-narrow-wide redirection with swim move:

5851NqB.jpg

So I've been having a ton of fun with this new swing. I can't believe how much easier it is to throw like this. I e been having issues with shots going right a lot though, I adjusted my stride to compensate but I don't think it's right. Is the shifting to left conversation still relevant? I take it I have to stride in line to target then move my weight left on the plant stride? It's a bit confusing. I see lizotte stride in line then internally then back out!

I'm playing around with the wide rail and it feels SO wide and far away, but then in footage looks like I can go wider! I think I have to turn back later in the backswing I'm
A bit ahead of myself.

https://youtu.be/d13hvXzI8D4

Yeah that stride direction looks reasonable for that release point to me. You don't want to step way left on the last step...you want to continue on the same line/path the whole time. But that line will be right-to-left or closed relative to your release trajectory.

Like here you can see McBeth is striding back right to front left corner of teepad in a continual smooth motion. But his initial throw trajectory is pretty "straight" down the left side of the fairway relative to the teepad, or closed relative to his body position at the hit point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqAGcMdpLA

Nice swing! Now stop stepping your left foot in front of your right foot toward left teepad. Step behind toward the right teepad side out of the way for the right foot to stride straight/kick the can. You are trying to cross your legs over too far/deep inline with each other and tipping your balance to the left. Look at Climo's balance on the x-step centered between his feet and left foot is stepping way out of the way toward the right and feet barely crossover each other.
attachment.php

Thankyou SW! Couldn't of doe it without you guys, Thankyou everyone for your insight and patience.

I'm still make adjustments to this new swing, and still having problems with my balance, I'm kicking the can more behind me but it's still not enough, the more behind I go with the left foot the more centered I'll be?

https://youtu.be/bbt1p3z3uHU

Here's a clip of me trying to adjust, still wonky but at least I can see it.

Also, as soon as I start going the slightest bit faster through the x step I start tipping forwards! So have to back off down to a walk speed. Will this just take time to Ingrain my balance better the faster I move? Because it feels more powerful with the slow walk compared to the hop right now.,

https://youtu.be/iww4iWZAI9Q

I'm getting a little further into the pocket and when I watch the disc it helps tremendously. It sure is hard to delay the outward arc.

Next question; I'm currently planting pretty flat footed, the gas pedal only works when going toe heel correct? (Plantar flexion? On the instep). So to increase the swing size I have to shift my weight quickier so the arc is bigger? Just want to make sure I'm
Understanding it correctly.

I'm having the most fun I've ever had playing with these effortless swings, and nailing lines 70% of the time, but release points are wild as hell on occasion! Slow down? Or focus on hit point? Or both!

Need to turn/swivel your butt more toward the target(about 30-45 degrees) on the x-step(Hershyzer). Your butt is facing right teepad side when your left leg starts crossing over, so it twists against the pelvis instead of smoothly swiveling everything more together. This should also help being turned further back going into the plant. You need to commit to looking away from the target and watching your disc instead of trying to look at the target. The thumb/disc is your target for the eyes, thumb points straight back away from trajectory and throw your thumb to point at trajectory/release. Your body/butt/foot does the aiming to the target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4

Your left arm is just hanging out there and going around you, instead of coming in forward into the body/plant to help anchor/leverage the swing forward on the front leg. This might be a cause of the wildness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90&t=8m45s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04BGqmuaT8g&

If you want to throw a distance line(all distance lines start out to left) the arm/disc should point toward the rear right teepad with wide upper arm angle, so your whole body needs to turn like 45 degrees further back on those. Your "reachback" position there is only good for hyzers, but your shoulders(and hips) should be turned even further back so your upper arm is even wider with the same arm/disc position.

Not exactly sure your question on the gas pedal. Stride speed/length makes the swing longer(as well as body turn), but the shift between the feet needs to be or feel the same regardless.
Ride the Bull - drive the front heel down by shifting quick off the rear foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=74s

Great thanks sw! Is a tilt towards the target a bad sign? Or is it dependant on wether I shifted in balance properly?

Another thing, the hips automatically fire correct? I shouldn't be swivelling my butt to start the swing? It *feels* powerful when I plant then give my hips a little twist. I may be mis-interpreting the HUB one step video where he says we need to shift into the brace, not slide into it. I was under the impression we just make a lateral move from behind and then the hips automatically do the work.

If you want to throw a distance line(all distance lines start out to left) the arm/disc should point toward the rear right teepad with wide upper arm angle, so your whole body needs to turn like 45 degrees further back on those. Your "reachback" position there is only good for hyzers, but your shoulders(and hips) should be turned even further back so your upper arm is even wider with the same arm/disc position.

Toward rear right teepad?! Wouldn't this be rounding? Or am I just turned back that much more? So an intentional grip lock?

Latest posts