• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gyro Chat GYROS RULE (ps innova archon something something)

Tomatoes aside, I'm curious to know some recent thoughts on Archons. Are there any that fly well into mild headwinds? If so, what plastic, weight, shape (domey or flat) are you throwing? Keep in mind my max D is 375' or so.

Yesterday I picked up a soft, 166 Star with a nice gradual dome (not pop-top domey). It's realllly nice into tailwinds, and I'm guessing just as good when there is no wind. It needs too much hyzer into a mild headwind. I know I could step over to Wraiths for that shot, but I want to keep my mold count lower.

Fightingthetide said:
Tomatoes aside, I'm curious to know some recent thoughts on Archons. Are there any that fly well into mild headwinds?
Yes. They're the Wraith stamped ones.

I'm still really digging the Archons. I have a few CFRs and one Star and my Star isn't that much more understable than my CFRs. I don't get the lack of glide that some people have mentioned and find them quite controllable for how understable they are.
My Archons fly the way I like a beat Wraith to fly but I've had my Wraiths beat into all kinds of stability combinations. Some of my Wraiths lost their LSS first but kept their HSS and became super straight. Some lost their HSS first but maintained a nice amount of LSS, I generally like these best and get the rarest. And a few lost considerable HSS and LSS and I have very little use for these.
So, my Archons have taken what used to be the beat Wraith slot in my bag. I've been testing them heavily for a while now and am confident that they'll be here to stay.

NoLifeLeft said:
I'm still really digging the Archons. I have a few CFRs and one Star and my Star isn't that much more understable than my CFRs. I don't get the lack of glide that some people have mentioned and find them quite controllable for how understable they are.
My Archons fly the way I like a beat Wraith to fly but I've had my Wraiths beat into all kinds of stability combinations. Some of my Wraiths lost their LSS first but kept their HSS and became super straight. Some lost their HSS first but maintained a nice amount of LSS, I generally like these best and get the rarest. And a few lost considerable HSS and LSS and I have very little use for these.
So, my Archons have taken what used to be the beat Wraith slot in my bag. I've been testing them heavily for a while now and am confident that they'll be here to stay.

Archons have glide as long as they are flat and the problem lies just there. They don't stay flat long enough to be straight and long enough given the speed and the amount of negative HSS. There are discs that fade as much and as fast and long, but have way more HSS thus being way more dependable. There are equally understable discs at high speeds that keep the anny better and are straighter and longer. What would be the point in having a worse straight disc, shorter disc, not anny keeping disc, not wind fighting disc and better s-curvers if there are better discs for each of those roles? I like gyros better than Archons tomato or not. On the disc or in the gyros.

Mine glide fine on angles. I've not lost any distance in the switch from beat Wraiths to Archons (400'-ish). I have no reliability issues with mine. I like the control I get from them, I can get a nice flattened hyzer, hyzer-flip, or big turnover out of my Archons just by changing my initial hyzer angle. I'm glad Innova finally released a good workable hyzerflipper in premium plastic that is less than warp speed and doesn't require a beating to achieve its stability.

I never claimed the Archon was a cure all for every players distance woes. I'm actually using it as a long range line shaper and other discs for distance. I merely put out my (very good) experiences with this disc, as always YMMV.

You can have the tomato, I'll take your unwanted Archons. Works out for everyone. :)

Does your Archon have an abrupt change in the flight from flat to a hard fade in very few seconds? Mine just dies and drops to the ground like a shot bird once it exits from flat flight. If not maybe you've got a more HSS and possibly less LSS example to mine. I like my 166 Pro Wraith, that is broken in better.

JR said:
Does your Archon have an abrupt change in the flight from flat to a hard fade in very few seconds? Mine just dies and drops to the ground like a shot bird once it exits from flat flight. If not maybe you've got a more HSS and possibly less LSS example to mine. I like my 166 Pro Wraith, that is broken in better.
Probably not more HSS, I never doubt that mine will turn. The LSS of mine is enough to bring it back from a slight turnover but it never just abruptly kills the flight and isn't punishing on a flattened hyzer.

The reason I've enjoyed my Archon so much is it is very fitting for my style of throw. The power at which mine turns seems rather broad and forgiving. I feel that I can get a turn out of it at 70% but have no trouble keeping it in the air on a 90% throw. I rarely have it turn much more or less than I intended and that is super useful for me. I top out at about 400' with it but in the 350'-380' range I get extremely precise control over placement.

My performance with this disc has caused many "What disc was THAT?" questions.

I recently picked up a seasoned star archon and pulled my beat pro wraith from the bag to give it some work during a practice round yesterday. I really like it for flip up to stable shots with little fade at the end as it reminded me of my seasoned star valk only faster. Thrown with a little more hyzer it gets down range quickly with a fair amount of fade but I didn't have much wind yesterday so I can't say how much heady it can take. Thrown flatish I got some tight s-curves for good D. On a little higher line with a touch of anny its stable almost to the ground but I burned it over a few times trying to figure it out and turned it way over when trying too hard. I only flicked it a couple of times in the woods so I didn't get a great impression of how it will fly but it seems to have enough HSS for me and was stable straight until it hit a tree. I really like the higher shoulder of the archon vs. my pro wraith as I have better grip with my thumb on my sidearm... promising if for no other reason than that. I still need more field work and the big test of high long anny, beat pro wraith's bread an butter.

Extra tomatoes on my Gyro and please, no peppers.

ps I had some wind during my field work today and the archon didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I picked it up online and the seller called it 7/10 so even though it still looks okay its got less HSS and a lot less LSS compared to my beat 170 pro wraith. I mainly flick the wraith low and flat and was getting it 250-275' on a tight turnover s-line. The archon too often would continue that turnover without any fade ending well left of target. I powered up some backhands and again it was squirrelly compared to my wraith, some turn and burns and some well right into the headwind without a thought of fade. The archon's glide and distance wasn't a problem but the pro wraith is back in the bag for this weekend's tournament. I still like the higher shoulder so I might try a champ version but I'm thinking it probably wouldn't have the glide my pro wraith has. Wanna good flick for distance disc, try a King and throw it low and flat.

Tsatiziki sauce or whatever the fuck you call that shit is disgusting. I ordered a Gyro the other day from this greek place cause of all the hype you guys talked up in this thread and it looked like the hairy greek dude that made my Gyro shot a load into it and spread it around...

ps I got 2nd in my division yesterday and used the Archon for a turnover flick line for birdie... something my beat pro wraith would have to be annied with a very small margin of error at my skill level.

the more i throw archons the more i realize that the champs are 1000 times better than the stars, the only star i like is my proto and that's only because it has a masterful flex shot ability

Shit. I just got a 169g star and its like a damn FL. Fuck this disc. Luckily I'm waiting to get a gyro. No joke

IMG_20111112_171256.jpg

Latest posts