• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Course Ever

I saw a lot of mention of Richmond Hill. I played there 30 times this Summer and The Sarge in Hardeeville SC is more difficult for sure. The Golds there are as tough as it gets from what I have seen; Water on 14 holes. Lots of forced carries over water with more then one being over 100 yards. OB on both sides on many holes ... water, water, everywhere. Every shot is technical - highly wooded. Par is about 1000 rated.

The Sarge is brutal - even from the blues it's not much fun. Every bad throw goes into the water, and with the gators and snakes and pitch black swamp water... you're not getting 'em back. I would much rather play WR Jackson.

It's super cool...until around hole 5. Then it just feels hard.

And you have already lost 1/2 of your discs lol. It is the only course we gave up on hole like 14 bc we knew we were somewhat close to being able to escape the hell of nature. White Cedar kicks my ass too. I love those kinds of courses that give a nice whooping.

I'd like to see what Harmony Bends in Columbia measures out to in the Gold layout. DGCR says SSA is 63 from the blue (which I think is too low, I think a 65 or so would be SSA) and the gold pins are in some very tricky and potentially punishing spots.

I'm curious about this too. A 65 was 995, and 63 1009 per the PDGA results for the 2016 Mid America Open. They played the blues round 1. George Smith shot a 59 and it was a 1037.

Seems like SSA would be a 64 and that seems about right. I played it 1x and it was from the longs but straight out of the car. It's a course that requires strategy/practice to score well on. Houck is a genius.

I'd like to see what Harmony Bends in Columbia measures out to in the Gold layout. DGCR says SSA is 63 from the blue (which I think is too low, I think a 65 or so would be SSA) and the gold pins are in some very tricky and potentially punishing spots.
You may consider changing the DGCR course info to heavily wooded instead of moderate and see if the estimated DCGR SSA matches better the actual SSA.

I need to get over there and play that course. A friend who is a solid open player said low 60's is a very good round.

I've heard Nevin Park being a response here but the first one that came to mind for me was Angry Beaver at Elon Park. I just remember it feeling like the majority of my shots were recovery play trying to throw overhands, knife hyzers, and rollers out of thick woods!

The hardest good courses (I.E. courses that are hard, but fair) I have played are Nockamixon, WR Jackson, and Ozark Mountain. I see a lot of people mentioning Nevin, which surprises me. It's really not a very difficult course if you're willing to throw putters and midranges off the tees. It's very fair and has a lot of birdie holes in both layouts. Another great difficult course (and my favorite in Charlotte) was the Charlotte's Web layout at Hornet's Nest park. Unfortunately, it's not open right now and I don't know if it will be quite the same when it reopens this spring.

I'm curious about this too. A 65 was 995, and 63 1009 per the PDGA results for the 2016 Mid America Open. They played the blues round 1. George Smith shot a 59 and it was a 1037..

He also shot 59 in doubles the day before and that won open. 58 was the best doubles score even. 59 by yourself is insane. There just isn't enough tournament info right now, if there was I figure his 59 would have been a 1065ish. It's a -9 on a championship level course, I just don't think you'll see many scores in the 50s there at all. There just aren't a lot of holes that are easy birdies.

I didn't find WR Jackson difficult, I probably played my best round of golf ever there.

I even think Steady Ed is harder than Jackson. Jackson is epic in distance, but the fairways are huge and beyond fair. Steady Ed has MUCH tighter gaps, plus all that lake in play for a 4 or 5 hole stretch.

The Crucible is pretty hard. Par 69, SSE 67.7

Very enjoyable golf, but the shule is stupid rough since it's temp.

The last time it was playable in 2014, the tourney was quite windy the first day and 7 of 78 players finished under par. 7 players rated 990+ finished above par.

I shot +29 and averaged 945 golf over 3 rounds.

Flyboy is the most difficult I have played so far.

Idlewild was #1 on my list for a couple of years, but got knocked down to #2 when I closed out 2016 with a round at Flyboy. FWIW, The Black Course in West Virgina is #3.

Having only mostly played courses in Texas, the middle concho course in San Angelo was the biggest beat down yet. If you don't lose a disc then you were playing extremely safe on 4-5 holes. I guess the course isn't that hard, it's just the river that sucks so bad. I think hole 11 is a peninsula where the basket sits on a 10' piece of land with water on the left and ob on the right.

Gateway used to be harder before they cleaned it up. I think the fear that you might walk up on some homosexual meet up increases the danger factor as well. Last time we played two dudes in a van stopped on the road next to us, threw open the sliding door, and asked if we would like to join. Haven't gone back.

The other course that beat me down was the beast in Waco. I walked away wanting to sell my discs because I had become a failure.

Again, these are just from courses I've played.

Having only mostly played courses in Texas, the middle concho course in San Angelo was the biggest beat down yet. If you don't lose a disc then you were playing extremely safe on 4-5 holes. I guess the course isn't that hard, it's just the river that sucks so bad. I think hole 11 is a peninsula where the basket sits on a 10' piece of land with water on the left and ob on the right.

Gateway used to be harder before they cleaned it up. I think the fear that you might walk up on some homosexual meet up increases the danger factor as well. Last time we played two dudes in a van stopped on the road next to us, threw open the sliding door, and asked if we would like to join. Haven't gone back.

The other course that beat me down was the beast in Waco. I walked away wanting to sell my discs because I had become a failure.

Again, these are just from courses I've played.

Hah, I lived in San Angelo for 9 years, right by that course. Pretty sure your talking about South Concho. Middle Concho is a course as well but it's up by the lake. South Concho is way hard...in fact, when it first went in, players were all mad because the guy who designed it owned a used disc store in town, and everyone was convinced he designed that course to drive up demand for discs lol. I like courses that are hard but fair, and south Concho borders on unfair. Especially that hole you mentioned...11...that hole is ridiculous. Any putt, upshot, anything that isn't in the basket has a good chance of rolling into the river.

Here in Austin, the two hardest courses that I've played are brushy creek sports park, a 9 holer that is rarely ever played because it's so difficult, and old settlers park, which has been redesigned and is just awesome

Latest posts