• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Course Ever

bikinjack

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I plated Nevin Park, one of the two new courses in Charlotte, today, and it was tough, which got me to thinking, what's the hardest course you've ever played?

Nevin is a brand new course, and it's tight, wooded, and long. It was fun, and punishing. After one hole, my buddy asked what did I take on the hole, and I said, "I lost count." It was that tough. It was fun. I can't wait to go back once it gets worn in a little.

So, what's the toughest course you've ever played?

I think the only things Nevin lacks for difficulty would be insane elevation changes, and long carries over water.

I have 3 that I cant pick from:
Milo McIver (Estacada Or) - I shot +22 on 27 holes. Huge holes.
Richmond Hill (Asheville, NC) - in the longs... it's tough to shoot under on the longs. Lots of trees.
Winthrop Gold (with the ropes up) (Rock Hill, SC) - USDGC layout. Tons of OB.
DSCJNKY

Oh for reference Ozark is 10,000ft heavily wooded and a Pro par 72. I'd assume 1000 rated round is about 67-68 maybe more.

I have 3 that I cant pick from:
Milo McIver (Estacada Or) - I shot +22 on 27 holes. Huge holes.
Richmond Hill (Asheville, NC) - in the longs... it's tough to shoot under on the longs. Lots of trees.
Winthrop Gold (with the ropes up) (Rock Hill, SC) - USDGC layout. Tons of OB.
DSCJNKY

Rock Hill is easy its just the atmosphere that makes it tough. Shot in the 50's my 1st round.

Heard good things about Milo though

Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee is absolutely the hardest course I've played. It's just plain brutal. A nice course however, but it will beat you down!!!

I'd have to agree with you on that one. Definitely can take you down a notch when you think you're getting your game together, and it's great if you have some new discs you want to beat in on some trees. I love it though.

Idlewild and Richmond Hill are probably the hardest I've played, in very different ways.

Shows a 1000 rated round as 52-53 according to AM Worlds in 07'.

Lots of courses where that same rating is above 60

Yeah Brown Deer is tough (probably the toughest in S. E. WI, but it isn't that tough, especially for the best pros, they could eat the course up.

Ozark Mountain

Ok thread's over

Played Ozark a couple months ago and it is without a doubt the toughest course I've ever played. There isn't even a close second out of the courses I've played. So long, wooded and ridiculous elevation changes.

My first thought was Idlewild, as many have already said, and then I remembered Mt. Airy.

On paper, it looks like it would be a breeze. Far from it. When I go to Idlewild, I expect to finish 18 beaten down (after learning the course by watching the pros, I've come to find it's not nearly as bad as it seems). Mt. Airy kicks my butt and laughs in my face. Every time. It's a shame that it doesn't get the love that Idlewild and Banklick (Lincoln Ridge) get. It really is just as good, only much harder. Anyone that comes to the Cincinnati area and only plays Idlewild and Banklick missed half the fun.

It's hosted Worlds twice, and par's a 1000 rated round. Idlewild can't even claim that.

Last edited:
My first thought was Idlewild, as many have already said, and then I remembered Mt. Airy.

On paper, it looks like it would be a breeze. Far from it. When I go to Idlewild, I expect to finish 18 beaten down (after learning the course by watching the pros, I've come to find it's not nearly as bad as it seems). Mt. Airy kicks my butt and laughs in my face. Every time. It's a shame that it doesn't get the love that Idlewild and Banklick (Lincoln Ridge) get. It really is just as good, only much harder. Anyone that comes to the Cincinnati area and only plays Idlewild and Banklick missed half the fun.

Mt. Airy has the respect of many Pros though. Seen it on a few top courses lists.

Renny is tough but not as tough as it had been hyped to be. We played it in dubs but I'm pretty sure we would have been around 60-63 our 1st time in singles Played it after USDGC with Peckham as a guide.

Last edited:
I gotta say Renny Gold. Its like Brock Lesnar. It will straight beat you down.

Yeah Winny Gold is pretty tough too (OB lines).

For you WI guys, Brown Deer is the toughest course I have played on the northside of Chicago and all of WI so far. It is my favorite course in these parts......so this is not a slam, just reality: It is not tough by standards of other parts of the country. It would be right up there with the toughest though if you took all of the wide open holes and replaced them with great wooded holes like are on the rest of the course.

Latest posts