• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Course Ever

Ozark Mountain

Ok thread's over

Played Ozark a couple months ago and it is without a doubt the toughest course I've ever played. There isn't even a close second out of the courses I've played. So long, wooded and ridiculous elevation changes.
Ozark Mountain is off the charts. If more people had access to it and had played it, it would be the easy consensus answer. I'm pretty sure you won't find anyone who has actually played Ozark Mountain who does not think it's the hardest course they have played.

Mt. Airy has the respect of many Pros though. Seen it on a few top courses lists.

I have seen it on some pro's top lists. I guess I meant that it doesn't get a lot of love on here. It certainly doesn't have the "wow" factor of Idlewild, but I don't think it needs it. Have you thrown it?

I have seen it on some pro's top lists. I guess I meant that it doesn't get a lot of love on here. It certainly doesn't have the "wow" factor of Idlewild, but I don't think it needs it. Have you thrown it?

Nope but I will next time I am in the Midwest and that may be this summer if I can swing it.

I would have to say Pioneer Trail at Rodeo Park in Ft Madison, Iowa. Definitely the most grueling I've played, The longs are LONG, and when you are in the woods, you are throwing up and down STEEP long hills blind! ...or you are throwing along a winding creek bed. I do want to go back and play it again, but I was very frustrated by the time we left that course. There is actually a rope tied to a tree to help you climb the hill! In hindsight, It was a cool course. It just needs some improvements to make it a Great Course. Starting with better Maps at the Teebox!

I would have to say Pioneer Trail at Rodeo Park in Ft Madison, Iowa. Definitely the most grueling I've played, The longs are LONG, and when you are in the woods, you are throwing up and down STEEP long hills blind! ...or you are throwing along a winding creek bed. I do want to go back and play it again, but I was very frustrated by the time we left that course. There is actually a rope tied to a tree to help you climb the hill! In hindsight, It was a cool course. It just needs some improvements to make it a Great Course. Starting with better Maps at the Teebox!

That course is 1/2 the distance of Ozark from the shorts.

I'm sure the longs are longer but not more than 7000ft which is still 3k short

Nope but I will next time I am in the Midwest and that may be this summer if I can swing it.

It's gotten some much needed TLC over the last year or two and looks better than I've ever seen it. You won't be disappointed.

That course is 1/2 the distance of Ozark from the shorts.

I'm sure the longs are longer but not more than 7000ft which is still 3k short

7000ft?? You mean 700ft? I wouldn't know what the distance is on the Long holes, they don't have them posted. I know the pics don't do the holes justice. I've emailed the guy, and I haven't heard anything back from him. It's a course that's got major potential, but it is in dire need of some TLC. I'd definitely recommend it though. I want to Check out this Ozark one of which you speak. Ozark, Mo?

7000ft?? You mean 700ft? I wouldn't know what the distance is on the Long holes, they don't have them posted. I know the pics don't do the holes justice. I've emailed the guy, and I haven't heard anything back from him. It's a course that's got major potential, but it is in dire need of some TLC. I'd definitely recommend it though. I want to Check out this Ozark one of which you speak. Ozark, Mo?

Meaning the course from the longs isn't over 7000ft which is more than the shorts which are listed at 4900.

Ozark is 10,000ft with just as much woods and elevation.

Meaning the course from the longs isn't over 7000ft which is more than the shorts which are listed at 4900.

Ozark is 10,000ft with just as much woods and elevation.

Oh, I see what you were sayin! Excuse me, it's late!:doh:
Where is Ozark, can you pop me a link?

Scoot_er is talking overall distance, not per hole.......

and at 10,000 feet, that's an average of 555 per hole (if it's an 18 hole course)

EDIT: hole info says 9349 feet, but that's still *ONLY* 519 per hole...

Last edited:
It's the Whipping Post at Paw Paw WV for me. Hawk Hollow was prettly beastly. Iron Hill in Delaware sounds pretty tough and is at the head of my "to play" list. Ozark Mountain sounds obscene.

bleh, not as quick as you two.

anywho, the hardest out of the 19 i've done is Unger Park in Fenton, MO, though that sounds like chickenshat compared to Ozark Mtn.

but here's a link anyway....

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3132

Fenton is cool and I played it right after Dave put it in. Nikko, Bunnel, and Devan were there too and had a good time. Offered plenty of challenges but I'm sure we still had some in the 50's but I don't remember to well.

Love those Titan baskets.

Scoot_er is talking overall distance, not per hole.......

and at 10,000 feet, that's an average of 555 per hole (if it's an 18 hole course)

EDIT: hole info says 9349 feet, but that's still *ONLY* 519 per hole...

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. I'm suffering from "I'm tired and it made perfect sense when I said it!" :doh::)

Pioneer Trail DGC in Ft Madison Iowa

Kaposia Park longs

both of those in summer when everything is grown in... holy plinko.

Sorry but Ozarks looks like it's really open, and a lot of holes that are just distance for the sake of distance. If you want long, go to IHCC, says right in the description:
Varied terrain, each hole nicknamed for some unique feature. Beautiful campus with manicured fairways and flowers on most holes. 32 tee pads with alt. pin placements on every hole. Long tees play 7,9,2. Longest layout almost 10,000 ft.

oh, and Memorial Park about a mile away is longer than IHCC by hole length alone. Try to do both in one day and you are worn out.

Last edited:
I've added Ozark to my wish list, My next trip home to Iowa, I'm making a slight Detour! I want to check this bad boy out!

Pioneer Trail DGC in Ft Madison Iowa

Kaposia Park longs

both of those in summer when everything is grown in... holy plinko.

Sorry but Ozarks looks like it's really open, and a lot of holes that are just distance for the sake of distance. If you want long, go to IHCC, says right in the description:

oh, and Memorial Park about a mile away is longer than IHCC by hole length alone. Try to do both in one day and you are worn out.

I promise it is anything but wide open and much harder than Kaposia in ANY pin.

Is the Independence trail the one that Sprague recently designed?

I promise it is anything but wide open and much harder than Kaposia in ANY pin.

Is the Independence trail the one that Sprague recently designed?

I was going by states I've played most in. Pioneer was much harder than Kaposia.

Latest posts