• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest hole you have played

(A little self promotion / self pity here)

Disc Side of Heaven Championship Course #18 Par 5: 999' from the Gold Tees. 930' from Blue and 880' from White. I designed the hole, I know every nuance on the hole, I know how to attack the hole... the best score I have ever recorded on it is a Bogey 6. Very challenging / demanding hole to finish a very demanding round. (What the heck was I thinking?!?)

I have to agree with Idlewild #13 when it is in the long basket, I have taken a lot of high scores on that hole. Tight drive through two trees 150 feet that are about 6 feet apart, playing a hyzer flip (RHBH) then 400 feet of tunnel going to the right with a creek that is OB running around the basket. I'm really happy to make a 5 most of the time (Par 4) :wall::wall:

#17 long tee at Nevin was brutal when I played it a couple of years ago. #8 on WR Jackson and #15 on Warner are very hard at the IDGC for me as well. #11 at Grand Central Station is also difficult for me due to the narrow fairway. One of the underrated hard holes I have played is #5 at Timmons Park in Greenville, SC. I have taken more bogeys than pars and never deuced it.

I would say Rogers Lakewood hole 13 in the long (c) position. Uphill, low ceiling, fairway maybe 20 ft wide. Jail to the right, unforgiving thorn bushes on the left. Plus the pin is on the crest of a ridge where a putt long or right has u rolling away down hill . 2 would be nuts. 3 is great. 4 is average. 5 is common place.

#17 long tee at Nevin was brutal when I played it a couple of years ago. #8 on WR Jackson and #15 on Warner are very hard at the IDGC for me as well. #11 at Grand Central Station is also difficult for me due to the narrow fairway. One of the underrated hard holes I have played is #5 at Timmons Park in Greenville, SC. I have taken more bogeys than pars and never deuced it.

#8 at WR Jackson is one of those holes that, by the time I get to the green, so much has happened that I can hardly remember the tee.

I'm not sure what definition of "hardest" to use. Hardest to par, or score what I think I should be able to? Most grueling? Near-impossible for me to play? Most likely to blow up?

As my distance has diminished, Hampton Park #17 has really whipped me. No matter how I play it, I misplay it.

I'm thinking one of the hardest holes, at least temporarily, was one of several OB holes at TX States in R3. I mean on one hole you might have to take a stance jammed between a car and OB. ;)

By far, Horning's Hideout Meadow Ridge Hole 16. 930ft hole with slight elevation change followed by a mando before you can hook down and back towards the basket. Insane par 5.

Attachments

• tmp_IMG_20140404245561474221893.jpg
    tmp_IMG_20140404245561474221893.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 50
I'll agree with the two holes on Winthrop Gold mentioned upthread, along with #4 at Renny Gold. I'll also throw out hole 12 long at Nevin. I don't think I've ever come all that close to getting a 5 on it. Usually, the second and third shots get me.

Lindrith, New Mexico on the Galloway Brothers' course. I don't remember the hole number, but it's the first one after climbing out of the canyon (maybe #14?). Very long, and when the wind is kicking it's almost impossible to find a suitable landing area to set up your second shot. Without wind and tourney pressure it's a tough one, then throw in competition conditions and it will test your mental fortitude. It'll make you want to chew rocks and spit out bad words.

West lake park in davenport ia, hole 19 or something like that.

Hole 18 is the par 5 dog leg, hole 19 is the par 3 long water carry to a narrow landing strip, and hole 20 is the steep uphill 15-foot-wide tunnel par 4. Any one of those could be a candidate for this thread!

Could start another thread on what's the toughest consecutive 3-hole stretch.

Come to think of it, 17-21 at West Lake might have the most diverse set of challenges you would ever find in a 5-hole sequence.

That would have to be the super narrow par 5 on the backside at La Mirada. It's about 25-30' wide with a gentle slope to the left. There's a parking lot on one side and a small side street on the other. It's this wide for about 600' of the 1000ish foot total. Complete pain in the ass.

I'll agree with renny gold 4 and 13 as well as Castle Hayne 3(if you're trying to 2 it).

888 at winthrop has bitten me way to many times as well. Seems like I remember a hole or 2 at hawk hollow but it's been a long time since I played there.

An underrated one is hole 6 stout(no one plays short) at Reedy Creek in Charlotte. The course is overall pretty simple but that hole bites a lot of people.

The hardest hole at Idle is 6, only a few have gotten 3s here. I have seen ams score 3s on the rest of the holes mentioned from Idle. Not saying there not hard but 6 is the grand daddy of then all. Matter of fact i have seen dueces on a couple of the ones named on here. 5 and 11

The hardest hole at Idle is 6, only a few have gotten 3s here. I have seen ams score 3s on the rest of the holes mentioned from Idle. Not saying there not hard but 6 is the grand daddy of then all. Matter of fact i have seen dueces on a couple of the ones named on here. 5 and 11

I thought of mentioning this hole. it is hard. i have 4'd it. but that is my best. it is a difficult hole.

The only par 6 I've ever heard of. The hole info isn't up to date on this site, but I think it's hole 12 at Lucky 8 in Lavalette, WV. The long tee is over 600 feet (maybe close to 700) and the hole plays in the shape of a giant number 7. You start at the bottom of the 7 in an incredibly tight section. That goes about 350-375 to the bend where there's a mando to go around. Then you have around a 300 foot slightly uphill section which has a double mando halfway up. It goes slightly downhill with a fast green and some trees surrounding the basket. Keep in mind this is all heavily wooded and absolutely treacherous if you wander off the fairway.

Johnny Sias (course designer) told me someone gave him crap about making a par 6. So, he told them if they get a 4, he'll change it to a par 5. I'm pretty sure it's still a par 6. By the way, I got an 8 on that hole, and was fairly happy with how I played it.