• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Prodigy Peaked?

Buhr has had one good season. It was an impressive debut. But, the sports world is filled with failed prospects and one season wonders. I don't see why any of the major manufacturers would offer him a rich contract with guaranteed money. Innova, Discraft and Latitude 64 don't need Buhr. He's an impressive young talent, but nothing more. The contracts given McBeth and Wysocki are not the new norm. Those two set a very high performance standard before they received those contracts.

The contracts given McBeth and Wysocki are not the new norm. Those two set a very high performance standard before they received those contracts.

Not to be *that guy*.....but explain the contract given to Kona then. Gannons worth at least as much as she is, right?

Not to be *that guy*.....but explain the contract given to Kona then. Gannons worth at least as much as she is, right?

Actually, I feel that the Kona contract makes my point. It was a mistake. DD grossly overpaid for potential. These rich contracts for players are still very new, and I don't think the companies yet have the data to prove their worth. This is not a sport where you have dozens of rich clubs competing for talent. Disc golf has, at most, a handful of manufacturers who can even consider offering big guaranteed contracts.

Actually, I feel that the Kona contract makes my point. It was a mistake. DD grossly overpaid for potential. These rich contracts for players are still very new, and I don't think the companies yet have the data to prove their worth. This is not a sport where you have dozens of rich clubs competing for talent. Disc golf has, at most, a handful of manufacturers who can even consider offering big guaranteed contracts.

True. But it also shows that you don't need a high performance history, a la McBeth, to get a big $$ deal. Manufacturers are paying for potential. Of which Gannon has almost limitless.

True. But it also shows that you don't need a high performance history, a la McBeth, to get a big $$ deal. Manufacturers are paying for potential. Of which Gannon has almost limitless.

Well, one manufacturer has overpaid for potential. That doesn't mean that others are lining up like lemmings to do so, but someone may very well take the gamble. A performance oriented contract with limited guarantees makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:
There are three players who I feel can move discs and thereby justify a big contract. In order...

McBeth
Lizotte
McMahon

Everyone else is way down the list.

Will Buhr move a lot of overpriced plastic to whoever ends up signing him?..I doubt it. It's not like the kid has a ton of charisma. My advise to him would be, get a better lawyer. My advise to Prodigy would be, sell out to the Paju family and let people who know what the hell they are doing take over.

There are three players who I feel can move discs and thereby justify a big contract. In order...

McBeth
Lizotte
McMahon

Everyone else is way down the list.

Will Buhr move a lot of overpriced plastic to whoever ends up signing him?..I doubt it. It's not like the kid has a ton of charisma. My advise to him would be, get a better lawyer. My advise to Prodigy would be, sell out to the Paju family and let people who know what the hell they are doing take over.

I dont know if people just havent tried the new 400 and 500 plastic or what... but they fixed the flashing issues. The plastic feels great, 400 has so much grip. People should give them a chance, it seems like they turned things around.

I dont know if people just havent tried the new 400 and 500 plastic or what... but they fixed the flashing issues. The plastic feels great, 400 has so much grip. People should give them a chance, it seems like they turned things around.

I don't have an issue with their product-I think the whole flashing thing is mostly a red herring. I have quite a few discs in 350G and 400, and like them. The 350G plastic has held up remarkably well for that type of material. It's their marketing and management that I think need a reboot.

I think Gannon could get a huge contract somewhere....the youth learning about and starting to play would probably look to copy him instead of the "older" guys. And that is probably what brands are thinking about when they offer him a contract....not so much about how 'great of a player' he is.....but, how he will attract the new, young players to their brand.

Think about Simon, what makes him as valuable, or more-so, than Paul McBeth? Well, it's not his wins. It's his social media standing/followers, it's the people who watch him throw the 'Simon Lines', it's the "eyes" on him and what he does that MVP is paying for.

I think Kona and Gannon are in the "same boat"....young players who SHOULD be attracting the youth that are starting to play. But the manufacturers are missing the point....yes, they are young and closer to the age of new players, but they don't have the 'game' and they don't have the social media followers that would really make them valuable.

Buhr has had one good season. It was an impressive debut. But, the sports world is filled with failed prospects and one season wonders. I don't see why any of the major manufacturers would offer him a rich contract with guaranteed money. Innova, Discraft and Latitude 64 don't need Buhr. He's an impressive young talent, but nothing more. The contracts given McBeth and Wysocki are not the new norm. Those two set a very high performance standard before they received those contracts.

If you get a chance, check out some of Buhr's junior matches.

It's not one good season. People have been tracking this kid for a long time because what he does is really different than his peers.

Ya, there are probably other undiscovered young talents, but this dude separated himself from his competition and stood out. There just arent going to be many players like that.

Gannon would really benefit from touring with a seasoned vet who can help him establish a healthy routine that will keep him strong and playing for a long time. AJ WRU?

Gannon would really benefit from touring with a seasoned vet who can help him establish a healthy routine that will keep him strong and playing for a long time. AJ WRU?

I think this needs to be given more weight when considering young players on the road. Guys like the original Winnie Crew, Feldberg, Doss, and even back to Stokely days would bring young players on the road and teach them 'the ropes'.

Simon would likely have still been great, but would he have handled his greatness as well without a year on the road with Avery?

I am actually shocked they are still in business. I tried a few molds and disliked each even though I always carry a few different companies. The one guy in our area who played a Prodigy bag just dropped them. I see so few of their discs in play.

I think this needs to be given more weight when considering young players on the road. Guys like the original Winnie Crew, Feldberg, Doss, and even back to Stokely days would bring young players on the road and teach them 'the ropes'.

Simon would likely have still been great, but would he have handled his greatness as well without a year on the road with Avery?

Agreed. Nate Sexton is another that comes to mind, he's a cerebral player, but I don't think he ever gets to where he's at now without that time touring on Paul's RV.

And while certainly not a top-tier player, does anyone think Eric Oakley would've eclipsed 1000 rated without his touring with Eagle? In 2016, a 966 rated Oakley won the Ft Steilacoom Open averaging over 1024 for 3 rounds.

Interesting to think about who exceeded or came up short on their potential and how their traveling situation impacted that.

That's what I thought was going to happen where Gannon Babcock I mean Gavin Buhr, I mean Gavin Babcock having NO issues leaving Prodigy and signing on with DM. It seemed like the two would be a wind up on DM as a package deal and tour together.

I am actually shocked they are still in business. I tried a few molds and disliked each even though I always carry a few different companies. The one guy in our area who played a Prodigy bag just dropped them. I see so few of their discs in play.

I am also, but they have some die-hards supporting them (or so I understand). I was at a tourney where Prodigy sponsored it and we got Prodigy discs in the Player's Pack. I don't like them and they just sit on my shelf. They didn't sell well at my local disc store so they stopped carrying them for a while - but have them back in stock. There are a couple of locals that throw nothing but Prodigy (I think they are sponsored in some fashion).

You better hope the Prodigy CEO isn't reading this thread right now.

He's gonna use this as motivation to make Prodigy the #1 disc company within the next 2-3 year and then we'll see whose laughing.

Former Junior level phenom Gannon Buhr, a two-time Junior World Champion, who won the 2021 PDGA Rookie of the Year achieving a rising 1027 rating and finishing 2021 by shooting above that at the GMC, KCWO, USDGC, and DGPT Championship (1038 avg) and then rampaged through 2022 lifting his rating into the 1040s while winning his first Major Championship has had more than just "one good season."

Last edited:
You better hope the Prodigy CEO isn't reading this thread right now.

He's gonna use this as motivation to make Prodigy the #1 disc company within the next 2-3 year and then we'll see whose laughing.

#1 in what? They've already got #1 in terms of "number of sponsored players bailing at the first opportunity," and "cringe-worthy PR" sewed up, and I suppose they could take a run at supplanting Salient as "most despised" and "biggest laughingstock." Not sure they can pull they off, but it'd sure be entertaining watching them come up with new ways to crap all over themselves trying, though. :popcorn:

Last edited:

They're big in Europe, otherwise they probably wouldn't still be in business.

Latest posts