• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have "thumber" Aces ever happened?

I've got one on hole 7 of Stoney hill in the now retired battle of stony hill tournament...if it was up to david and chris they would ban thumbers on their course but the trees just need to catch up!

It was a blind ace...and because of the Sudo temp baskets it sounded like someone hit a kick drum! Gosh I love Stoney hill!!!

I hit one with a thumber in 1998 at George Wilson Park (Mishawaka, IN) with a Banshee on Hole #5 where you tee uphill and the basket is opposite you down the other side of the hill. I wasn't sure if the chains I heard were mine or somebody else's.

Ha!

Before they changed that hole recently that's all I'd ever throw on that hole. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else throw a thumber there besides me.

Ha!

Before they changed that hole recently that's all I'd ever throw on that hole. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else throw a thumber there besides me.

I haven't been there in several years, didn't know they changed it. I remember the original hole facing the opposite direction where that little building came into play. I had a Roc land on its roof, circa 1991 or so.

I feel that OHs off the tee are bad for the game and the health of players. The only thing worse is when someone is in a wide open shot and decides to OH bc they don't have the ability to put a mid on the basket from 150'.

Would you care to back up how Thumbers and Tommys are "bad for the game"? I would have never played if it was illegal to throw thumbers. They offered a more natural way to throw for me when I was learning, and they'd probably still be a large part of my game if I hadn't injured my shoulder. The injury had nothing to do with disc golf BTW, and I was rarely sore when I threw nothing but sidearm and thumber shots. It usually took 54+ holes before I even noticed any residual soreness.

As far as how players throw their approach, what do you care? From 150' I might throw anything from an OS driver to a neutral putter depending on the shot I need. Often I DO throw a thumber Teebird from 100-200' because I can get the disc to hit, filp and stop right under the basket.

In my experience people who say things like "thumbers are bad for the game" or "rollers should be illegal" usually just aren't very good at throwing the shot in question.

Last edited:
I have one but it's tree assisted. I hit a branch and it fell straight vertically into the basket. I dunno the odds of that but they have to be astronomical. :eek:

Actually #7 at Messiah Village is most easily aced that way. It is located behind one tree and under another so crashing down through the branches means you usually at least hit iron.

My first was a thumber. Of course, it was on a sub 200' hole, and I was using a Banshee, but it still counts, dammit!

I have one but it's tree assisted. I hit a branch and it fell straight vertically into the basket. I dunno the odds of that but they have to be astronomical. :eek:
BroD: DG Trickshot Artist

I seem to remember a similar ace, but a BLACK ace (wrong basket!) at (I think) an MDGO tournament at Brewer Park (Grand Rapids) maybe 1998 or so? It was freakin' hilarious!

... I feel that OHs off the tee are bad for the game and the health of players. The only thing worse is when someone is in a wide open shot and decides to OH bc they don't have the ability to put a mid on the basket from 150'.

Would you care to back up how Thumbers and Tommys are "bad for the game"? I would have never played if it was illegal to throw thumbers. They offered a more natural way to throw for me when I was learning, and they'd probably still be a large part of my game if I hadn't injured my shoulder. The injury had nothing to do with disc golf BTW, and I was rarely sore when I threw nothing but sidearm and thumber shots. It usually took 54+ holes before I even noticed any residual soreness.

As far as how players throw their approach, what do you care? From 150' I might throw anything from an OS driver to a neutral putter depending on the shot I need. Often I DO throw a thumber Teebird from 100-200' because I can get the disc to hit, filp and stop right under the basket.

In my experience people who say things like "thumbers are bad for the game" or "rollers should be illegal" usually just aren't very good at throwing the shot in question.

I think I'm on Puckstopper's side, in that part of what makes disc golf so great (and different from ball golf...sorry folks) is the awesome variety of lines. Personally, I'll throw 150-200' thumber/tommy approaches when there's stuff in the way or when I need the final approach to the basket to have that tomahawk or thumber slicing finish. They're both great shots, and many folks forget how multi-dimensional they are. Low skip overhands, or low-ish overhands that slice through wooded courses, require lots of skill and probably make other golfers mad simply because they work for lines that aren't possible with a traditional roller, backhand, or forehand.

That said, I actually prefer courses that don't give that "I'm thumbing my nose at the designer" (pun not originally intended) by going over the top and ignoring the obstacles that are supposed to require strategy and skillful execution. I actively take this into consideration when rating a course, as a course with opportunities for over-the-top spike hyzers or overhands on every hole is inferior, in my opinion, to one with reasonable lines THROUGH the trees and without too many options to ignore precision. One thing I also find cool is when designers leave a couple challenging overhand lines on some holes, but they bring in a risk-reward factor since they're difficult to hit. Branson Trails - Blue is one of my 2 5 disc courses, and this was a big plus in my mind. I used only one overhand off the tee, but it was one of those low lines and a slightly uphill placement shot. Hole 17, iirc.

My only one is also my favorite/most amazing ace - Timmons hole 17, severe downhill thru a tunnel so a perfect tight thumber throw that doesn't move much side-to-side, I use a Firebird most times.

So we are playing a 3 team doubles Ript match and when I step to the tee a buddy says "Hey I'm supposed to bug you" and walks to me holding a card out. I stop, look down at the card and say "You're supposed to show me the card after I throw".

He takes it back, looks at it closely and as he does I chuck the Firebird OH before he can interrupt me again. Perfect slow turn, no chains and drops directly into the left side of the bucket, just a ridiculous toss that I wasn't even really paying attention to.

my only thumber ace was on the day Michael Jackson died. It was at Morley field in San Diego hole 1 position A thumber skip, I threw the thumber low and straight where I knew it would hit the ground with the top of the disc and slide a bit before skipping up.

my only roller ace was in 2008 at Chavez Ridge in Los Angeles hole 16 aka the road hole short position. over anhyzered a innova champion spider to hit the ground and rolled up a bank next to the basket and jumped in. During a tourney I won.

Latest posts