• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hawaii courses?

Snaques

Eagle Member
So I'm going to Hawaii (Oahu) for friend's wedding in early December and I have roughly a week of free time as well. Obviously I figured it would be nice to check out some of the local courses while I'm there. :D

The problem is that based on DGCR reviews, most are pretty hard to navigate without a guide and the "best one" is in military camp. The fact that I'm Finnish makes me think that it is not so easy to get access. :\

So any recommendations where a Finn should go on Hawaii for DG?

I will probably visit at least one of the other islands as well, so if there is a must see location on one of the others, I'm interested as well.

I will be on maui thanksgiving through the 3rd.

as far as oahu, there are very few courses there that aren't private or restricted access. I would get in touch with david combs on facebook. He would be an excellent contact for all things oahu as I believe he lives on oahu.

I'll be on the big island mid December; if anyone knows of any courses aside from the hilo coffee mill I'd live to try and play them.

I'll second the statement that you'll need a guide to play Mackenzie. I was there a few years ago and met two guys that were playing their weekly mini. It is one of those courses where you "tee off from this rock, and play to that tree". Without a local guide there is no way to play it.

I have moved from Oahu and am back stateside now. There is the Honolulu Disc Golf Association (HDAG) that put on monthly tournaments and most of those guys play at Hila on Friday afternoons. The HDGA has a Facebook page to contact them with, its the easiest way to contact them. There is also Honolulu Joint Military Disc Golf Club that plays on the military base. They also have a Facebook page. If your looking to play on base then go to the Honolulu Joint Military Disc Golf Club page and get in touch with Randall Lazaraus, he sets up most of the play on base. Hopefully my info helps out.

I have moved from Oahu and am back stateside now. There is the Honolulu Disc Golf Association (HDAG) that put on monthly tournaments and most of those guys play at Hila on Friday afternoons. The HDGA has a Facebook page to contact them with, its the easiest way to contact them. There is also Honolulu Joint Military Disc Golf Club that plays on the military base. They also have a Facebook page. If your looking to play on base then go to the Honolulu Joint Military Disc Golf Club page and get in touch with Randall Lazaraus, he sets up most of the play on base. Hopefully my info helps out.
Thanks a lot, this sure does help. :thmbup:

When I browsed through the course reviews on here, most were so old that I just couldn't trust them.

I'll just have to see if I can reach one of the guys there and see how the opportunities match with my schedule.

I'll be on the big island mid December; if anyone knows of any courses aside from the hilo coffee mill I'd live to try and play them.

Play the coffee mill with someone else for spotting purposes. We played there last month, the grass height was atrocious. Glad to get a state record but would probably rate the course a .5 design, maintenance...etc...crazy thing is that there are actually like 6 concrete teepads. A little mowing like they have to do around the coffee plants, they could actually rent discs and charge for use of the course.

Ok, so we ended up staying on Oahu for the whole trip so the options for DG were few and far between. Hila Ridge was out as we had other plans for Friday and the military bases were less than ideal since I'm a foreigner. As a result we ended up visiting the Turtle Bay Resort.

The course isn't the most challenging or best equipped, but it is a permanent one on the sea shore. I took few local buddies with me just to show them what DG is all about. For such get together the course was almost ideal. The holes are pretty straightforward, there are discs for rent and snack shop is just around the corner. Also the view on the shore is really nice and the winds will create some exciting situations. There is no traffic on the course so you can play through it in 30 minutes if you don't have much time.

On the cons side, there were few cars parked on the fairway of the hole 1, there was a circuit training lesson on the fairway of hole 10 and there were golf balls coming from the driving range at holes 1 and 2. Other than that it was really nice.

All in all, I can recommend the course unless you have access to military bases or are able to attend the Hila Ridge weeklies.

Hawaii Country Club - South
Hawaii Country Club - North

I was on Oahu last month and found these new gems. They were established in 2021 (mainly by the newer "Oahu Disc Golf" group) and used to be temporary, only available certain days and times. Today happens to be the closing day of a C-Tier, the 22nd Annual Hawaii State Championships.

Hope that helps someone else going to Hawaii, especially Oahu! It looks like disc golf is growing everywhere, including Hawaii!