• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hazards on the course

Midnightbiker said:
masterbeato said:
Hey man don't let those banana spiders bite you. The banana spider is more deadly than a black widow. Their venom is 10 times more potent then that of a black widow.

Very very deadly spiders, so seriously watch where you go!

You need to check you sources. They cause local pain and redness, but they will not kill you. Feels like a bee sting. Plus they will not bite inless you really piss them off. They are very easy to spot, so we stay out of their way. I have played that course over 60 times, and the worst thing to happen to me out there was getting attacked by yellow jackets.

BANANA SPIDER
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-banana-spider.htm

There are two different kinds of banana spiders, according to that page. midnightbiker is talking about the north american one, masterbeato is talking about the south/central american (deadly) one.

Victory33 said:
There is this course Brookside here in Indianapolis, beautiful park but it's pretty ghetto, some disc golfers actually found a dead body while looking for a disc recently. One hole is right by the basketball court, so if you hit one of them dudes it's curtains....I'd call that a hazard.

Every single time I've played there when I get to hole 9 a random Akita dog comes out of the woods and lurks. No tags, no collar, looks like it would bite my nuggets if it got the chance. It hasn't been aggressive to me, but I get nervous as hell when it comes around....random dogs are a little eerie.

I think the true hazard at Brookside is Pogues Run. The little "river" that runs through part of the course. This "river" is really sewage run off. Hence the smell and caution signs. If a disc goes in there it is done for as far as im concerned. No amound of sanatizer would make me a touch that disc again. I could deal with spiders and snakes and often do at Avon Town Hall or Northwest way. Or even bums and stray dogs at Washington. But screw throwing a disc near a poo creek.

Midnightbiker said:
Here is a pic of the spider I almost walked into:
I'm not doubting what you say, but does anyone else think that pic looks odd? That spider looks like it's lacking any depth, or volume...it almost looks 2D to me...almost like it's dyed onto the disc, or it's a sticker or something.

I know it's probably just the angle the pic was taken at, but I'm just saying.

sleepy

sleepy said:
Midnightbiker said:
I'm not doubting what you say, but does anyone else think that pic looks odd? That spider looks like it's lacking any depth, or volume...it almost looks 2D to me...almost like it's dyed onto the disc, or it's a sticker or something.

sleepy
agreed

sleepy said:
Midnightbiker said:

sleepy

The spider is actually sitting on its spider web and the disc is about 5 inches behind the spider. If you look closely under the spider you can see the web.

spider-1.jpg

masterbeato said:
Midnightbiker said:
masterbeato said:
Hey man don't let those banana spiders bite you. The banana spider is more deadly than a black widow. Their venom is 10 times more potent then that of a black widow.

Very very deadly spiders, so seriously watch where you go!

You need to check you sources. They cause local pain and redness, but they will not kill you. Feels like a bee sting. Plus they will not bite inless you really piss them off. They are very easy to spot, so we stay out of their way. I have played that course over 60 times, and the worst thing to happen to me out there was getting attacked by yellow jackets.

BANANA SPIDER
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-banana-spider.htm

The Banana Spider they are referring to is of the genus Phoneutria a highly toxic spider, however it's real name is the Brazilian Wandering Spider. A free roaming spider, makes no burrow or web.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

Midnightbiker is referring to the Banana Spider, genus Nephila. Which is a class of orb weavers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila

Yesterday on practice field I pick up my disc grabbing the disc rim like I'm going to throw it. Between the rim and my fingers is fresh bird dropping and when grabbing I also hit more of the same stuff on the ground. Nice. That sent me off to wash. Luckily I got in a good session before that.

metal said:
Im calling shenanigans on the spider

I will see you call, and next time I am out there I will take multiple pics of spiders and discs. Plus I guess I will have to submit and affidavit from my nephew ,because he is the one that took the pic.

I'm not going so far as to call shenanigans, just mentioning that the picture looked odd. I would, however, love to see more pics just for the sake of seeing more pics! :p

Oh, and am I correct in assuming that the spiderweb in that picture spans the gap between the two trees? If so, I'm never coming to Texas. Fu-huh-huh-huh-ug that noise! :shock: :p

sleepy

It's so funny to see the reaction to this spider pic by those who live up north. Even going so far as to call shenanigans LOL. I live in GA and I can vouch for this southern gentlemen. Down here we have 2 inch wasps (cicada killers), deadly snakes, millions of ticks and ants and more giant spiders than you would believe. This is not a fake picture. In fact, I believe that pic is of a Argiope which we have dozens of at one particular course several miles from my house. That is probably among the largest I've ever seen though.

http://www.rock.uwc.edu/facultypages/tklubert/images/Originals/CicadaKiller.jpg

Plenty of those in Florida. I don't know how many times I've walked in between two trees and felt the web stretch across my face. Then I look up and here it comes, hustling down to see what it caught!
After awhile you develop the habit of looking up as you walk through the trees. Then a Jesus Lizard runs past and you go W-T-F! :shock:

Mr.SmOOOth said:
Plenty of those in Florida. I don't know how many times I've walked in between two trees and felt the web stretch across my face. Then I look up and here it comes, hustling down to see what it caught!
After awhile you develop the habit of looking up as you walk through the trees. Then a Jesus Lizard runs past and you go W-T-F! :shock:

My nephew has a bad habit of looking down at the course. I have to keep reminding him to look ahead to avoid walking into the spiders.

If we are talking about hazards on the course, we can probably add smacking your hand on a tree to the list. Just did that today. I was doing one of those place your left foot (RHBH) behind you at your lie, turn your back to the target, and throw by twisting yourself around shots. Know what I'm talking about?

The tree was near my left foot and I didn't think my follow through would take me that far around.

Latest posts