• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headphones

Certainly you don't have to give your medical history, but telling your group you play with headphones isn't out of line.

Thanks all who provided relevant and constructive feedback on the question asked =)

Disc golf is one of my outlets that my social anxiety has been most manageable. It's likely one of the more positive things I have done to manage it despite being much more aware of it as a mid 30s adult than I used to be. I know everyone is different.

I admit I did not read through the discussion (as I did not care to hear the debate) so it may have already been suggested but I love my open ear (cochlear) headphones. If there is not a lot of ambient noise they sound ok (won't satify an audiophiles desire for range or volume), but both ears are open, they blend in with my glasses and half the time I forget they are on and I am not listening to anything.

These are exactly what I use. I have had ok results with a $45 pair I tried for a year to see how I liked the concept. The Shockz are better in all regards, especially comfort. I originally got them when I was in the field for work more and peripheral hearing was important for my safety.

Unless you are being asked more than once for your score or are unresponsive when people interact not many people seem to care much around here if you have a earbud or pair in. One easily distracted player I regularly have played with over the years I appreciate when he pops his second bud in to throw cause I am less concerned that quiet conversation in our casual setting wont bug him.

Ok, I got sucked in and read anyways.

I've been using Aftershokz (bone induction) since they came out for tournament rounds. (in causal I just use a wonderboom on a low volume)

The current crop of wireless ones are really light and don't slip around for me when I'm throwing hard and snapping my head. I've had more than a few people comment that they needed some after seeing me jamming out while sitting waiting for a hole to clear up. I've always been able the hear my surroundings since I keep the volume low on the Aftershokz. If I turn it up to max it's like jamming portable speaker in my face.

I also liked them for cycling. But it was basically the same scenario, volume low and it's like a background track in my head. Sometimes the wind would blow in my ears louder than the music.

I personally listen infrequently while playing and it is definitely back round track to zone in and out too occasionally.

And now to take my part in further derailing the thread since this is DGCR afterall.

^^^This. :thmbup: Although, as someone mentioned above, I find they don't work well for cycling. On the 3rd hand, tuning out your surroundings while cycling is bad juju.

I will cycle with them. I have cycle commuted on and off for 15 years. A little music helps filter out the things that actually distract my mind. I can definitely be more distracted by my car stereo where I am in an environment that its much easier to go into autopilot than I can be while engaging thousands more parts of my brain while navigating traffic on a bicycle or motorcycle.

One airpod (or another earbud of your choice) should be perfect for you IMO.

Interestingly, the rules quoted above indicate that completely tuning out competitors is a courtesy violation. So the rules suggest that a certain amount of social is expected in disc golf.

not sure I agree with this whatsoever. interacting with your cardmates for scorekeeping tasks is not social but just a rules requirement. Being able to hear "fore!" is not social but a safety thing.

Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players, prevent the player from effectively interacting with their group during scorekeeping tasks, or provide a safety hazard for the player by not hearing "Fore!" calls from other players or warning blasts by the Tournament Director. Failure to interact fully with your playing group due to personal music players and other devices is considered a courtesy violation subject to courtesy violation rules and penalties.

So as it turns out, after playing 2 tournaments ago starting with one headphone (couldn't bring myself to wear both), I took them off and have not looked back. Having just one it was causing more problems then it helped and repeated exposure to the anxiety inducing stimuli, the anxiety has abated to almost nothing at this point. Got my first division win sans headphones this weekend.

So as it turns out, after playing 2 tournaments ago starting with one headphone (couldn't bring myself to wear both), I took them off and have not looked back. Having just one it was causing more problems then it helped and repeated exposure to the anxiety inducing stimuli, the anxiety has abated to almost nothing at this point. Got my first division win sans headphones this weekend.

Badass! Win-win-win!

congrats!!

out of curiosity, what problems was it causing?

I like listening to nature. The older I get the more I enjoy it.

That must be nice. My course is surrounded by streets and highways. All I get to hear without some music is - loud ass Harleys, vehicles with straight pipes, and diesel turbos whining. :wall:

That must be nice. My course is surrounded by streets and highways. All I get to hear without some music is - loud ass Harleys, vehicles with straight pipes, and diesel turbos whining. :wall:
Dude,that stinks. The first couple of holes at one of the courses I play at is like that,but after hole 4 you are deep in the woods.

I don't want to start an Apple/Android debate, but AirPods Pro with Transparency Mode turned on would work really well for this situation.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of music on the course but I do wear these at certain jobs where I need to be alert for safety concerns. In addition to noise cancelling they have a "stay-aware" mode that allows a certain degree of outside noise in. They're also water/dust resistant.

Latest posts