• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Heard the buzz now rocs.

sillybiz was right about this place

To the stability comparisons, in my personal experience, I've found that Buzzzes are far more forgiving to OAT than are Rocs. I have newer player buddies who throw 50'-100' shorter than I do, but torque over my stable/os Rocs every time they throw them. Buzzzes can be thrown sloppily, like a fairway driver, really. Rocs not so much.

Generally, I put little faith in the name/run/11x/10x/etc of Rocs. I've found that there are Rocs of every stamp and run that are well worth throwing; and others which are only worth throwing in the garbage. My preference is to keep a look out at all times for good Rocs, throw them all and sell the ones that I don't like. That's not a criticism of the mold, as I had to do the same thing with Buzzzes when I threw them. Everyone likes a different Roc, so you're going to have to try a few before you find your niche. I'm not a big arm, but I still prefer throwing max weight or close to it.

My personal favs:
Stable Mid-Range Driver Rocs: The Rocs that have that text under the graphic of the bird are the most consistently butter of all the runs/types I've thrown. They're all good, firm, grippy plastic that beats in slowly without chunking. They're not as expensive as hard 11x typically, and seem to have less tendency to chunk. Every color I've thrown are money. I also just like the way they feel in my hand compared to harder Rocs.

11x Firm/Hard Run A lot of guys throw these, which pops up the price. But brand new, they're super overstable. They can even handle my sloppy forehand when I have to throw an escape shot. But again, the demand makes the new ones tougher to find, and more expensive.

Ching Ching Rocs act differently than domier Rocs. They seem to fly with more penetration than glide compared to domier runs/versions. I keep one in the bag for hyzerflip-to-flat/straight duties. There are a lot of "flat-top" Rocs that are being sold (Dynamic Discs has them right now). But the best part about Ching Rocs isn't the flatness -- it's the plastic. Which has a similar feel to the Stable Mid-Range Rocs.

Used-bin-any-stamp-pick-it-up-and-wow-this-feels-really-nice Rocs Sometimes you just find a gem. I've found 12x and newer DX and the like that just feel great. And when they feel great, they usually fly great as well.

My personal hates:
Champ Rocs A lot of guys carry a champ roc for overstable duties, others talk about how they want one. In my experience, Champ Rocs fly like bricks. Yeah, they're overstable, but they don't fly like a Roc should. For that reason, and due to the silly cost, I steer clear of champ Rocs. I keep a new Roc in the bag for light headwinds and fading shots, but for true overstable duties, I'd rather throw a Gator or a Trident.

San Marino/Ontario Rocs Maybe it's mental, maybe it's that I've never thrown a SM or Ontario that was molded in good plastic, but I hate both. Ontarios fly like a new Z Comet to me. I like Comets, but that's not what I'm looking for in a Roc.

150g-170g Feel and fly like toys.

Long Time Roc-er, First time poster

I've been a fan of the Roc since I first started playing. I'm lucky enough to have had quite a few of the nice ones in my bag for some time...here's what I carry/am switching over to....

11x KC Pro mid to max weight
- until these get beat in, which takes a while, they fly well for shots that I need to go left with some significance (I'm not touching that word that starts with "S" after reading this whole thred)

2002 USDGC Roc
- I've been throwing it since the day I got it (when it was released) and I've loved it ever since. It flys nice and flat with a bit of hyzer at the finish, and holds up well through the woods.

DX 'Flattop' Roc
- It's an interesting story, borrowed this disc from someone my first night at a new league when I was just getting back into the game. I hit an ace with it that very night...anyway, it's a beat up D Roc. With a bit of finesse it holds a perfectly straight line with almost no fade, and if I give a little it will hold a long, slight ( type line with just a touch of fade at the end

CE Classic Roc
-Wonderful turnover approach disc that carries 250 easy or will line drive 300 with a tailwind for me. Before it got a bit too worn it was my #1, signature, one-disc-challenge disc.

That being said, I've just recently starting throwing a max weight, Star San Marino Roc and I'm finding that it flies a lot like my 2002 CE that's wonderfully worn in. We may have a future together. For now I'm still looking to replace the CE Classic Roc ...

Grab what feels right and go throw it. If you don't like it someone else will.

Latest posts