• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heavy putters

abelrod

well here is the deal i putt with a soft challenger 167-169 and its good for putt under 20 ft and anything past that is not as consistent so when i miss in a practice round i take out my 177 z buzzz and they go in. but i want to stay with the challenger as a putter. so I'm thinking of getting a max weight challenger. so any advice on putter weights

Well I just recently got and fell in love with a 172g Warlock. I had a 175g Avair and a 174g Juju and they all felt great. I haven't had a chance to putt with a lighter putter before but the mid 170's seam to work for me.

well here is the deal i putt with a soft challenger 167-169 and its good for putt under 20 ft and anything past that is not as consistent so when i miss in a practice round i take out my 177 z buzzz and they go in. but i want to stay with the challenger as a putter. so I'm thinking of getting a max weight challenger. so any advice on putter weights
What's inconsistant about it? It could be the stiffness of the putter and not the weight. Generally people find that lighter putters are better for longer putts because they hold their line a bit better and are easier to throw a bit farther. They also find that stiffer putters are better because it's much easier to get a consistant release than it is with a softer putter.

My advice is to use a 165-168g, stiff putter for putting, a 170-172g for approaches and a 175g for drives. The light putters carry better for putts, the mid weights carry better for shorter shots, but are still predictable and the heavier putters just drive better than their lighter counterparts.

If you can make every putt with the Buzz then putt with that. Who cares what disc it is as long as it goes in. I use a Classic Roc to putt for anything under about 30 and then I go to either a 20 year old Aero or an Aviar. If there's wind I use a nice stable Magnet.

Don't fall in love with something because of shape, color, name, description or manufacturer (unless they're paying you). If you putt well with a knife edged driver then putt with that. The only important thing is that it goes in the basket.

The only important thing is that it goes in the basket.
Wouldn't that depend on how often it goes in the basket, too? If a miss means two more putts a larger percent of the time then that could have an effect on how you score in the long run. Even if you putting percent is slightly better, your scores could be higher if a miss won't guarantee you a make for the next shot. If you can learn to putt with a disc that will always leave you a gimme when you miss then you'll be better off in the long run.

What's inconsistant about it? It could be the stiffness of the putter and not the weight. Generally people find that lighter putters are better for longer putts because they hold their line a bit better and are easier to throw a bit farther. They also find that stiffer putters are better because it's much easier to get a consistant release than it is with a softer putter.

My advice is to use a 165-168g, stiff putter for putting, a 170-172g for approaches and a 175g for drives. The light putters carry better for putts, the mid weights carry better for shorter shots, but are still predictable and the heavier putters just drive better than their lighter counterparts.

hey i took that advice and got a Z magnet and it feels great in my hand and im feeling more confident with it, thanks for the advice

Latest posts