• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello fellow disc golfers

Hi, my name is Steve and I have played disc golf three times now. Two were only nine hole rounds and one the full 18. I am averaging 44 on nine holes and got an 86 on all 18. (For the two different courses I played that's 23 over par on the whole 18 and 12 over on the nines) First time was with newbie set (of three) from dickssportinggoods, second I bought my own mid range (used only it whole round), and third was with a mid driver and putter. My putter I can throw RHBH straight all day, love it for narrows. (Need better accuracy as I two and three putt a lot, but thinks that's just practice) My mid throws straight with left at end for RHBH and straight and right at the end for RHFH. (It throws "about " 1/5 longer than my putter, if I really throw the putter) Loving both my discs. Driver I am having concerns with that if anyone would give advice, I would be very greatful. If throwing RHBH and thrown gentel, it goes out to the right and back to left, but goes only few yards more then mid. If throwing RHFH it goes out nicely to the left and back to right, but again, not really far. When I try to add power the disc goes way left for RHBH and way right for RHFH but not far. I am really enjoying the game, but if I could get my driving throws longer, it would be awesome. Any recommendations for a better driver disc? Thanks I appreciate your time, and thanks in advance for your insite.

Putter = innova aviar r-pro (2,3,0,1)
Mid = discraft buzzz z (5,4,-1,1) *
Driver = innova destroyer star (12,5,-1,3)

*Discraft was converted to innova numbers via internet searches

Others shall be along shortly to offer much more concise help, but from one new guy to another, the driver is optional at best, especially on the course. Maybe try a Leopard, always seems to be on the list for newcomers. Loved mine.

Hi, my name is Steve and I have played disc golf three times now. Two were only nine hole rounds and one the full 18. I am averaging 44 on nine holes and got an 86 on all 18. (For the two different courses I played that's 23 over par on the whole 18 and 12 over on the nines) First time was with newbie set (of three) from dickssportinggoods, second I bought my own mid range (used only it whole round), and third was with a mid driver and putter. My putter I can throw RHBH straight all day, love it for narrows. (Need better accuracy as I two and three putt a lot, but thinks that's just practice) My mid throws straight with left at end for RHBH and straight and right at the end for RHFH. (It throws "about " 1/5 longer than my putter, if I really throw the putter) Loving both my discs. Driver I am having concerns with that if anyone would give advice, I would be very greatful. If throwing RHBH and thrown gentel, it goes out to the right and back to left, but goes only few yards more then mid. If throwing RHFH it goes out nicely to the left and back to right, but again, not really far. When I try to add power the disc goes way left for RHBH and way right for RHFH but not far. I am really enjoying the game, but if I could get my driving throws longer, it would be awesome. Any recommendations for a better driver disc? Thanks I appreciate your time, and thanks in advance for your insite.

Putter = innova aviar r-pro (2,3,0,1)
Mid = discraft buzzz z (5,4,-1,1) *
Driver = innova destroyer star (12,5,-1,3)

*Discraft was converted to innova numbers via internet searches

Put that driver down and don't pick it back up until you can throw that Buzzz at least 250'. The Buzzz and Aviar are two of the best discs on the market so those are great choices. Another mid that would be great if you have a hankering to buy new plastic is a Comet. Both the Buzz and Comet will only fly like crap if you throw it like crap.

Throwing the driver now really isn't going to help you other than create frustration.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Buzzz and Aviar are great and you'll only like them more as you get better. Star Destroyers are great too, if you can throw 450'.

As PBokor mentioned, a Leopard is good for starters. If you want a real driver, I'd say don't go above speed 8 or 9. Something like a Valkyrie, Sidewinder, or a similar offering from another company. Keep working on form and you'll be surprised what can be done with low speed discs.

I used to have 5 tips for new people but I can't remember them. Where's prerube when you need him?

I'll just make up new ones.

1. Get all high speed discs to start
2. Fear prerube's descendents
3. Salient rocks
4. Always tag holes you birdie
5. Ignore New013

Awesome. Thank you for your replies. I will work on form and teqnique much more. I never thought the buzz could travel so far. Good luck everybody.

lightweight dx leopard if you want to go driver, but like they all said, work on that Buzzz/Roc/Truth type of disc most of all

The innova dx Starter pack is actually very decent for beginners IMHO

rule #1 - have some fun out there

Driver I am having concerns with that if anyone would give advice, I would be very greatful. If throwing RHBH and thrown gentel, it goes out to the right and back to left, but goes only few yards more then mid. If throwing RHFH it goes out nicely to the left and back to right, but again, not really far. When I try to add power the disc goes way left for RHBH and way right for RHFH but not far. I am really enjoying the game, but if I could get my driving throws longer, it would be awesome. Any recommendations for a better driver disc?

Like others said, grab a slower disc than that Destroyer (but keep it for later as your form improves!). I think it's fun to throw drivers regardless of how good you are so I recommend getting one. Research the speed 6-9 more beginner friendly driver class(Leopard, Diamond, River?, Patriot? others? I haven't thrown all of those but that kind of class might help).

Also check your grip & alignment: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml A nose down flight helps with separation between mids and drivers. ***Make sure the disc aligns with your forearm.

But form also contributes. Have you found the instructional video thread ? https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Cheers and welcome to the addiction of disc

Hi, Steve, welcome to disc golf! Get an understable mid like a Leopard or even better in my opinion, an Archer. Practice putting. If you can't buy a basket or don't have a place to put one, use something as a target and practice putting, focusing on using your legs for weight shift. Putting better will improve your scores/game dramatically. Whatever discs you buy and whatever your level of commitment to a practice regimen, remember to enjoy it. It's a great game.

Addressing the point of distance between putter/mid/driver: when most people start playing, there isn't too much difference in distance between these discs, for many reasons. This is a typical situation. Once you get more experience and better technique/form, you will see more of a difference in distance between the classes of discs. Putter @ 200', Mid @ 250', and Driver @ 300' seems to be a pretty common progression within the first year of playing, though various factors can affect this, so YMMV.

Another common thing that happens is getting hooked on buying new plastic. So here's what I would recommend buying (in this order) if you need to scratch that itch:

1) Putters. Putters are a very individual choice, based mostly on what feels good and comfortable, but also on what works with one's putting style. Practice putting to build a foundation of putting form, then buy some extra putters for practicing. How many? Anywhere from 2-10 putters covers most of the bell curve for a stack of practice putters. Before going in on a stack of putters, try and get various putters in hand to see how they feel in your hands. Your putter will be your most used disc, so it is important to get comfortable with it. Also good for working on form. Throwing putters is a good foundational skill.

2) Mids. You've got a Buzzz, which will work for a good long while. Keep throwing that Buzzz, but if you want to buy another midrange, I'd suggest a Comet. Something neutral like a Comet will help with getting form down since it will provide instant feedback. Generally, overstable discs mask form flaws, especially for forehand throws. You can also try out a Roc in DX plastic; it will be somewhat overstable at first but as it wears in (and as your form gets better) it will fly straighter and straighter.

3) Drivers. Stick with speeds 6-9, and something with some turn to it will be easier to throw. The suggestion of a Leopard is a good one, as it flies straight with an easy, lower powered throw. Later on this disc will help you learn other shots such as turnovers, hyzer flips, and rollers. If you want more speed, something like a Valkyrie is good because like the Leopard, it will fly straight but later you can use it for turnovers, hyzer flips, and rollers.

4) Windy Conditions/Utility discs. If you are playing in windy conditions, you'll need something with more stability to fight through the wind. Or, you may want something for sharply fading shots, or specialty shots such as skip shots, thumbers, spike hyzers, etc. You may be able to use your Destroyer for some of these shots, but something like a Firebird can fill this role and be more useful to you at this point.

5) Other:

Basket. If you have more cash to burn, I'd recommend buying a basket. This will let you practice putting at home, in your living room, garage, yard, wherever. You can buy new, or check out craigslist, etc. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but a portable basket that you can bring to a park/field will let you practice putting and approach shots anywhere.

Dubs. Find out when and where doubles are played. This will usually cost about $10. Here are a few reasons why this is $10 well spent:

-You will meet other players. They can give you advice/tips, let you throw their discs so you don't have to buy something just to try it, and generally be good resources as you learn and grow in the game.
-You will learn faster. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know. Playing dubs will put you in various practical in-game situations which will let you know what area(s) of your game need the most work. You can watch and see what more experienced players do, and ask why they chose that disc, why they picked that line, etc.
-You will have fun. Playing doubles is a great way to play, and the various formats let you mix things up.

Welcome to disc golf and remember to have fun!

Awesome. Thanks for all your advice. I have been practicing my putter, inside 15ft I'm getting most my shots, longer range iffy still. I'm playing tomorrow, so gonna use putter entire game, try to work on that. Enjoy guys/gals.

After trail and error today I have one last post about recommendations, and if previous reccomendations still fit, feel free to say so. I was throwing the leopard today and no matter what I did with my form it starts fairly straight then massive curve to the right doing RHBH. I don't trust the disc at all. My destroyer same but to the left RHBH still. However, the destroyer at RHFH I threw a 273' shot today. Have to get consistent, but means form is coming together. Midrang buzzz good, but a straighter flying mid or fairway driver I'd be willing to try. The aviar is good close range, but outside circle just doesn't work for me, so I'll be trying new putter. A local league sells discs so I'll try to test some out before I buy, but any suggestions for me to look at, I appciete, thanks.

Possibles to check
Putter
-wizard?
-banger?
Mid
-roc?
-comet?
Driver
-teebird?
-valkyrie?

If you have a light DX Leopard (like 150 grams) it will turn hard right on you unless you're squeaky clean with the form and throwing with plenty of hyzer (that means the side of the disc opposite of you is pointing down towards the ground). If you get a heavier Leopard in champion or star plastic it won't nearly be as finicky but still appreciably understable. Or you can get a fairway driver that's more stable off the shelf like a Teebird, Eagle, FD, Cyclone etc. There's a huge gap between a Star Destroyer and a DX Leopard, like comparing a Lamborghini and a MG Midget.

After trail and error today I have one last post about recommendations, and if previous reccomendations still fit, feel free to say so. I was throwing the leopard today and no matter what I did with my form it starts fairly straight then massive curve to the right doing RHBH. I don't trust the disc at all. My destroyer same but to the left RHBH still. However, the destroyer at RHFH I threw a 273' shot today. Have to get consistent, but means form is coming together. Midrang buzzz good, but a straighter flying mid or fairway driver I'd be willing to try. The aviar is good close range, but outside circle just doesn't work for me, so I'll be trying new putter. A local league sells discs so I'll try to test some out before I buy, but any suggestions for me to look at, I appciete, thanks.

Possibles to check
Putter
-wizard?
-banger?
Mid
-roc?
-comet?
Driver
-teebird?
-valkyrie?

Honestly what you probably need most is more time spent learning the discs. Much more than 54 holes and some field practice. Here are some questions that will help with recommendations:

Putter: When you say you're getting most of your shots inside of 15 feet, what do you mean by "most?" 60%? 75%? 90%? From 15 feet and in you should be making at least 85%. If you aren't at this point, then any putter is going to give you trouble outside the circle. What specifically are the issues you are experiencing with the Aviar? If you want something that's a "point-and-shoot" type putter, try a Classic Aviar, or a Discraft Roach, or maybe something a little understable like a Swan.

Mid: The Buzzz should do some good work flying pretty straight (and on other lines, for that matter.) If you want to try something else, other straight flying mids are a Mako/Mako3, or try a Comet, or get a used Roc/beat a new DX Roc into a straight flyer.

Driver: What kind of Leopard are you throwing? What form changes did you try with it? Did you try different hyzer angles? Assuming it isn't some combination of lightweight or beat up or DX plastic, you should be able to get somewhat of straight flight out of a Leopard. You may want to try out a Champ/Star Leopard or Leopard3. Or you can get something like a DX Teebird. It will likely fly straight and then end with some good fade, and as you use it more it will still fly straight and not fade as much at the end, eventually turning into a straight, gliding driver.

Also in general you should record a video of yourself throwing. Then you can see what you are really doing when you throw, as well as getting others to critique your form.

Everything above is great advice. Ill add some lesser suggested discs too that i feel are good beginner discs. Mvp volt makes a good 8-9 speed driver and available in lighter weights too. The mvp anode is also a great neutral putter. The ion also is fantastic.

Just my 2 cents.

However, if the archer cant shoot, the arrow wont hit home. Practice good form above all else!!

Last edited: