• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Texas

DamonRipper

Par Member
Just wanted to say hello and get involved here after lurking and learning a while. I am 47 years old, married for 18 years, and live in Flower Mound, and mostly play at Lake Park in Lewisville, L.L. Woods, and Bear Creek. I am a fitness addict ... I do one of the following almost every day: lift weights, run, cycle, do yoga, etc.

I have been a huge ball golf addict since high school, but had never really thought about disc golf. A friend at work invited me to go and I immediately loved it! All the fun of golf (nature, comraderie) without the negatives (pompous a-holes, incredible expense). The flight of a disc is a beautiful thing ... giving me the same satisfaction as a brilliantly struck golf club.

I just started playing in 2015, and got serious very quickly. I have been playing a lot, doing a lot of field work to learn technique, and even playing tourneys. I've thrown frisbees all my life so thought I would have a very short learning curve. Wrong ... I quickly realized I had to un-learn everything I thought I knew about throwing and start all over. Since then I have undergone about 4 major phases of learning to throw and am still learning! Fortunately, much of what I have learned in ball golf has greatly accelerated my curve in disc golf. My strengths are the same, approaches and putting are my best asset. I am now throwing out to to a max of 400' on golf lines on my absolute best throws, but don't average near that yet.

Anyhow, feel like I'm rambling. I did want to say a big thanks for the technique part of these forums. Guys like SlowPlastic, HyzerUniBomber, sidewinder22 have been instrumental in me getting as far as I have this quickly. :thmbup:

See you in the forums!

Welcome, I'm in Rowlett. We have enough people in the DFW area, we need to get a meet up at some local courses going.

Welcome, I'm in Rowlett. We have enough people in the DFW area, we need to get a meet up at some local courses going.

Lucky, you probably play Harry Meyers all the time! That course is awesome ... we should plan a meetup there sometime.

Welcome from WI, great progress already. I threw ultimates for many years and agree, DG discs are a different animal -- other than the Discraft soft APX. It flies like an ultimate and is a great point and shoot approach disc for touch shots 150' and in or so.

Was stationed in Fort Worth for four years before I got into disc golf...now I'm kicking myself for not playing it while I was there. Great courses in the Lone Star State. Welcome aboard!