• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello

bleu_falcon

Newb from LA here. I'm a novice player. I have a good friend in SF that I would go to Hahamonga with when he visited, and we went out both Saturday and Sunday just this past weekend. This time something clicked and I have the fever. So in addition to playing regularly, I'm going to get a bag and start building up my disc collection again. I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of information out there and all of the product choices. I thought Innova was the only legit, disc maker, for example! If anyone cares to give me a nudge in the right direction as far as buying stuff and getting better is concerned, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Go Trilogy. Latitude 64, Westside Discs, and Dynamic Discs. Awesome discs and most are novice friendly. Truth, Thief, Escape and Judge. Maybe a Harp too. Good place to start.

Thanks for the suggestions, H.R. HukkinStuff. I will definitely check those brands out.

Currently I have a handful of DX series discs: Valkyrie, Leopard, Shark, and 2 Aviars. I've also got a Supreme Flight G-line CD 2. I've been eyeing the Champion Daedalus and G Star Mambo, as well. I want to do some experimenting with different discs, but not to get too caught up in it and focus on my game at this point.

The more immediate concern is a decent bag. I don't really want to spend more than $100, but I also don't want to be constantly upgrading. Something that will carry a few beers and other odds and ends along with my discs. I'm leaning towards a Soldier Cooler or maybe just a regular soldier since I don't really need my beer to stay ice cold. If I load up a couple cold ones in a regular bag they should be fine for me for a few hours.

Ordered a Crunch Box on DGC last night. It looks like it should probably hold a light jacket and a couple cans o' brew.

I also bought a few of the most popular easy throwers: a Titanium Buzzz, a Champion Mambo, and a River. I realize I'd just as well confine myself to my Leopard/Shark/Aviar for a bit, but I really like trying out different stuff. I think I'll allow myself a Disc of the Month purchase going forward. Already keenly eyeing the Volt. Gotta say I really like the feel of DX so far though those discs are getting chewed up fast.

I'm planning to go to Chavez Ridge with a coworker of my wife's on Wednesday evening, but I can't wait to play again so I think I'll go solo at Oak Grove in a bit. Cheers.

There are a lot of good brands out there, personally I find innova to be a great place to start and then branch out from there, just because they are a solid company with good products and there is a lot of info out there on the discs and easy to get recommendations for. As far as discs go, personally I believe you can't go wrong with a TeeBird (I use champ) for a fairway driver. For distance drivers it varies on your speed. The Daedalus is a great driver but it is a speed 13 which is too much for me. I find I work best at a 10 or 11 range so I like using a Wraith (11). But if you want lower speed then that then I'd recommend the Beast as I believe it's a solid 9. As far as putters go it's your call. They are probably the disc I spent the most time and research into and find they are probably the most personal part of your bag since they are debatably the most important discs in your bag. The Aviar is a great choice, it's the number one selling disc by Innova for a reason. It's other big perk is that it is EVERYWHERE. Rarely can you walk into somewhere that sells discs and not find aviars. So they are easy to replace if lost or you feel it's time for a fresh one. Personally I love using Gateway Wizards. But needless to say is that you can't go wrong with an aviar but if you change your mind then I'd recommend really putting a lot of research into it and go to a local store and feel as many different ones as you can in different brands and plastics and see which one feels the best in your hand and has the flight characteristics you prefer. And lastly as far as mid ranges go I'd say you can never go wrong with KC Pro Roc's. They fly amazingly, feel great, and are easy to find. I really like the Pro plastic since its kind of like a step up of DX plastic. Similar feel but a little more sturdy but molds really well too over time; making you able to almost customize it's flight path tendency. Super reliable disc that you can always throw with confidence.

Those would be my personal recommendations and from there I think you'd have a solid footing to go from in your endeavors to search out other brands and discs and plastics. I hope this was helpful. Enjoy!

Welcome from TX. Good call on the crunch box. Great bag overall. I use one and really have no complaints. You can even slap some quads on there in the future, which is a nice feature for a smaller bag to have.

Try out LEGACY DISCS, since your from SoCal they are a local small(er) company that has some great discs to choose from and awesome feeling and looking plastic. Support the little guys ;) they're awesome. Go get yourself a ghost/patriot/rival and thank me later.

*or anything in my signature :p

Thanks for welcomes and plastic pointers, all. :)

Chris, I've browsed enough threads at this point to see that TeeBird, Roc, and Wizard are pretty hallowed names around here. I'm sure I'll acquire them sooner or later. Definitely interested in trying lots of stuff over time from big and small companies alike. I decided that the Daedalus is too fast for me right now. I've gotten the Leopard to flip a handful of times at this point, but not the Valkyrie, I don't think. Hopefully I can gain a bit more power fairly quickly by learning and applying some basic techniques, which I'm just beginning to attempt. Yesterday I was realizing more power, but at the expense of accuracy. My RHBH tee shots were going way high and way right. I managed to tame those issues somewhat during the day and find a little more control.

Simplify your life, at least starting out. Stick with one manufacturer for a while. All of the major ones make good discs, and your own inconsistency will affect your game more than the slight differences between them. You can branch out later. And you will.

Innova will suit you just fine. They do, however, make a bewildering number of models and plastics, all by themselves. If you want to go even simpler, start with a brand with fewer models.

Got the Crunch Box. It seems like the discs will sit better if the bag is full. Lol. So I just ordered a Hunter, Atom, Volt, and Sidewinder. Ridiculous. OK, looking forward to getting a little better this weekend.

Got the Crunch Box. It seems like the discs will sit better if the bag is full. Lol. So I just ordered a Hunter, Atom, Volt, and Sidewinder. Ridiculous. OK, looking forward to getting a little better this weekend.

:thmbup: Volt and sidewinder should make a great pair. Good choice checking out some legacy also. Nice start!

If you end up liking that Legacy Hunter, I highly recommend checking out the Patriot. Great disc.

Go Trilogy. Latitude 64, Westside Discs, and Dynamic Discs. Awesome discs and most are novice friendly. Truth, Thief, Escape and Judge. Maybe a Harp too. Good place to start.

You'll get used to this^^^ Trilogy people are really pushy (they're kind of the Jehovah's Witnesses of disc golf). Throw what's comfortable. Legacy is a great suggestion. They have some awesome plastic blends. Personally I'm a fan of MVP/Axiom, and they too have a number of good, beginner friendly molds. The Axiom Theory would be good place to start with them. But don't feel like you're missing out if you want to stick with Innova. They've pretty much got every slot you'd ever need to fill covered at this point.

One place I use as a resource to get at least a vague idea of how discs will fly is Inbounds Disc Golf. You can select up to 4 discs for a side by side comparison. It's not perfect, but it'll give you a starting point.

The Buzzz has been very effective right out the gate for me for low flying vector approach shots. Love it. I haven't really figured out the River yet but I love the feel of it and I think it's going to be a good one. I only threw the Mamba once on a big wide open fairway. I got a fairly decent hyzer shot out of it but I definitely need more power to get good results with that one. I got the Valkyrie to turn over once or twice yesterday, so I'm making slow and steady progress.

Best advice is: Do not try to keep up with every new disc. I did it from 2010-2012 and it was a full time job back then. Now a new disc comes out every week. You don't have to try everything. throwing a Lat 64 River and an Innova Leopard is like eating Bryer's French Vanilla and Blue Bunny Vanilla. Sure they are different, but the common person won't notice.

Latest posts