• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a noob with some discs

Here's my plan. Play with 3 discs for a minimum of 3 rounds. After the 3rd round I'll allow myself to change up to 2 of the discs for for the next 3 rounds. So, no changing except at 3rd, 6th, 9th...
I thought about trying a minimum of 5 rounds but I seem to have a plastic fetish which I can see has probably led to less consistency and confidence, so I hope 3 rounds is enough to have some impact.

First disc selection- Magnet, Buzz, XL

Any thoughts? How would you modify my plan or, better yet what would your plan be if you could go back in time and beginning the learning curve again?

Excellect choice of discs;) Good plan. The #3 seems to be themed in dg. Three is most par, three types of discs, three basic types of drives, many tourneys are three rounds....
If I could go back I would use those three discs and use the bent arm technique.

Here's my plan. Play with 3 discs for a minimum of 3 rounds. After the 3rd round I'll allow myself to change up to 2 of the discs for for the next 3 rounds. So, no changing except at 3rd, 6th, 9th...
I thought about trying a minimum of 5 rounds but I seem to have a plastic fetish which I can see has probably led to less consistency and confidence, so I hope 3 rounds is enough to have some impact.

Any thoughts? How would you modify my plan or, better yet what would your plan be if you could go back in time and beginning the learning curve again?

Sounds like a great start. I think you'll be surprised at how many different lines you can hit with the buzzz and xl. I've personally found the magnet a little understable for driving with and have better luck with something like a challenger/wizard/focus/bb aviar, but try it out and see what works for you.

Now I just need some free time and decent weather...
So what is the bent arm technique?

I am pretty new too.... just started really playing in January. I did the same thing... bought a lot of discs, read these forums like a religion, and watched all the Youtube I could stand. A lot of the advice helped, and some of it hurt.... I have a tendency to over think... and nobody can totally think you through your own throw. I would imagine with your Ultimate time, you are already big time ahead. I have been getting consistently longer with my drives, but I am still lucky to break 220.... and most are consistently between 175 - 190.

In terms of discs...

As a fellow newbie... these are my favorites.

Discraft Elite Z Surge SS

I just picked this one up used.... I like it a lot. Lately I have seemed to loose a lot of control on my Valks.... which were my favorite before.... this one seems to be easier for me now.... but my form is changing all of the time too, as I practice, read, and hopefully improve.

Innova Champion Ed. Beast

This one too.... there was a local tournament here last weekend, and there were suddenly a ton of used discs at my local shop... so I checked them out. I got this one because it is supposed to be a close cousin to the Valk.... so far, it is good. Predictable, and ok distance.

Innova DX Cro 175g

I used to use this as my fairway approach fairly consistently. I have since changed to a Stingray, which I love.... but I still use the Cro for forehand flip type shots where I want it to fade to the right at the end of the throw.

Innova Star Dart 175g

This is my new far putt... approach disc. So far it is a bit unpredictable for me... but I like the feel, I just need to practice more.

Innova Champion Ed. Eagle

This disc I also just picked up.... I like it a lot... so far this and the Orc are kinda interchangeable, I am still trying to figure out which one I like the most. Nice distance and super straight.

Innova Champion Ed. Monarch 175g

This is the disc that I consistently throw the furthest. I really like it, and even though I get about 100' less than the average joe... it is still rather reliable for me. Like I said, my valks were my favorite for the bulk of my first month... but lately they have just been off.

Innova Champion Orc

This one is similar to the Eagle... but every now and then I throw it just right, and I surprise myself with it... so I keep it in the bag.

Innova DX Stingray 168g

This is my essential disc right now. I love it. it is super predictable... glides forever, and I use it just about every hole.... (since my drives are short).

Innova Champion Valkyrie 174g

This was my go to favorite for awhile... not sure why it is letting me down lately.

Innova DX Wraith 175g

I just stuck this one in the bag to test it comprable to the Surge SS.... I have a 148 g Wraith too that I like.

Quest Crossfire 170g

This is another new putter. I use it for close shots that are on flat terrain. I really like its feel... but it rolls like crazy, and the course that I play usually has a lot of pins on hills. So I don't use this one from further out.

Proline Rogue

Another used one that I just picked up. I really like it... can't get it out as far as the Monarch yet.. but it is close..... I have a feeling I might like this a lot with some more work.

My girlfriend is new to the game too.... and she loves her Soft Magnet for a distance putter... she switches to a Blow Fly II when she is in close.... she just got a BUZZ... and she LOVES IT.... The XL is a bit more unpredictable... at least for us..... She loves the Avenger SS and the Banshee

First post here.

I started playing last summer and I'm pretty hooked. I've tried out a fair number of discs and purchased more than I probably should have but like I said I'm hooked.
Anyway I think it would be good to settle on a few discs and get used to them rather than moving discs in and out of my bag. Here's a list of all the discs I own, please give me your opinion on 10-12 discs to keepin my bag for awhile. I'm averaging about +7-8 per round and my max distance is around 340 with the Monarch-but not consistently.

Aviar P&A 175
Magnet 170
Soft Challenger
Wolf 150
Shark 150
Cobra
Buzz
Stratus 168
Gazelle
Leopard 168
Archangel 167
XL 171
Wraith
Monarch 168
Crush
Surge
QJLS
Groove 170

I'm probably the last person you should listen to on this forum regarding disc selection, but here is my 2cents worth:
Aviar P&A
Groove (only if you throw forehand, otherwise ditch this fast)
Wraith
Leopard
Shark
Buzz
Gazelle
XL

That's probably what I'd do. But again, I'm a sucky newb so listen to other, wiser heads than me. ;)

Appreciate the suggestions...Heh, haven't even played one round under my new plan and i'm already second guessing myself. Disc golf is something I do for fun so by definition I don't want to take it so seriously that it becomes work. However, more consistency would remove the frustration of making stupid decisions so I'm going to give the 3 disc plan a chance. Don't see how it could hurt.

It will be way more fun out driving your friend with your putter. Dg is easy, putting is easy- we just make it hard. For example, I throw my magnet so much further then most on here quote, that I feel like a liar even saying it. I am not that sweet, nor do I have a huge distance drive. I just didn't put limits on it. So instead of saying, I'll use my putter for 150 and in, I said how do I have to throw it to pass 250. More air, more hyzer or anhyzer? It also helped playing with sponsored players and watching clash videos to see what the discs were able to do. I am not as athletic as Ken climo, but seeing older guys and small girls throw I realized there's much more these discs can do.
The bent arm technique is, in short, not reaching all the way back. It's more of a focus on timing and accuracy, that's leads to follow through and getting your weight over. It's treating your arm like a catapult, with the elbow being the hinge, the disc being the rock. It's highlight for me was improving the single most important factor IMO - keeping the disc in the correct plane- meaning your forarm and disc shoul be parallel.

Appreciate the suggestions...Heh, haven't even played one round under my new plan and i'm already second guessing myself. Disc golf is something I do for fun so by definition I don't want to take it so seriously that it becomes work. However, more consistency would remove the frustration of making stupid decisions so I'm going to give the 3 disc plan a chance. Don't see how it could hurt.
It depends on what you find fun. If you find debating between 20 different discs to try to decide which one will fly the way you want fun, then playing with 3 discs won't be as fun. If you find figuring out how to get a couple discs to fly 20 different ways each (i.e. learning skills) fun, then it will be lots of fun. The second method also happens to be the best way to improve your technique, consistancy and score.

I also agree with craftsman, out driving your friends with a putter or mid is lots of fun.

For most noobs that want to have cheap disc's. All they need to do is find a course with dark water and hop in. Of course my local course has loads of disc. My buddies when we all started playing did that and found about 75 in all.

DON'T DO THIS ^^^^ = bad karma. Return disc whenever possible and the disc golf gods will smile upon you.

And not to throw a wrench in your cogs but you mentioned ultimate. Have you tried a zephyr? Disc golf disc most like a ultimate lid. I never played ultimate but this is what i've heard.

Excellent point on the fun factor Garublador. I agree, guess my point was that I want to get better but not if it stops being fun. A lot of the fun for me is just being out on the course with a buddy. Of course, making shots that he can't make is pretty fun too.

Unloading a bunch of disc will leave room for at least a 6 pack, which should add to the fun.

Is there a video that explains the bent arm technique? It sounds like it would mess with my elbow.

I didn't think RCRACER was advocating not returning found discs with a name/number. I have found and kept several disc that were unmarked-what else can you do? I've also returned the two that I found with phone numbers. It's why I mark all of my discs, I would like them to be returned.

Is there a video that explains the bent arm technique? It sounds like it would mess with my elbow.
All it means is that your arm isn't straight when you're at your full reach back. It's easier to get the feel for the right timing that way. The rest of the throw will look pretty much the same.

I think I might do that now. Pretty sure my arm is bent a little, crap I don't know, need to get a disc and see.

If the arm isn't bent then it must be straight, if it's straight wouldit not be straight thru the whole throwing motion? Doesn'r seem like you could get much power that way. Maybe I'm missing something here.

If the arm isn't bent then it must be straight, if it's straight wouldit not be straight thru the whole throwing motion?
No, you'll still pull across your chest and your elbow will bend. It's just that you start with your arm straight. It's a pretty subtle difference between the two. Really it's just a style of reach back, it's not a whole different throwing technique.

Yeah, bent arm is simply not reaching all the way back.
It's the same idea as run up, yes more run up will achieve more distance potential, but only if the last step is correct. So to focus on form and accuracy, people will take less steps to focus on timing.
Same for the reachback, yes reaching all the way back has more distance potential, but only if you understand pulling in the right direction(high to low/low to high), maintaing the disc in the same plane, twisting the forarm to create anhyzer or hyzer (instead of tilting your wrist). Otherwise using bent arm is actually easier. It's just shaving off reaching all the way back. Less chance of messing things up.

So after re-reading your last post I think I should say;
your arm doesn't throw the disc. Your butt should be towards the target, then when you spin it twists your shoulders, during this you keep the disc close to your chest and pull, when your elbow can't go forward it flings your forarm, during this you TRY to keep your wrist straight, when the forarm runs out of room it flings your wrist and out flys the disc. No actual throwing involved.
You mentioned earlier about it sounding like it would hurt- only if you don't let go of the disc;)
actually trying to "throw" it will lead to sore muscles and joints because it's easier to use your whole body to launch a disc then to try to arm it all the way there.

Search Dan beato vids.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the technique stuff, hard to visualize it, but I'm going to get in a couple of rounds today so I'll have a chance to try some different techniques. Hopefully I can find a video or two to watch before I head out.