• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Lightweight, Overstable Molds

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
So. I know the 150 Flick has been a thing for a long time...I never dabbled but accepted it.

My main question:

FOR THOSE WITH TRUE 400'+ POWER :

Do you ever use lighter overstable discs? 170 doesn't count. Has to at least be 167 or lower (I believe 8g is the start of feeling true differences in weight and flight). I'm a Drone whore/advocate which any long time user on here knows, and I have four from 166-167. Should I invest in trying to throw them like my normal max weights or should I sell them? What do you benefit from lighter overstable molds??

I've carried it all, my arguably favorite disc of all time is a 165g Rattler. 159g Proton Crave isn't far behind. That said I typically carry 172+ . . .

I carry a 166 Flare and a 165 Giant ITB. The Flare is mainly to take the place of a very nicely beat in one that I lost. Does well for shots that need to throw OS lines but make go a few extra feet. Most Flares I can't throw much over 375 on normal lines, this one goes near 400 without max effort.

The Giant I actually bought, with the idea that it would be a max D backhand disc, but it was freak OS. Almost VIP Warhorse OS, so I use it for Max D FH shots when I'm getting tired or have some fatigue.

It's one of the longer discs I've got, easy 475 and it's gone over 500 a few times. But mainly gets used in the second round of tournaments and the day after I have a long workout.

So. I know the 150 Flick has been a thing for a long time...I never dabbled but accepted it.

My main question:

FOR THOSE WITH TRUE 400'+ POWER :

Do you ever use lighter overstable discs? 170 doesn't count. Has to at least be 167 or lower (I believe 8g is the start of feeling true differences in weight and flight). I'm a Drone whore/advocate which any long time user on here knows, and I have four from 166-167. Should I invest in trying to throw them like my normal max weights or should I sell them? What do you benefit from lighter overstable molds??

I've carried it all, my arguably favorite disc of all time is a 165g Rattler. 159g Proton Crave isn't far behind. That said I typically carry 172+ . . .

Disclaimer - I don't throw 400+

I have always considered the same, that I would not be able to reliably tell the difference or predict the flight differences of anything less than 5g, aka the mass of a US nickel.

I consider 171-175g essentially max weight on discs the diameter of a Teebird. I would further agree that about 166-167 is where I feel like I can start to conceptualize the disc as any lighter than max weight, and where I start to notice a little more zip.

Question for you - you mention a Drone at 166g or less. Have you considered that 166/180 is 92.2% vs 166/175 is 94.9%? Essentially that a more dramatic difference exists between your lightweight Drones and max weight ones, vs the same small diameter discs.

Seems to me like the idea of lightweight could have more to do with the relationship between % of max wt vs absolute wt in grams. Say you had a mini which was 150g for example.

At a recent B-level I threw my 155g Star Destroyer about 10 times off the tee--pure spike hyzer to clear trees and use different lines. Oh that was at 10k feet now that I think about it, Leadville CMC course. There's also no question that if all the stars align and you have a 10mph quartering tailwind throwing down the mountain 700' away, for that hole you probably want this disc.

In normal ops the only time I throw this disc, and I do bag one, is when I want to go wayyyyy vertical, but also decently far down range. Oh and no HW.

Not sure weight (or mold) matters if the shot is what you want/need. I'm kind of learning that mid 160s seems to be a sweet spot for me in fairways and DDs. Some of them best 400' in the field. I bag a 154g Getaway, and it used to be overstable. Now it's somewhere between point-and-shoot and baby-S depending on the wind. It's nice to have at least one light mold for distance with awkward footing.

Not sure weight (or mold) matters if the shot is what you want/need.

Truth.

I play regularly with a mixed group of guys (mid twenties and athletic to early to mid fifties) and everyone has their own game and what works for them. You might have me throwing a gentle hyzer with a Pig while one guy is running a straight shot with a Dagger and someone else is throwing a forehand flex with a fairway driver and another guy is throwing a thumber. Ultimately we are all inside the circle and putting.

Part of the cool thing about disc golf is there really isn't a right or wrong way to play when it comes to disc or shot selection if you get the results you want.

Sometimes you can get massive distance out of lightweight, overstable molds. Also, some of Trilogy's air discs are beefier than their heavier counterparts. You can't always assume a disc will be flippy simply because it's lightweight.

I generally don't throw lightweight drivers on the course. They may go really far, but they tend to have inconsistent flights, and can get pushed around badly by wind.

Star Destroyers 160g and less are worth a look. They maintain the basic Destroyer flight, but usually have a little more turn, glide, and noticeably more distance than their heavier counterparts.