• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help fill a 12 disc bag for a practice/casual/multiple throw player

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Around 2-3 years, though I've been down about half of that with shoulder injuries.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right handed
Throwing Style: RHBH - almost exclusively standstill fan grip right now
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Judge: 200/225'; Stratus: 225/250'; Heat: 250/275'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Lifetime of shoulder injuries

Goals: Keep this a fun hobby. I'm ultra-competitive and tend to ruin fun hobbies. Taking great care to not do this with disc golf, while still expanding and developing my game.

How I play: By myself, carry a 12 disc bag. Most of the time, I just throw multiples with each shot and don't even bother with score. I also play 2 throw best shot a decent bit. Less often I play 2 throw worst shot. I occasionally play straight up for score.

So I'm not looking for 6 duplicates, but I do want 2-3 viable options for any throw.

My bag currently (packed with no real purpose):

Putting putters
-Classic Hybrid Judge
-misprint Magnet:

I have several others that I rotate in for the 2nd slot. I'm happy here.

Throwing putters
- Ultrium Jokeri
- Basic Jokeri

I love the feel of the Basic plastic. Keeping that in the bag. Haven't figured out how to use the Ultrium yet. I also have a Zone that I never figured out. I had a Prime Deputy that I threw a LOT, but it won't hold up to wind and I've started to turn it frequently. I've got a Sol that I used to love that is in the same boat. I think I'd like to have a Fuzion Deputy.

Mids
- pre-flight number DX Wolf
- DX Roc

I've got a bunch of Buzzz's that I want to sell or trade as I really like the Roc. I just bought a couple more DX Roc's. I think I'll ultimately have 2 or 3 in my bag. The Wolf is a workhorse for me. Holds up to wind surprisingly well and I use it as a utility disc and upshot disc. I have a Stratus that I threw a lot, but it is too touchy in the wind. I have a Z Wasp that I'll add when I find a regular need for a more stable mid.

Fairway Drivers
- Pro D Cyclone
- Ace Race Sting
- Z Heat
- Champ Teebird
- ESP Undertaker

The Heat and the Cylone are work horses. I just throw the Sting against those 2. The Teebird is what I use when I play around with forehands. I don't know why I carry the Undertaker. I have a DX Leopard and a C-Line FD that I used to carry.

Distance Drivers
- 162g Beast

I picked this up last week for giggles. It flies a good bit farther than everything else, but I play in too much wind to use it regularly.

I have a bunch other random discs (mostly stuff I got in mystery boxes and mostly things like Forces and Nukes) that I don't plan to use in the near future and will replace with other stuff via selling or trading.

I clearly have a lot of understable stuff and not a lot that holds up to wind very well. What else do I need to look at to expand my options a bit, while still being able to get the most out of taking multiple throws per shot?

Geez man that's a solid bag. Maybe a lighter Teebird or a DX, is star any good in those?

You've got good line shaping bag... I'm a MVP guy so I'd say a lighter fission Volt they are weirdly wind resistant and are still easy ish to throw, but it's likely Teebird redundant, I found the TB's a little difficult to find the sweet ones/weight/worn-ness for me... so I Harbour an irrational dislike for them 4 or 5 teebird later.

Some people might say a light DX Firebird, I have an old pro 160 FB which I found out is actually an FL (Firebird top with the L bottom so less stable). I would say get a 160 FL and you can't go wrong. It will handle the wind as well as a true Firebird and responds better to lower armspeed. Also does nice OH and thumbers. The step down (?) In weight and up in stability will help but it's likely the same or more stable than your Teebird, but one of the most solid wind fighters.

Last edited:
I typically carry a limited bag. I won't make any specific recommendations for discs but just generalize what types of discs I carry.

2x putting putters

1x neutral throwing putter

1x overstable throwing putter

1x neutral mid range

1x overstable mid range

4x fairways ranging from understable to overstable

3x distance drivers (one is beefy enough for headwinds, one is kind of neutral to stable and is my go to most of the time, and one is flippy and bombs for me if there isn't any wind)

So, technically that is thirteen discs but I could just carry one putting putter and that would be twelve.

With this setup I can cover just about any shot I need on pretty much any course I play.

If I felt the need for a utility type disc then I'd slip one of my fairways out and maybe throw in something like a Firebird or FD3 or something similar.

DX or Pro Valkyrie for easy distance calm/tailwind
Star or GStar Thunderbird for wind/overstable.

it's not a perfect tool since discs can fly so much different than their flight numbers but I usually use mydiscbag.com to get a rough visual idea of what my bag contains and then look for any obvious gaps.

If you're finding the undertaker too fast and too stable to be useful at 250-275 power (I did as well) perhaps pull it out and replace it with something that can be a second shot for the heat/teebird? for me that would be a c-line FD

I've also liked the c-line FD2 and swap it out with my FD on those really windy days where the FD/teebird type discs struggle. on calm days it works well as a utility meathook type disc. Depending how stable your other drivers are this may not be a slot you need to fill/change.

on the midrange side I expect you'll wind up beating in a Roc to a fairly straight flyer and then have a fresher roc perform the more overstable shots that the wasp might otherwise do? in that case you have stable and neutral covered. I know you already have the wolf here but I'd suggest trying out out a heaveier ESP or Z archer as a lower power tweener disc. it's pretty understable and does some really nice sweeping anhyzer shots at our power levels (you can flip it into a throwler if you crank on it though) for me it's a throw it like a putter shot and just let it pan over. at the max 250' distance level I was getting the archer to fly a solid 200-220' throwing it softly like a putter, it's a great disc for when you're tired/sore and was the disc that kept me from needing forehand shots for quite a while.

Putter selection tends to be personal what feels best so I think you're fine there.

flight%2Bratings%2B%25281%2529.jpg

it's not a perfect tool since discs can fly so much different than their flight numbers but I usually use mydiscbag.com to get a rough visual idea of what my bag contains and then look for any obvious gaps.

If you're finding the undertaker too fast and too stable to be useful at 250-275 power (I did as well) perhaps pull it out and replace it with something that can be a second shot for the heat/teebird? for me that would be a c-line FD

I've also liked the c-line FD2 and swap it out with my FD on those really windy days where the FD/teebird type discs struggle. on calm days it works well as a utility meathook type disc. Depending how stable your other drivers are this may not be a slot you need to fill/change.

on the midrange side I expect you'll wind up beating in a Roc to a fairly straight flyer and then have a fresher roc perform the more overstable shots that the wasp might otherwise do? in that case you have stable and neutral covered. I know you already have the wolf here but I'd suggest trying out out a heaveier ESP or Z archer as a lower power tweener disc. it's pretty understable and does some really nice sweeping anhyzer shots at our power levels (you can flip it into a throwler if you crank on it though) for me it's a throw it like a putter shot and just let it pan over. at the max 250' distance level I was getting the archer to fly a solid 200-220' throwing it softly like a putter, it's a great disc for when you're tired/sore and was the disc that kept me from needing forehand shots for quite a while.

Putter selection tends to be personal what feels best so I think you're fine there.

flight%2Bratings%2B%25281%2529.jpg

That's a neat tool that I didn't know existed.

I think the Undertaker just isn't very forgiving, especially on open holes. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it dumps. ...and it is one of those swirly earthy pink/brown/green colors, so I spend about 10 minutes looking for it every time I throw it.

DX or Pro Valkyrie for easy distance calm/tailwind
Star or GStar Thunderbird for wind/overstable.

Or even a DX Dragon for easy Distance calm/tailwind, most current modern DX Dragon are like a good run of R-Pro but without the R-Pro durability. The Champion Valkyrie if in the standard that is not stiff/slick is the ticket or the Glow Champion will work for players just get the lighter discs to help with distance. The Star is something else and if low dome to flat top will be a Champion Viking in flight. The Sidewinder is also not a bad choice, an Uncle uses tha for his distance disc.

Geez man that's a solid bag. Maybe a lighter Teebird or a DX, is star any good in those?

You've got good line shaping bag... I'm a MVP guy so I'd say a lighter fission Volt they are weirdly wind resistant and are still easy ish to throw, but it's likely Teebird redundant, I found the TB's a little difficult to find the sweet ones/weight/worn-ness for me... so I Harbour an irrational dislike for them 4 or 5 teebird later.

Some people might say a light DX Firebird, I have an old pro 160 FB which I found out is actually an FL (Firebird top with the L bottom so less stable). I would say get a 160 FL and you can't go wrong. It will handle the wind as well as a true Firebird and responds better to lower armspeed. Also does nice OH and thumbers. The step down (?) In weight and up in stability will help but it's likely the same or more stable than your Teebird, but one of the most solid wind fighters.

I had a DX Teebird in about 167g that I really liked and recently lost. It was probably my 2nd or 3rd most thrown disc, but pulled my head up early and hung it out a bit too much over the water. Only reason that I haven't replaced it is that I was probably only 15 or so feet off the shore, so I'm holding out hope that someone finds it and gets it back to me.

I was actually looking at the FL on Infinite at lunch the other day with a similar idea. It seems like a disc that not a lot of people talk about.

I had a DX Teebird in about 167g that I really liked and recently lost. It was probably my 2nd or 3rd most thrown disc, .

I think that's your answer right there... I imagine they hold up pretty well in the wind, if you like it why mess with it? Depending on funding start your cycle, get another one 167 DX and another. If your champ is heavy like 170 try a lighter 164 ish champ or add a 170 DX. Vary a few grams to get what you need out of something you like.

Yeah I love my FL haha. Good distance, amazing wind resistance and still slow enough to throw. A good old disc golfing buddy gave it to me, so its more than a disc. It did a lot to improve my game too.

Candy Pro I believe is one of their early attempts at champion ( next to the CE's), mine is stamped Firebird, I bought 4 or 5 more to back it up but I just figured they weren't broken in enough haha so I shelved it, 5 yrs later, 2 yrs ago I read on here that the bottom was different and its actually an FL! They were worried about flight consistency with existing DX. Haha Innova, bah! But yeah think straighter FB.

Last edited:
Went to the big 18 hole course today. Played best shot, throwing 2 discs, paying attention to what I threw (never really done this before).

Threw my Heat and Beast as drives on maybe 14 holes. Threw both Jokeri plastics against each other a lot. Threw the Roc and the Wolf several times. Threw a DX Leopard (pulled the Undertaker out) three times, only threw the Cyclone once (and hit the first tree). I didn't touch the champ Teebird or the Sting or the S Line FD (which I wedged in there).

Feelings for that round is that I would have loved to have something a little more stable than the Beast and there was a pretty big void for an understable throwing putter or mid.

So I lost the Heat. Got it back. Put the Sting in the drink. It is waiting for me at the local store. My beloved Wolf rolled away into the water. Haven't gotten that one.

In trying to recover the Wolf, I found a Star Destroyer, a Prodigy H1, a Prodigy F2, and an MVP Resistor. Gonna mess around with these a bit on safe holes as I'm waiting to see if anyone claims them on the local lost and found group, especially the F2 and the Resistor.

Struggling to find a replacement for my old rubbery Wolf. Messed around with a Sol, a Stratus, and a pair of Deputies...and none of those are working out.

Update after a month...

I've been playing straight up for score more lately. Also playing mixing up the courses I'm playing a bit more. And I've made a lot of changes.

- 162g DX Beast. This thing has beaten to unreliably flippy FAST. I need to either get one in better plastic or if I want something that beats in, get something a little faster and more stable like a Wraith or maybe even a Destroyer.
- Z Heat. Love it.
- Pro D Cyclone. Love it. If these were easier to find, I think I'd cycle these instead of carrying multiple understable 6's and 7's.
- Ace Race Sting. Worse version of the Cyclone. I was without it for a couple weeks and didn't miss it one bit.
- DX Leopard. Got this back after about a year, spent my first year carrying nothing but this and a putter. Utility disc, experimental shots, shots with a high risk of losing my disc.
- DX Roc. Trying to beat this in, still pretty stable. Ultimately want to cycle a couple of those.
- Elite X Stratus. Never knew why I took this out.
- Basic Jokeri.
- Classic Blend Judge. Approach disc. My first ever putter. Super beat and taco'd. Neutral flight, but has some HSS.
- Prime Deputy. I hate this disc. At this point in its life, it never does what I expect. Helps keep the other discs in my bag from flopping around.
- Aviar Classic. Primary putter at the moment. Gonna carry 2 when I can buy more new ones.
- Classic Blend Deputy. Putt it against the Aviar a bit.

What I'm finding:
- I really like base plastic.
- I seem to be better and more comfortable at disc'ing up and taking some speed off my swing than throwing something more stable.

For giggles, I'll update what I've been carrying the last few weeks

- 175g DX Teebird
- 180g DX Roc
- 180g DX Roc
- 180g DX Roc
- 176g Elite X Buzz
- 175g Classic Blend Judge
- 175g Classic Aviar
- 175g Classic Aviar
- 175g Classic Aviar
- 175g Classic Aviar
- 175g Classic Aviar
- 175g Classic Aviar

And a really cool feature is that you can create multiple bags. Then you can compare all, some, or just one of your "bags".

For example, I have three bags:
Main - my 'go to' bag
Putter - for putter league
Not in bag - discs sitting on the shelf

I can view Main and Not in Bag to see if there is anything on my shelf that should/could go in my main bag. If I lose a disc or don't like the way it feels/flies, I can compare Main and Not In Bag to see if I have a replacement...saves me searching through discs.

You can also see the flight paths (you can adjust it for how you throw - RHBH/LHFH, RHFH/LHBH) and adjust them to how your discs actually fly.
There is also a 'recommended discs' part of the app where it will list suggestions for you.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but go on, please. I have a 168g Eagle that i enjoy more each round. Please define 'super light' and what that does for your Teebird.

like 158g. in still conditions and moderate arm you can get it out there in a glidey s-curve

So related...

The local Walmart had a closeout on their discs. I grabbed a couple of DX Teebirds.

The 175 DX's fly pretty stable for me new. As there wear in, they get a a little longer and finish straighter, but they still hold up in the wind. And that's beautiful.

I also grabbed a 166 DX. Even brand new, this thing turns a bit in the calm and sometimes wanders off in a headwind. It is still a good and useful flight for me, but if I want to get a DX Teebird to use to do DX Teebird things, I'll be buying 175's.

Latest posts