• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! I can't break 330ft!

Beep Beep

Hey everyone!

I'm excited to join your online community. I started playing disc golf seriously about 3 years ago. I have improved my accuracy some via YouTube tutorials, but I haven't been able to add any distance to my drives since I started!

My reliable driving distance is about 330ft. Please have a look at my form video and let me know how you think I can improve. Thank you for your time and advice!!

https://youtu.be/wutWOdYHrWE

Jonathan

Your X-step is way too long and turns you backwards, which basically eliminates the hips from the throw. In order to shift your weight you need to think about being more on your toes at all times, and going backwards automatically means you're on the heel for the last stride. Your steps need to be aligned sideways.

You also don't want to think of it as an actual reachback because it will probably prevent you from achieving proper posture, and makes you prone to strong-arming like seen in the video. The backhand throw is a whip created by rotational energy. Think of it as coiling your shoulders during the last step so that you can stay athletic and stacked over your center.

Center of gravity (near the belly button) should be flowing ahead of your strides and accelerating you into the plant. When you shorten the X-step ensure that the CoG is flowing ahead to get your weight leading the swing.

Latest posts