• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help is Much Appreciated!

SLiuGraphite

Bogey Member
Hey guys, I'm currently throwing around 400' and I'm sure I can get further but I don't really know what I need to do to get there.

This one is pretty cool looking

Please take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks.

There are several great golfers here that can offer form advice. My advice is to start working on upshots and putting. Any strokes you give away to player driving 600+ foot holes can be recouped with a money short game.

Yea, I get that. I just figured I would try to find anything wrong with my form so I don't practice any bad habits.

I do have some problems with wildly spraying discs around the course so accuracy is something I need to work on for sure haha.

In regards to improving accuracy, it looks like you take your eyes off target and turn away very early. Keep your eyes on the target for as long as possible and picture the disc flying on your intended line.

In regards to improving accuracy, it looks like you take your eyes off target and turn away very early. Keep your eyes on the target for as long as possible and picture the disc flying on your intended line.

Do not do this. It will cause all kinds of problems, shorter reach back, your timing will be off and your consistency will get worse.

Line yourself up on the tee pad to aim, focus on a consistent straight line when you start to pull through. Slow is smooth, smooth is far, and smooth is accurate.

As far as improving, you aren't pulling through on a straight line, you bend your arm and pull through inconsistently, stop trying to put everything you have into the disc and tone it down to 85-90% power, a disc that comes out straight is always better.

Doesn't seem like there is any weight shift taking place, your hips are turning but I don't see any power/weight in them. Watch the crush the can drill on YouTube, should help out a lot with that issue.

Follow the disc with your head till it gets to your right pec, your shoulders seem to open a little early, at least on the last slow motion throw.

The disc seems to come out a split second too early, wait till it gets to your right pec to tighten your grip and it will be stronger and more importantly you'll be able to hold on through the hit longer.

Can't see your hips in the slow motion but make sure they are leading

Do not do this. It will cause all kinds of problems, shorter reach back, your timing will be off and your consistency will get worse.

Line yourself up on the tee pad to aim, focus on a consistent straight line when you start to pull through. Slow is smooth, smooth is far, and smooth is accurate.

He is turning his head away before he pumps his elbow forward. He can keep his eyes on target for a longer amount of time without affecting his backswing.

Last edited:
how did you record the slow motion one, it's pretty cool.

I second what catastrofyk mentioned, especially with the disc coming out too early. Try to slow things down more going into the hit (29 seconds in the slow-mo video), then once the disc begins pivoting, put the pedal to the metal.

He is turning his head away before he pumps his elbow forward. He can keep his eyes on target for a longer amount of time without affecting his backswing.

But you don't aim with your eyes, you aim with your alignment on the pad. It won't help, it may not hurt, but it doesn't offer him anything

Doesn't seem like there is any weight shift taking place, your hips are turning but I don't see any power/weight in them. Watch the crush the can drill on YouTube, should help out a lot with that issue.

That was the first thing I noticed. Seems like your actively trying to open your hips up, as opposed to that being the natural result of a good weight shift. There is no power in turning your hips intentionally.

But you don't aim with your eyes, you aim with your alignment on the pad. It won't help, it may not hurt, but it doesn't offer him anything

Saying that it won't help is questionable. Not only is his head turning away too early, his entire body is turning away too early. Look at his body positions as his front foot strides forward compared to Will and Paul below.

Will and Paul are looking at the target with their hips and shoulders pointing ahead. In comparison, his head is turned 180 degrees in the opposite direction along with the rest of his body. Everything has rotated backwards too far and too early.

Unless he has the neck of an owl, keeping his eyes in contact with the target through the x-step will prevent the rest of his body from turning back too early.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stride.png
    Stride.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Stride2.jpg
    Stride2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 112
The first thing I notice is your finish position is all over the place. The finish position should be consistent and balanced to the shot, how you finish should tell the story of what the disc is going to do. You need to work on your stance, balance, posture and weightshift and probably adjust your grip and alignment. In the slowmo you can see the disc is not on plane to your forearm and/or shoulders as you come into the body. Your throwing stance is a wide knees out immoveable horsestance instead of being in a more stacked and athletic position to move quick. Firming up your posture should help with a full release of the arm instead of casting slightly early(see fencing video).

Saying that it won't help is questionable. Not only is his head turning away too early, his entire body is turning away too early. Look at his body positions as his front foot strides forward compared to Will and Paul below.

Will and Paul are looking at the target with their hips and shoulders pointing ahead. In comparison, his head is turned 180 degrees in the opposite direction along with the rest of his body. Everything has rotated backwards too far and too early.

Unless he has the neck of an owl, keeping his eyes in contact with the target through the x-step will prevent the rest of his body from turning back too early.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Absolutely agree. Don't know where you are getting your info, catastrofyk, but it's wrong. You don't need to STRAIN to keep looking at the target, but Feldberg and others say you should let your lead shoulder turn your head back during the backswing.

Last edited:
Just a small update, I've been working on a level pull through and Crushing the can.
My discs seem to not fly quite as far but the OAT seems to be diminished and they are flying a little more accurately though sometimes they still shoot off to the right.

I need to work on it a little more but I feel like I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!

Just a small update, I've been working on a level pull through and Crushing the can.
My discs seem to not fly quite as far but the OAT seems to be diminished and they are flying a little more accurately though sometimes they still shoot off to the right.

Thanks again!

I'v been working on the same two issues. What type of visualization, if any, has helped you keep a level pull?

Also, just wondering, how long have you been playing?

Thanks again!

OAT and not pulling through on a level plane can be closely related. It's usually a balance issue, and your balance on the finish is all over the place. The thing that I focus on to make sure I stay on plane is to focus on where my head is relative to my toes throughout the throw. For more hyzer you are leaned further over the toes, flat is basically right over the toes, and anny is slightly behind the toes. Then I just make sure to keep that plane through the finish.

I'v been working on the same two issues. What type of visualization, if any, has helped you keep a level pull?

Also, just wondering, how long have you been playing?

To try and keep my pull level I've been trying to work around the disc and am imitating a throw sort of like Mike C on youtube. The disc stays in place and I just x-step around it.

I've been playing for about 4 years, started really working on my form just a couple of years ago though.