• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me Create a Bag...

Husky22

OK my Plastic Obsession has left me with a ton of discs and no real defined bag...I have a lot of discs but no real purpose for a lot of them...I can throw about 400ish if im just throwing for distance, can throw about 300ish of actual disc golf distance.

DRIVERS:

169 Pro-D XL
177 Beat DX Firebird
170 DX TeeRex
172 DX TeeRex
169 Worn Pro-Wraith
167 Unthrown Z Crush
166 Worn Star Sidewinder
175 Champ Beast
175 Star Destroyer
174 Champ Boss
175 Star XCal
166 worn star wraith
169 Champ Sidewinder
160 R-Pro Boss
168 z Avenger SS
175 Ching Power Genesis
165 Champ T-Bird
167 Champ Orc
167 Z Surge
168 Z Surge SS
168 Champ Wraith

Mids:
174 Power Legacy
172 Z Buzz
170 Pro D Drone
175 DX ROC
168 Power Oracle
168 DX Cro

Putters Im set on but this is what I use
175 Beat Soft Wizard
175 New Soft Wizard
169 Newish Soft Wizard
174 Soft Magic

So as you can see a lot of "I want to try everything" and not much bag structure.

Star XCal or
Worn Star Wraith
Champ Sidewinder or Avenger SS
Champ T-Bird

Drone
DX Roc
Z Buzz

PS. What Wizard to you use for shorter drives? They aren't actually soft right? I got a SSS Wiz I'm gonna use for putting only! And get a different one for driving.

No, there not actually soft. I dont like the feel of the SS or the SSS wizards. I use the 169 for shorter drives.

This is what I would pick out of your bag:
169 Worn Pro-Wraith
169 Champ Sidewinder
168 Z Surge SS
174 Champ Boss (for hard turns)
170 Pro D Drone
175 Beat Soft Wizard

Plastic addiction is fun and I like having a lot of options too, but having a bag full of plastic you don't know very well and can't trust isn't helping your game much.

My advice is to cut your bag WAY down, at least for a bit. Pick out your two favorite putters. You'll need 2 - 3 mids to be able to cover shots to the right, straight and to the left. Personally, I'd pick the Roc and the Drone. Then you'll need maybe four drivers and try to keep it under six. Pick the driver you have the most control over for your accurate go-to driver. An overstable meathook is important and add an understable driver for long annys and hyzer flips. Finally, just for the fun of it, pick the disc you can really bomb out there for maximum distance.

Put these 8 - 10 discs in your bag. Put the rest of your discs away in the closet for awhile. Just play with this core group of discs for a couple months until you are very familiar with each of them and you know what they can and can't do.

Now comes the fun part - auditioning discs to join or replace members of your core group. What shots do you need that you can't do with these discs? What's the weak part of your game and can you find a disc that will do that better than the one you have been using?

Just my two cents... I've just found it's a lot easier to evaluate discs when you have a core group of discs you use a lot and really know how they fly instead of trying to make decisions without a baseline to compare to.

Sonny nailed it. Its hard to recommend what discs you should choose without knowing/seeing how you throw, so my suggestion is pick 4-5 drivers that you are most familiar with and stick with just those for a while. Once you do that you will start to know what works and can compare those discs to other discs to build your bag back up.

Less is more

Gotta agree with the other guys. Since I have reduced my discs I am a lot more consistent. I don't have too many blow up holes where I shoot a double or triple bogey. Pick 2 putters, 3 or 4 mids and maybe 5 or 6 drivers and learn those. Maybe throw in an extra trash disc or two for water holes and you're set. If you are relatively inexperienced like me I think you'll see improvement pretty quickly. I think it is even a great idea to play some rounds with 1-3 discs. I use a putter, a mid and a driver, and am able to shoot pretty well on most courses. It makes you learn your key discs inside and out. Necessity is the mother of invention. You'll be amazed at the shots you can come up with. Good luck.

At 0.6 years experience and 300' of golf distance, I'd do this:

can throw about 300ish of actual disc golf distance.

DRIVERS:
169 Pro-D XL
177 Beat DX Firebird

Mids:
175 DX ROC

175 Beat Soft Wizard
175 New Soft Wizard
169 Newish Soft Wizard
I'd consider a new Champ Firebird, too, but that depends on how beat the DX one is.

OK my Plastic Obsession has left me with a ton of discs and no real defined bag...I have a lot of discs but no real purpose for a lot of them...I can throw about 400ish if im just throwing for distance, can throw about 300ish of actual disc golf distance.

DRIVERS:

169 Pro-D XL
177 Beat DX Firebird
170 DX TeeRex
172 DX TeeRex
169 Worn Pro-Wraith
167 Unthrown Z Crush
166 Worn Star Sidewinder
175 Champ Beast
175 Star Destroyer
174 Champ Boss
175 Star XCal
166 worn star wraith
169 Champ Sidewinder
160 R-Pro Boss
168 z Avenger SS
175 Ching Power Genesis
165 Champ T-Bird
167 Champ Orc
167 Z Surge
168 Z Surge SS
168 Champ Wraith
Oh my goodness. I'd Narrow that down to TeeBird, XL, Sidewinder, Orc, Beast and Firechicken just to start managing. The Firechicken is a keep because you need an overstable driver. Pick either the TeeBird or Orc and then either the XL, Sidewinder or Beast. You might be able to carry two of those if you keep the XL for controlled turnovers but find you can get significantly more D from the Sidewinder or Beast as a hyzerflip disc. I'm guessing if you really field test them you could live with just the XL. If it was me I'd keep the Firechicken, TeeBird and XL.

Mids:
174 Power Legacy
172 Z Buzz
170 Pro D Drone
175 DX ROC
168 Power Oracle
168 DX Cro
Pick either the Buzzz or Roc and go with it.

175 Beat Soft Wizard
175 New Soft Wizard
169 Newish Soft Wizard
174 Soft Magic
Looks good. You basically have multiples of one putter. I'd drop the Magic, but if you have a defined use for it no big deal.

So as you can see a lot of "I want to try everything" and not much bag structure.
Trying a lot of stuff is no big deal. I field test a lot of stuff. Very little of it actually gets into my bag. For example I field tested Cros but all I thought they added to the Rocs that I already had was a disc that was better for forehands. I don't throw many forehands so it didn't make sense for me to carry one. Everyone has to evaluate that themselves. For someone who throws predominately forehand I could see them carrying the Cro and dumping the Roc. Trying a lot of stuff in the field lets you make those decisions. Carrying all those discs during a round and trying to make those decisions on the course just distracts you from actually executing the shot.

DRIVERS:

169 Pro-D XL
177 Beat DX Firebird
170 DX TeeRex
172 DX TeeRex
169 Worn Pro-Wraith
167 Unthrown Z Crush
166 Worn Star Sidewinder
175 Champ Beast
175 Star Destroyer
174 Champ Boss
175 Star XCal
166 worn star wraith
169 Champ Sidewinder
160 R-Pro Boss
168 z Avenger SS
175 Ching Power Genesis
165 Champ T-Bird
167 Champ Orc
167 Z Surge
168 Z Surge SS
168 Champ Wraith

Mids:
174 Power Legacy
172 Z Buzz
170 Pro D Drone
175 DX ROC
168 Power Oracle
168 DX Cro

175 Beat Soft Wizard
175 New Soft Wizard
169 Newish Soft Wizard
174 Soft Magic

In bold, cut down to those and you should be able to do any drives you need, but also add in your longest disc and maybe a utility disc for OH/other shots

Mids I wont touch as I dont have a favorite yet and either havent tried or not as big of fan as others on the ones you have listed, but I would try to get that down to no more than 3 personally.

Putters; do you really need 3 Wizards? Its a preference thing so whatever.

Just thin down. Ask yourself "How often do I really throw this disc?" and "can I make close to the same shot with a disc I throw more often anyway?"

In bold, cut down to those and you should be able to do any drives you need, but also add in your longest disc and maybe a utility disc for OH/other shots

Mids I wont touch as I dont have a favorite yet and either havent tried or not as big of fan as others on the ones you have listed, but I would try to get that down to no more than 3 personally.

Putters; do you really need 3 Wizards? Its a preference thing so whatever.

Just thin down. Ask yourself "How often do I really throw this disc?" and "can I make close to the same shot with a disc I throw more often anyway?"

This....

I went through a similar purging a while back. My discs are in my signature, coming from about 15 different molds and 22 total discs, to 14 discs in 8 molds (maybe 9, I'm in and out with a DX Eagle)

My biggest distance is about 350ish with a Valkyrie. I've tried to go further with higher speed drivers but it doesn't work consistently, so I've pulled them. I'm taking the slower-disc-that-does-the-job approach, with good success and increased control and learning the different lines.

It takes some time, but start with your bread-and-butter discs, add a couple of big drivers, and see how much you can do with that. A few rounds of one putter, one mid, one fairway, and one distance driver will help this process. Your bag will grow around these core molds.

Last edited:
DRIVERS-
worn star wraith to fly like yor beast
worn sidewinder for rollers
champ wraith because its awesome
xcal for hyzers and long shots if you con toss 400
champ teebird because
get a stalker or two you will love them
z surge i throw 320ish and this won't flip and has nice fade
MIDS-
d drone, beat it in, get another drone. beat the drone should fly like a roc
z buzzz because the buzz is amazing